• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

In his bedroom - UPDATE (help)

bigcat93

SH Member
So one of my more “urban” spots in a couple acre lot of woods between some houses has proved to keep some good deer.

I bumped this buck Friday afternoon, he was bedded 22 yards from the tree I planned to set up in behind some felled trees covered in vines and I never saw him until he bounded up the hill and walked away. We’ll it seems he didn’t bust out completely as the landowner sent me this pic from her backyard today around 1215pm..

work schedule is tough but plan on hunting tomorrow and Wednesday morning, possibly all day Friday if I need/can swing it. I have him 3 days in a row on camera coming in early about 40 mins before shooting light up to about 1 hour after shooting light starts, regardless he’s hanging in the area

Any tips going after this one? Biggest deer I’ve been able to lay eyes on, let alone possibly harvest so I don’t wanna booger this up
88D10A14-42CC-46BD-A105-6D6B5DACAA8F.jpeg

I’m no giant buck slayer, but my thoughts would be one or all of the following:
-set up a little further away
-windy day would help with your noise/movement if it is in the forecast
-go an hour earlier, take your time and be quiet

Check the times he is coming in and out and go back on the weather history to get the wind direction those days. Try to line up similar weather and winds to his time on the camera and pick a good spot where he won’t wind you traveling thru. Plan to get there early and go slow getting in. If you can get a good ground spot that would be easier to get situated. After the first hour if he doesn’t show do a little rattle and bleat, still no show then get up in the tree and wait.

Check the times he is coming in and out and go back on the weather history to get the wind direction those days. Try to line up similar weather and winds to his time on the camera and pick a good spot where he won’t wind you traveling thru. Plan to get there early and go slow getting in. If you can get a good ground spot that would be easier to get situated. After the first hour if he doesn’t show do a little rattle and bleat, still no show then get up in the tree and wait.
Seems like we have similar weather and wind from when I have him moving in late morning on camera

If you can (permission wise), why not try to kill him where he's standing in that picture? Sure it might be cooler to set up over the bed you bumped him out of and shoot him coming back to it at gray light, but the most recent intel you have on him is that picture... Moon was overhead at 12:09 today. Whether you subscribe to that kinda thing or not, that's when he was there today. Take it for what it's worth but I did my first all day sit of the year today and saw 2 deer, a doe at 12:04, and a shooter buck around 12:15. If it were me, I'd be thinking about calling out of work tomorrow, getting in a tree around 10 am prepared to sit til dark, but fully expecting to kill him by 2. Awesome buck dude, hope you get him.

So one of my more “urban” spots in a couple acre lot of woods between some houses has proved to keep some good deer.

I bumped this buck Friday afternoon, he was bedded 22 yards from the tree I planned to set up in behind some felled trees covered in vines and I never saw him until he bounded up the hill and walked away. We’ll it seems he didn’t bust out completely as the landowner sent me this pic from her backyard today around 1215pm..

work schedule is tough but plan on hunting tomorrow and Wednesday morning, possibly all day Friday if I need/can swing it. I have him 3 days in a row on camera coming in early about 40 mins before shooting light up to about 1 hour after shooting light starts, regardless he’s hanging in the area

Any tips going after this one? Biggest deer I’ve been able to lay eyes on, let alone possibly harvest so I don’t wanna booger this up
View attachment 74572
First off I hope you score. Had a similar situation. Force movement. Set shooter down wind of suspected exit. Send a driver slowly waking downwind toward shooter. It has worked for me. Good luck.

So he came in QUICK. Didn’t see him until he was 18 yards away B-lining it for my tree and by the time I drew back he was under me. Caught my wind behind me at about 5 yards and jumped to around 10 yards hard quartering away..took the window I had. Can’t find arrow, angle of shot seemed OK. But I did find my insert and broadhead.. blood showed up about 40 yards later. Have a tracking dog coming to help.
What do you guys think?4F68109D-29B1-493F-8640-37CD3B6D0109.jpeg2827D1C8-008B-4931-A7B2-63544E59047D.jpeg

So he came in QUICK. Didn’t see him until he was 18 yards away B-lining it for my tree and by the time I drew back he was under me. Caught my wind behind me at about 5 yards and jumped to around 10 yards hard quartering away..took the window I had. Can’t find arrow, angle of shot seemed OK. But I did find my insert and broadhead.. blood showed up about 40 yards later. Have a tracking dog coming to help.
What do you guys think?View attachment 74617View attachment 74618

I think you need to take a breathe and take it all in. Grab a coffee, something to snack on, and give it a few. Relive it over and over.

Then tidy up, fix your hair, and get ready to claim your prize.

First off congrats! Secondly, good call on getting a dog and not pushing the buck. Give him time to die on its own. With the broadhead and shaft found like that I would say it probably broke off after going through the deer, so you will likely have a low exit. That is good for blood trails. Good luck and keep us posted.

If you are unsure about the hit, back out. With a dog coming, you don't want to walk all over the trail. Since you found the insert and broadhead I think you have two holes but the arrow is in him which could affect the blood trail but a dog doesn't need blood to track.

Where do you think the entrance was? If he was hard quartering away, you may enter the guts and push up into the vitals. A gut shot deer is dead on it's feet but you don't want to bump him. If you got into (and out of) the chest, it could still take a few hours if it's liver and one lung.

It will be hard but have patience and wait till mid afternoon to track. Do you have permission to search neighboring properties?

Congrats!!!!!!! Based on your description, hard quartering away & no arrow….. the broadhead should be from the exit would not the entry or youlld have your arrow. Dead deer, give it time excellent call on the dog. Make sure to document the recovery it will be fun to relive it later…… can’t wait to see pics!

If you are unsure about the hit, back out. With a dog coming, you don't want to walk all over the trail. Since you found the insert and broadhead I think you have two holes but the arrow is in him which could affect the blood trail but a dog doesn't need blood to track.

Where do you think the entrance was? If he was hard quartering away, you may enter the guts and push up into the vitals. A gut shot deer is dead on it's feet but you don't want to bump him. If you got into (and out of) the chest, it could still take a few hours if it's liver and one lung.

It will be hard but have patience and wait till mid afternoon to track. Do you have permission to search neighboring properties?
I think it was a decent shot with the angle I had, my plan was to aim for the exit hole but it may have exited behind shoulder rather than in front.. I think the arrow is in him as well.

I think it was a decent shot with the angle I had, my plan was to aim for the exit hole but it may have exited behind shoulder rather than in front.. I think the arrow is in him as well.

That's a hard shot angle to recover from. You took out a bunch of plumbing on the way through.

Back