• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting style questioned by others?

Johnboy80

I have a question for the guys on here.
I'm wondering how many of you are often sneered at for choosing the hunting style that many of us probably share. For instance, in my home state of NC most people ( not all) are what I call box stand hunters during deer season. They either rifle hunt big bean fields from big box stands or other fields and paths which are baited with corn and simply wait for deer to come to it. Dont get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I for 1 have killed a many a deer from a box or ladder stand. But the older I got I realized that I was letting a bean field or a corn pile dictate how good of a hunter I was and I didnt like that. I don't think that I'm better than anyone else because of my style of hunting. But quickly tell some other hunters that you don't like to hunt over bait, hunt from box stands, gun hunt much or shoot 2.5 yr old bucks anymore and you would have thought you killed their dog. To me there is just something about taking the path less traveled and putting in alot of time scouting and preparing new stand sites that makes the reward of killing a big buck so much better. Anyways just wondering if any of you guys ever catch heat for being different.

I'm wondering how many of you are often sneered at for choosing the hunting style that many of us probably share. For instance, in my home state of NC most people ( not all) are what I call box stand hunters during deer season. They either rifle hunt big bean fields from big box stands or other fields and paths which are baited with corn and simply wait for deer to come to it. Dont get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I for 1 have killed a many a deer from a box or ladder stand. But the older I got I realized that I was letting a bean field or a corn pile dictate how good of a hunter I was and I didnt like that. I don't think that I'm better than anyone else because of my style of hunting. But quickly tell some other hunters that you don't like to hunt over bait, hunt from box stands, gun hunt much or shoot 2.5 yr old bucks anymore and you would have thought you killed their dog. To me there is just something about taking the path less traveled and putting in alot of time scouting and preparing new stand sites that makes the reward of killing a big buck so much better. Anyways just wondering if any of you guys ever catch heat for being different.

I just think of it like anything else: there are varying degrees interest, skill and dedication.

In your analogy I'm the bean hunter when it comes to golf. I dust off the 20 year old clubs twice per year and let the amount of alcohol dictate how well I play . There are some guys who play a couple rounds per month and others who play all year an work on their swing in the winter and travel to play in warmer locations.

In hunting I was frustrated (and almost quit) when I bowhunted out of ladderstands my first two years. Thankfully, I had one dumb enough to cross my path at 8 yards and respark my interest. It made me realize I had to work harder if I wanted to dictate my own success.

I bought a mobile setup and started using a climber the following year. I picked spots at random and quickly realized I was seeing more deer but never close enough. It made me realize I had to work harder if I wanted to dictate my own success.

I decided to collect as much information as I could by reading books by hunters and deer biologists with decades of experience. Hands down the best hunting book I read was John Eberharts. I followed all of his advice for scouting and setups except I didn't hunt out of a saddle.

Fast forward to last year and I missed an opportunity at two mature bucks behind my tree. Wouldn't you know it John was right and I made the switch.

This year I harvested my first buck with a compound bow, and it was in my saddle. I plan to scout harder and prep more treees to allow for more opportunities for mature buck and to continue my evolution as a hunter.

Point being - yes I hear what your saying. Some people never leave the ladder stand or box blind. They have may not have the interest, commitment, or skill to do so. Because of that they're dependent on the bean field and they may not be as selective as a hunter who has more opportunities with mature deer.

