• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

John E. gets another Michigan Slammer

d_rek

Sep 25, 2014
SELP Michigan
Just saw this posted on facebook via Scentlok:

14882337_10154060874398811_3475625307825917815_o.jpg

Full post here.

And let's all congratulate John on another fine Michigan buck! Someone will have to reach out and bug him for the story of this guy. ;)

Regards,
d_rek

halltrail

Oct 16, 2014
Nice Buck John. Your books have been great at helping me get some nice bucks.

Last edited:

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
Great buck! Mausty get the story?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just left a messag after I saw d_rek posted this.
Hopefully this means he has a little more free time and can post up the story himself!
If not, I will post the link to the scent lok blog. And I will try to get us a little inside details on how he adjusted the saddle and worked thru the issue with the deer coming thru on the wrong side. I know he'd be happy to share that with all of us.

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014
Hey guys

Will write articles on both deer when I get back from Kansas (leaving on the 16rth). In short the 11 point (11-12-2016) grossed 140 and was taken at a very tight pinch point leading into a cattail marsh at 7:45 AM and I hit him about 4 inches back and in the liver. I didn't trail him until dark and he died in a nearby river.

The 10 point (8 point with stickers on each brow) grossed 144 and he was taken just before dark at a primary scrape area next to an apple tree that never produced apples this year. Both bucks were chasing does when they came in.

I almost can't believe the big bucks I've taken the past 3 years in Michigan and that they have been moving relatively frequently during daylight hours. Although I'm hunting in a very pressured area, the majority of hunters are now passing on 1 1/2 year old bucks (almost all others will take 2 1/2 year olds) and I think it's making a slight difference in their movement habits and times. When they pass by hunters as 1 1/2 year olds without consequence, they don't alter their movement habits very much during their second antlered season and many of the other hunters are taking nice 80 to 95 inch, 12 to 15 inch wide 2 1/2 year old 8 points (especially during gun season).

So the 2 1/2 year olds that make it through get a lot smarter, however they were only targeted one year instead of 2 and I believe it's making a difference in the vulnerability habits. May be wrong, but it's the only reason I can think of for the dramatic change in movement habits as 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 year olds.

I've taken 6 - 3 1/2 year old or older bucks in Michigan in the past 3 years and the only one that came in late when I shot him was the 10 point this year, however he came in an hour earlier and worked one of the scrapes and was facing me the entire time at about 13 yards so I never took the poor shot angle.

John

bowhunterchuck

May 10, 2014
This is the same thing going on in my area.....the really old bucks seem to be easier to shoot than the 4 and 5 year olds ?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk