• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

If there was...

polekat

a commercially available platform device that was lightweight and easy to carry, rock solid on the tree, attached to the tree in less than 5 minutes even in the dark, allowed easy 360 degree shooting range, and was comfortable to perch on, would you buy it? How much would you be willing to pay for something like that, something that you could walk in to Cabela's and pick up off the shelf?

Last edited:
Whatever ErniePowers is charging for his platform kit! Though it isn't a commercially advertised nor commercially sold kit,I believe the parts used in its design would be considered commercial.
thanks for the endorsement huck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I want commercially made strap on steps. I would up to $15 per step.

I would pay whatever it costs. GOD knows I've spent waaaaaaaaay too much money wading through every single option under the moon.

Up to $50 for 6 on a ratchet strap.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You posted this on archerytalk.com too.

If you build it they will come...

Yes I did. A design was given to me that I'm having great success with. It's easy to carry, weighs less than 4 lbs., goes on easily in less than 5 minutes even in the dark, is quiet and comfortable, and gives full 360 degree range of motion around the tree without having to move your feet. It's pretty good actually. I'm trying to get a gauge on if there's enough of a market for something like this to go to the time, effort and expense of obtaining a patent, starting up manufacturing, and whatever else is involved in a startup of this kind. From what I can tell, we are a very exclusive group of hunters. I don't know how many members this site has, but I see a lot of the same names doing the posting, so I figure it's fairly modest. I called New Tribe for their most recent 12 months sales figures, they told me that in the last year they had sold "about" 250 units. I'm leaning towards it might not be worth it...

It depends on what your definition of "worth it" is. You could spend 10k on patent work, and might not make that back selling a few hundred units yourself.

If you're pretty comfortable in business negotiations, I'd get the idea in front folks in the industry who have the manufacturing and marketing expertise to actually turn a profit. If your idea is as good as you say it is, the money you can make from your cut of profit will far outweigh what you can do on your own. You may not have the upside of doing things yourself, but it comes with virtually no risk.

At worst, I'd at least consider partnering with someone who has one of the three key components of success in this type of business: marketing expertise, manufacturing capability, or startup expertise. If all three aren't in place, you'll end up in the same place as if you had just told the world your idea in the first place.

You probably know all of these things if you're considering something like this, but worth a mention.

There are tens of millions of hunters in the states. There might be a few million who don't hunt private land with pre-set permanent stands. There might be a million who exclusively hunt "mobile". There might be hundreds of thousands who hunt "mobile" and go to bass pro/cabela's/****s or google "lightest deer stand in 2017" and purchase what's most available. There might be tens of thousands who would frequent niche hunting forums or do in depth searches on mobile hunting set ups, risking time/money in the search of the best system. Those who would be willing to pay what it takes to make your product profitable may number in the hundreds, possibly thousands.

I think your best bet is to let the industry leaders convince millions of folks they need to add your product to their arsenal, if money is the name of the game.

I would like Double wide Ameristeps.
I have my ameristeps pinched together so that 2 actual steps make up one step. It has worked for me a long time. Took some work to get it just right but I like it.

Yes I did. A design was given to me that I'm having great success with. It's easy to carry, weighs less than 4 lbs., goes on easily in less than 5 minutes even in the dark, is quiet and comfortable, and gives full 360 degree range of motion around the tree without having to move your feet. It's pretty good actually. I'm trying to get a gauge on if there's enough of a market for something like this to go to the time, effort and expense of obtaining a patent, starting up manufacturing, and whatever else is involved in a startup of this kind. From what I can tell, we are a very exclusive group of hunters. I don't know how many members this site has, but I see a lot of the same names doing the posting, so I figure it's fairly modest. I called New Tribe for their most recent 12 months sales figures, they told me that in the last year they had sold "about" 250 units. I'm leaning towards it might not be worth it...
Wether it's worth it on a grand scale or not, I'd be interested if you ever just wanna make these and sell them via hunting forums. Sounds neat.

Wether it's worth it on a grand scale or not, I'd be interested if you ever just wanna make these and sell them via hunting forums. Sounds neat.

Patents and everything are expensive but it could still be worth it. If it is something that is easily made by an individual in the garage, maybe not.

However, as mentioned, you could always see how they do by making and selling on here. Kinda like the platforms you see on the site. Yes, any of us could make the kit but it is easier and faster to get it from @Erniepower. (I believe is who makes one.) This way you still make a little! Whatever you choose, don't keep the idea hidden. Either make them or don't but either way, we want to see what you are doing!

Curious to know more but not sure if our definitions of small, light and silent are the same. For reference, I usually use 4 ameristeps on a strap with an OCB.

I would pay money for something that was smaller, lighter, quieter and as comfortable and stable as that setup. Or at least 3 out of those 5 things. Throw easier to put up in the mix, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would pay at least what I paid for 5 ameristeps on a strap if it was better... +$100 or even more if it was super better - $200. If you don't patent it then just market it. Maybe no one will copy it because the market is small.

Just like most people on here I also have some ideas and have been thinking the same thing. But holy cow only 250 units a year! I figured it was small but I would have thought 10,000/yr.

P.S. Something to know about patents are it's first to file, a document idea is no longer defendable. This is relatively new.

Back