Hang in there and continue to evolve. This community is here to support you. I am no where near as evolved as half the guys here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone used to believe the world was flat except Galileo. Most of my hunting friends think I am nuts and they have all hunted much longer. A preset ladder stand is easy most like easy

Hunting is a meat harvest festival for me. I was raised shooting deer out of a box blind with a rifle. I then became an enthusiastic bow hunter when i was 19 I got obsessed with targeting big bucks and wound up with less meat in the freezer and hunting became a grind instead of a festival. I quit bow hunting for awhile due to frustration caused by a huge buck i chased for 4 years. Got back to it about 4 years ago. I still hunt fair chase on Public land but now days my freezer is full. I enjoy scouting and putting in all the work it takes to be a successful bowhunter where its 100% fair chase with no baiting or food plots. Its good for the soul and rewarding to me. My freezer is full of tasty venison thanks to the good Lord who blesses me. I put myself in high percentage situations nowdays instead of keying in on horns and still usually get a decent buck now and then but when it comes down to it you cant eat the horns!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Plain and simple......yes. But there is hunting and there is waiting. Would I see/shoot more by dumping a pile and waiting? Probably. Would I have the same feeling about success? Not likely.

The vast majority is fine being strictly opportunistic.

But the older I got I realized that I was letting a bean field or a corn pile dictate how good of a hunter I was and I didnt like that. I don't think that I'm better than anyone else because of my style of hunting. But quickly tell some other hunters that you don't like to hunt over bait, hunt from box stands, gun hunt much or shoot 2.5 yr old bucks anymore and you would have thought you killed their dog. To me there is just something about taking the path less traveled and putting in alot of time scouting and preparing new stand sites that makes the reward of killing a big buck so much better. Anyways just wondering if any of you guys ever catch heat for being different.

I've caught some heat for being different but I've found it's easier to just speak the language of the hunter I'm talking to and leave it at that. If I'm talking to a box hunter, telling them I don't like hunting out of a box isn't going to lead to a productive conversation. So instead talk about food plot mixes or the big buck somebody took and part as friends.

More to the point of taking the road less traveled, at a lease I used to hunt, I loved the fact that most of the guys hunted the same stands over the same food plots all year. It left a lot of the property with very little to no pressure.

I've caught some heat for being different but I've found it's easier to just speak the language of the hunter I'm talking to and leave it at that. If I'm talking to a box hunter, telling them I don't like hunting out of a box isn't going to lead to a productive conversation. So instead talk about food plot mixes or the big buck somebody took and part as friends.

More to the point of taking the road less traveled, at a lease I used to hunt, I loved the fact that most of the guys hunted the same stands over the same food plots all year. It left a lot of the property with very little to no pressure.

I'm new to this style of hunting and have a lot to learn especially about getting the right equipment but when I've talked to my friends about ti, many I have looked at me like I'm crazy. I don't know a lot of bow hunters, mostly they rifle hunt which I don't do. I took up saddle hunting to be mobile on public land that is archery only while all the rifle hunters were in their crop fields hunting. I still hunt out of a hang on stand on some property but I am liking the flexibility of a saddle. It has become an incredible option for me to get into a place that I may not have tried before.

Let the naysayers think we're crazy, I'm good with that. Being different ain't all that bad!

For me a saddle is just a tool (albeit my preferred one) to help in the process of killing deer. I am an opportunistic hunter at this stage in my career and enjoy the hunt whether it be from a saddle, box blind, natural ground blind, ladder stand, or hang on. Though by far the majority of my hunting takes place from a saddle. (I may average less than 6 sits from a traditional stand/blind for the whole season).

I don't preach to other hunters for hunting the way they want to or rather for not hunting like I do, but I've noticed a lot of 'regular joe' hunters just aren't willing to do any more work necessary to increase their odds of success and continue to do things the same way over, and over, and over, and over, and over... while coming back in from the hunt and blaming everything but their unwillingness to try something different to successfully kill a deer.

But, to answer your question, I have gotten a few strange looks and some outright incredulity at saddle hunting. Most guys just can't wrap their head around that your saddle IS your stand and they it's safer than a hang on (when used properly).

I've killed a deer every year since I started saddle hunting. I'll do me and they can do them. I've got a buddy after a year of hunting from a stand and not being able to just pickup and move when he wants he's wanting me to help design a saddle for him for next year.

