• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

John E Sling

Maustypsu

I'm using cheap screw in steps here in place of CRANFORD screw in T's. Do NOT use steps. My feet are on the ground for this informational demo.

First the overall set up. It is based on an Anderson or Big Buck sling.
Fixed webbing bridge permanently affixed to a webbing "tether". Which isn't really a tether like you are used to...

8c7ee887652c3a0b370059fc8ea4084d.jpg

These pics show the bridge and tether. Cool how they stitched the bridge to double it up and make it thinner where it moves thru the attachment to the "tether".

d5c05f225d35b8408a09f37a441688c5.jpg
bcf6c0eb7108fee9946f553df20e0b71.jpg

Here it is on a tree

6d182c57970a611508563644b3118647.jpg

6cd16bbe5b50ee89d3a9a8748572be15.jpg

Here you can see the amount of adjustment that is built in.

f02ed107bbcc9efade4cc10bcb1eb71c.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty slick. I can't say I'm a fan of having to use 2 screw in steps though. That strap looks bomb proof!

I would seriously look at how the bridge and lead strap rub together. With the movements we make there is going to be a lot of webbing on webbing contact.

I hate to nit pick safety stuff, but webbing can decrease in strength quickly when abraded. I would hate to see you take a drop because you didn't add a carabiner between those that would only cost you 75 grams and $20!

Otherwise that looks awesome.

I would seriously look at how the bridge and lead strap rub together. With the movements we make there is going to be a lot of webbing on webbing contact.

I hate to nit pick safety stuff, but webbing can decrease in strength quickly when abraded. I would hate to see you take a drop because you didn't add a carabiner between those that would only cost you 75 grams and $20!

John has been using this style for years and perfected it to what you see here.

I do believe John uses T Screws instead of steps. Sorry but I cannot work up the guts to go with a system that does not go completely around the tree. I know it is probably safe but I just cannot bring myself to try it. I do use a T Screw to keep my rope up to height so I can slacken it, rotate it, if I need to.

1403_randyWheelBarrowA.jpg

I know what you mean Dave, Im not about to give that a go either. However Ill stand on a single tree step with all my weight and not sweat it, so a longer T screw going into the tree at a 45 deg angle is probably stronger.

Boone, while it is modified, that is the tree saddle tether and that is exactly how it works in connection with the bridge out of the box. It is very heavy duty webbing and I would not worry about any of those issues.

I would NOT use screw in steps at height. Cranford T screws. I also bought some long hex screw stakes. That will be more secure than any step.

Wear a tree hopper or run a rope around to your bridge as a back up.

What possible benefit do you get from hanging from screws? I guess you can set up on any diameter tree that way...but no. not me

What possible benefit do you get from hanging from screws? I guess you can set up on any diameter tree that way...but no. not me

Yes, any diameter tree is one benefit. But until you try it, I can't convince anyone of the comfort and also simple adjustability of this system. If John had a bunch of Ropmen and this forum a few decades ago, he may have come up with something different. But there has to be a reason he is still swinging like this despite the Manufacturers being happy to send him any of their saddles if he'd use and promote them.

I have no interest in talking anyone into using this and I share the hesitance when it comes to not having a big strong rope, wrapped around a big healthy tree. But I remember being scared to sit in the Web. Then I remember being scared of the Ropeman. Then I remember worrying about how safe I would feel in the Ken Sling. Now I'm nervous about trusting my life to my own splicing... but I have a Fid on the way.

I'm a " let's consider the odds guy". And the odds point to this being perfectly safe when executed the way that he uses it. I'm gonna have this system because of its most noteworthy benefit. Hunting any tree often put us closer to our target deer and not having that option even more often hampers our success. Coupled with my trusty buckinghams, this thing will be deadly!!!!!

I did something similar to this last yr with my sit drag. Only difference was I used a lone wolf strap for my tree tether. I think I posted some pics in one of threads. Personally, I loved the adjustability of it with out the extra metal noise of caribiners, ropemans etc... What I didnt like was trying to unscrew the
t-screws on cold mornings. I literrally started taking a wrench with me to back them out. In addition, I climb with sticks so I dont hunt really big trees, no real need for the t-screws. Also, putting a rope around the trrr was quicker

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So how does one go about getting one of these setups?
Anderson/big buck sling was made in the 80's, and the strap comes from a trophyline tree saddle and trophyline went out of business. So you have to find the parts used on ebay and the classifieds. Not an easy task.

Back