• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Imagine these situation while in saddle

bubba g

One of the areas i hunt is loaded with black bears.. its an old apple orchard that isnt managed... all of the apples are left where they fall... i am a little reluctant to use a saddle at that spot after seeing these videos...lol

Wow... no comments...

Figured you guys would have some good responses...

Started typing last night then got sidetracked lol. I've had 2 bears start to climb the tree with me in it. Thankfully they didn't come more than a couple foot off the ground.

Pants = Destroyed.

This happened to my dad on a bear hunt in Saskatchewan. He was so scared he killed the bear even though it was a juvenile boar and far from a trophy.

I was always told. Not to worry about bears. They are more afraid of you then you are of them. Just wave your hands in the air, and they will take off like a bat out of hell etc. Then i encountered a bear the first day i hunted the apple orchard. Took over 3 minutes for me to get him to leave... i started out calmly saying "hey bear" by the end i was yelling on the top of my lungs, and it just stared straight at me... finally it ran away like a bat out of hell... this was just before dark too... fun walk back to car

Id be lying if i said i didnt start to panic after a couple minutes... i picked up some bear spray on my way home that day.. i almost always carry it when i hunt now... i at least carry regular mace with me always...

Holy crap, that brown one looked angry!
Started typing last night then got sidetracked lol. I've had 2 bears start to climb the tree with me in it. Thankfully they didn't come more than a couple foot off the ground.
I'm bringing bear spray on bear-a-palooza!

Just bury your pants and wear your coat around the waist, haha

yep....lol j/k

but seriously bear spray should work on anything you encounter in the woods... if it doesn't work completely by running off whatever is daring enough to challenge you it should at least provide enough of a handicap that you should be able to get away unscathed.... or as close as possible...

My buddy had one looking at him at the bottom of the tree and I'm pretty sure he pooped his pants lol.

I have never had a problem with any of the bears I have encountered, and it is probably approaching 100 at this point. The two instances where they started to climb my tree were the scariest, but the bears were definitely just curious.

That being said we have had 2 fatal bear attacks in our small state in the past few years. One was a bear who hunted down a hiker and was observed acting aggressively by someone else earlier. The other was a scout leader who went into a cave that the bear happened to be in... The problem is that there are too many bears in an area already over populated by humans.

Holy crap, that brown one looked angry!

I'm bringing bear spray on bear-a-palooza!
For the record, it isn't legal to carry bear spray here. Which is crazy after what I typed above. But that's our crazy state. I would gladly take a ticket if I ever got one for carrying it, and it would be sad if someone actually gave a ticket for it.

My buddy had one looking at him at the bottom of the tree and I'm pretty sure he pooped his pants lol.

I have never had a problem with any of the bears I have encountered, and it is probably approaching 100 at this point. The two instances where they started to climb my tree were the scariest, but the bears were definitely just curious.

That being said we have had 2 fatal bear attacks in our small state in the past few years. One was a bear who hunted down a hiker and was observed acting aggressively by someone else earlier. The other was a scout leader who went into a cave that the bear happened to be in... The problem is that there are too many bears in an area already over populated by humans.

For the record, it isn't legal to carry bear spray here. Which is crazy after what I typed above. But that's our crazy state. I would gladly take a ticket if I ever got one for carrying it, and it would be sad if someone actually gave a ticket for it.

That is crazy... i'd love to hear the reasoning for that from those who made up the rule...

Im with you though. I think id take my chances and hope game wardens would not enforce such a ridiculous rule...

Agreed.

Just don't face into the wind when your hitting him with the spray. That would suck. Kindly ask Yogi to face downwind before you spray him.

From everything ive heard, or read black bears dont charge right after people when they attack... they kind of walk you down...

If you run away however all bets are off.... it is their natural instinct to chase... if you stand your ground they will almost certainly be cautious in approaching a human... should give you a chance to position yourself so the wind is at your back...

That is crazy... i'd love to hear the reasoning for that from those who made up the rule...

Im with you though. I think id take my chances and hope game wardens would not enforce such a ridiculous rule...
The rule is you're only allowed to carry 3.75 oz (I think, @sojourner knows it better) of pepper spray. No mention of bear spray or anything so I'm sure its related to crime and not bears.

You would also have to commit a crime that got you arrested, otherwise they wouldnt know you had it. :sunglasses:

Back