I've killed a deer every year since I started saddle hunting. I'll do me and they can do them. I've got a buddy after a year of hunting from a stand and not being able to just pickup and move when he wants he's wanting me to help design a saddle for him for next year.

My wife's ready for me to get her setup in a saddle because of the success I've had also.

Not sure if I should laugh, cry or scream

I am getting less and less flack recently. My father has a tremendous amount of deer travel instinct. He never has stopped to break down WHY they move the way they do, he just feels it. At first, when I started mobile, bedding based hunting, he said "it just doesn't work like that" and "just because they talk about it on the internet doesn't mean it works".
Even though I haven't put a buck on the ground this season or last, I have consistently been within range of deer, and passed a 3.5+ and a 2.5+ year old buck. All with very limited hunting time, and often going in blind based on topo and aerial photos.
Add to that, what few places he has gone in with me, the target area those strategies took me to matched his instinct perfectly. He is starting to come around to the idea that, perhaps, deer habits and preferences can be quantified.
With strangers, I try to simply stay within their realm of experience, speak vaguely, and act ignorant when they disagree.

My wife's ready for me to get her setup in a saddle because of the success I've had also.

My wife actually mentioned it this year as well. I need to let her try mine out to see what she thinks of it. Not being able to move around really hurts her chances in our area. She tried a climber and didn't like it. Preset sticks and a saddle might fit her better.

Your wallet might be crying for sure. ;) but hey then you'll get less sideways looks when you buy saddle gear. :D

To each his own, right? I still sit in box blinds and hang-ons when I'm hunting with others.

I actually think the saddle is at a disadvantage when it comes to getting new Hunters hooked on the sport. Guys are much more likely to try more traditional setups than going "all-in" right off the bat.

But for me, give me my spurs, saddle, and a big river bottom I can access via kayak. Doesn't get any better!

To each his own, right? I still sit in box blinds and hang-ons when I'm hunting with others.

I actually think the saddle is at a disadvantage when it comes to getting new Hunters hooked on the sport. Guys are much more likely to try more traditional setups than going "all-in" right off the bat.

But for me, give me my spurs, saddle, and a big river bottom I can access via kayak. Doesn't get any better!
This is coming from a guy that had all but hung up his spurs forever or listed them in the classifieds. Glad you stuck with them and realized the way of the most mobile hunting style ever!!!!!

I'm in your same boat living on the SC/NC line.

I enjoy the adventure and thought process in the hunting. Grew out of the big bean field box stand years ago when I started looking for more of a challenge. Many of my friends think I am the crazy one for the style of hunting I do.

Guess that's why I am primarily a solo hunter...........

Saddle hunting can be a great way to introduce people to hunting if it's 1-on-1 and you're relegated to hunting public land. I took a buddy out for his first time and I carried the sticks and he carried my hang-on. When we got there I hung the stand as per normal then just set me tether and set my hang for just behind him. With the sticks and stand I was able to rotate completely around the tree and watch his left side and behind us. The first time I put my daughter in a stand we might be doing it this way. That is unless she want's her own saddle by then :)

I got a lot of guff this year for my switch. I realized there would be some kinks along the way, but I'm happy with the progress and plan on having my day in the sun with them soon....oh so soon...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I took a buddy out for his first time and I carried the sticks and he carried my hang-on. When we got there I hung the stand as per normal then just set me tether and set my hang for just behind him. With the sticks and stand I was able to rotate completely around the tree and watch his left side and behind us. The first time I put my daughter in a stand we might be doing it this way. That is unless she want's her own saddle by then :)

Great idea. I'm in the same boat, my oldest daughter will be ready to hunt next year and that sounds like a great way to hunt together and can be done with all kinds of different stands.

Great idea. I'm in the same boat, my oldest daughter will be ready to hunt next year and that sounds like a great way to hunt together and can be done with all kinds of different stands.
I was using a onehair seat for that particular hunt. I think the T-Brace is the way to go if you're just along for the ride.

Back