• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting tactics that have made the difference

pilgrimhunter

@IkemanTX has a thread on gear that has changed your game. A few of us have commented (and derailed) into technique and tactics that have made a difference. So as not to derail his thread any further lets discuss that here. I would love to hear from ya'll as to what has made tactics you are using to get it done consistently.

As I mentioned in the other thread while I have hunted for almost 20 years now and have shot a lot of deer I have not been consistent in the past on harvesting good bucks. The last few years I have realized how little I actually know and have been trying to jam info into my head. :) I have learned a lot just through watching some of Midwest whitetails videos and have recently been turned on to Dan Infalt. Here in VA getting meat is not hard but quality bucks is what I am referring to. I think I am one that benefit from hearing about how you get it done consistently.
So what tactics have made the difference?

Bed hunting. Absolutely no doubt about it. I had kind of started implementing the tactics of hunting a bucks exact bed a few years ago and after I discovered Dan Infalt and the Hunting Beast it just took off from there. Now ill admit I am still a rookie at it compared to guys on that site but it has definitely helped a ton. The last few good bucks I have killed were a direct result of finding exactly where he was bedding and setting up an ambush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail riding saddles, tack, equipment and horse gear are our some of our favorite things! We have the largest selection of trail riding saddles, including treeless saddles to suit all styles of riding, and to fit all breeds of horses. We carry trusted, and tested riding gear from brands like Barefoot, Cashel, Cactus, Crates, Weaver, Toklat, Da Brim, EZ Ride, Trail riding Wear Down Under Saddle Supply and BOOTS, more! We've got what you need to keep you and your horse safe and comfortable on your favorite trail rides!

Legit saddle gear! Awesome!! LOL

Post season scouting has made a huge difference for me. My area doesn't have a lot of terrain features useful in narrowing down buck bedding enough to really hunt individual beds. I tend to find bucks around me have a primary bedding area (or two, or three) of several acres, with numerous beds within it. Rather than setting up on one, I set up on likely travel routes between the buck bedding areas and either food, girls, or staging locations.

Another tactic I find the most helpful is planning to accessing every property in a way no one else is willing to access it. Getting away from the crowd, and pressure, has really made a difference.

I'll second post-season scouting. Two years ago I started to post-season scout in earnest and have discovered my best spots on a few of the private parcels I hunt as a result. Both of those spots now have multiple stands and I have capitalized and killed deer two years running from the stands I setup as a result of the post season scouting.

This year i'm trying to up my scouting game and do a lot of public land scouting (18 miles on public land in the last 3 weekends, not too shabby). I've found some great looking spots. We'll see how good they look closer to season when everyone and their uncle starts marching into the woods.

I would say if you only do try one new tactic this year I would make it post-season scouting.

Last edited:
Post season scouting has made a huge difference for me. My area doesn't have a lot of terrain features useful in narrowing down buck bedding enough to really hunt individual beds. I tend to find bucks around me have a primary bedding area (or two, or three) of several acres, with numerous beds within it. Rather than setting up on one, I set up on likely travel routes between the buck bedding areas and either food, girls, or staging locations.

Another tactic I find the most helpful is planning to accessing every property in a way no one else is willing to access it. Getting away from the crowd, and pressure, has really made a difference.

The last two years I have really focused on post season scouting as well and it has definitely paid off. I start as soon as season closes in January and scout every chance I get until green up. This year I have really hit it hard and already have most of my areas trees picked out for the local properties I hunt. Starting this weekend through the rest of the month I will be hitting different public lands trying to narrow down some good areas. Like you, I have been looking for areas that are difficult to access by either using a kayak or a creek/marsh that other guys won't cross. My new Froglegs will be here today and I can't wait to try them for that purpose!

I'm also getting into the post season scouting. Already prepped 3 trees and cut shooting lanes. I believe it's going to make a huge difference for this up coming season.
Heading to Missouri this weekend to scout as much area as we can in 2.5 days but when we get back, I'll be hitting the hunting club, national forrest and the local WMA for sign.
Trying to cover as much territory as possible before green up.
The BIG PLUS to post season prep --- IT'S COOLER!!

I really started paying attention to wind direction a couple years ago and let it dictate where I hunted. My deer sightings and encounters have gone way up.

Hunting thick areas has helped as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Without question it has been going to 5 sticks and a three step aider. A close second would be stand entrance and third would be playing the wind.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Without question it has been going to 5 sticks and a three step aider. A close second would be stand entrance and third would be playing the wind.

Tell me more how the 5 sticks and aiders made such a difference. Are you getting scented a lot less?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Basically, I put a three step aider on my bottom stick and use a total of 5 sticks to climb. I use no scent control outside of rubber boots and I almost never get busted. If I do it is from a deer that is a long ways away as my scent stream is so high. If I go down to 4 sticks I will get busted a third of the time. That combined with playing the wind and planning my entrance and I rarely get busted. If it's really thick and I have to touch bushes I will ise gloves.

Back