• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Issues Splicing Amsteel

Matt G.

Oct 18, 2017
SE LP Michigan
Hey guys......

Just got 100' of 1/4" Amsteel to screw around with,and decided the first order of business was to splice a fixed bridge for my Kestrel.

I watched G2's video, and it seemed easy enough. I of course ran into issues. I bought an 8 mm knitting needle from Wal Mart. It's the same color as G2 uses in his video, and I presume it to be the exact same one. I cut the end to a 45, and smoothed it out with the dremel. Once attempting to make my splice, I was unable to feed the Amsteel into the open end of the needle, or fid. If I taped the end to the needle, I was able to splice my ends through the rope, but was unable to get the bury all the way through. Ended up getting my bury halfway in, and having it disconnect from the fid. So.....had to abort mission on that one.....but gained confidence that the bury isn't coming out!!

I can't see going to a bigger fid, as the size I have seemed about as big as the 1/4" Amsteel could accommodate. What am I missing here?

Thanks guys. I've been sitting on this issue all afternoon......glad things are back online! Hell of a resource.

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
Did you use the pusher to push the fid through the amstel? Thats what I did and it seemed to hold the amstel in the fid as it bury'd.

Matt G.

Oct 18, 2017
SE LP Michigan
Did you use the pusher to push the fid through the amstel? Thats what I did and it seemed to hold the amstel in the fid as it bury'd.

I tried that, but couldn't get it to go. I was actually able to get the cut end that came taped to bury, but I had to tape it to the fid. Any end that I've cut and begins to fray a bit just won't fit.

I'm wondering if I need to melt the ends and taper them a bit.

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
I tried that, but couldn't get it to go. I was actually able to get the cut end that came taped to bury, but I had to tape it to the fid. Any end that I've cut and begins to fray a bit just won't fit.

I'm wondering if I need to melt the ends and taper them a bit.

Oh man, I'm not sure about that, I haven't seen anyone try and melt amstel.

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Oct 25, 2015
Minneapolis MN
I wrap tightly in electrical tape then cut through the tape. Then you can bury the end inside itself.

You can also use a torch to melt the ends while the tape is on and remove the tape after it's melted

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
For a fid, I used a piece of xx75 arrow shaft in 1916 (if I'm correctly remembering that size).I just cut the shaft on a 45 and kept the field point as the tip. It was my 1st and only attempt at splicing 1/4" Amsteel so I'm not practiced at doing it...my method worked perfectly the 1st try.

Reactions: d_rek

Sincyrman

Jan 12, 2016
If I recall correctly, you use a pusher/puller to pull the bury through. Only use the fid when bringing the line through itself for the brummel.

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
For a fid, I used a piece of xx75 arrow shaft in 1916 (if I'm correctly remembering that size).I just cut the shaft on a 45 and kept the field point as the tip. It was my 1st and only attempt at splicing 1/4" Amsteel so I'm not practiced at doing it...my method worked perfectly the 1st try.

That's a great idea. I got a couple junk carbon arrows I could hacksaw down that would probably work perfectly!

Matt G.

Oct 18, 2017
SE LP Michigan
I ended up buying next next biggest sized knitting needle, and it worked out fine. It was still a pretty tight fit when burying the tag end, but it got the job done

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I have just used a wire hanger for all the amsteel splicing I've ever done.

Matt G.

Oct 18, 2017
SE LP Michigan
So I now have a fixed Amsteel bridge. Still waiting for the Zing It to arrive to lock stitch, but I'm basically there.

I did notice one issue that makes me a bit uneasy. The edges of the red webbing on the inside of my Kestrel are melted and sharp. I noticed that the Amsteel is snagging, and fraying a bit. Anyone else notice this? I'm thinking I'll wrap some hockey tape, but I don't think that'll last very long.

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
So I now have a fixed Amsteel bridge. Still waiting for the Zing It to arrive to lock stitch, but I'm basically there.

I did notice one issue that makes me a bit uneasy. The edges of the red webbing on the inside of my Kestrel are melted and sharp. I noticed that the Amsteel is snagging, and fraying a bit. Anyone else notice this? I'm thinking I'll wrap some hockey tape, but I don't think that'll last very long.

Hockey tape should do well. You could also melt the sharp edges again and smash it down nice and smooth. You won't lose any strength that way.