• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Just got another property

Root

Since I'm new to the run and gun approach I'd like to see how you guys aerial scout for a run and gun rut hunt.
Here's the property.
_20171106_140447.JPG
The red is the property roughly 100 acres. The blue is all leased hunting land.

Since I'm new to the run and gun approach I'd like to see how you guys aerial scout for a run and gun rut hunt.
Here's the property.
View attachment 3250
The red is the property roughly 100 acres. The blue is all leased hunting land.

Looks like a great spot! Best of luck there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are u hunting red or blue or both? And I️ think if you zoom out a bit more you may get some better advice

5406c3bde1cdd6c96cbd3e944c32e39b.jpg

I would start in this area for evening hunt

0ff8128bce6ef3ac4b38d503066bf219.jpg

There appears to be a transition line roughly following where I marked. Sorry the artworks on my phone lol.

Ok next question is why would you choose those spots? I've mostly always done my scouting with my boots not my lap top so I'm trying to learn the ways of the run and gun.

This property hasn't been hunted in the last seven years!

Ok next question is why would you choose those spots? I've mostly always done my scouting with my boots not my lap top so I'm trying to learn the ways of the run and gun.

This property hasn't been hunted in the last seven years!

Wow that’s gonna be great hunting.

Pitch points and transitions are what you're looking for with aerials. Internet scouting will only show you good starting points to hunt and scout. Cannot replace boots on the ground and letting the deer show you how and where the tweaking will need to take place. Very rare to luck up and find the perfect tree from a digital screen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Need terrain map and topo map.
1. Right now I could only say bottom corner of the field especially the corner with the point they like to use the point to stay in cover to the last possible moment.
2. If you don’t see them in the field before dark come 75ish yards inside the wood line to find the deer staging area before the enter the field.
3. With a topo or terrain map you might see subtle features that might cause deer to move through a certain area.
4. Look where pines meet hard woods. Or thickets meet hard woods. Basically Any type of vegetation change.
5. Note persimmon trees, white oak trees, red oak trees, pignut trees.
That will get you zeroed in on where to scout the wear out some good boots and hunt. If I was hunting this year I would probably only scout in the rain. Or go in blind set up off map features and hunt. I would be worried about bumping deer off the place. What is the other side? I would make sure I pressured it less than property around me.

If the grass is low in the field, I’d set up in the field under one of those bushes where I could watch as much of the wood line as possible the 1st hunt. If I don’t see how they entering the field, I’d walk just inside the wood line and set up on best sign. Slowly working my way deeper each hunt. Might move in quicker if there were terrain feature to make a funnel or pinch.

Let's talk access routes into it. The property is basically field from one end to the other. Although it is a rolly field that crows in the center. The roast that looks like it runs front to back is a one lane driveway width seasonal right away road. No where to park on it. (this isn't my first rodeo, but I like opinions. Plus it's the last weekend in bow season)

_20171108_123544.JPG
Talking to the owner last night I pulled up a map on my phone and asked his opinion. He's not a deer hunter but knows his property line the back of his hand. He said the area I colored red is pretty wet kinda brushy area with a small stream/ditch that runs from there to the back of his property. I'd assume some kind of bedding area. The green is a patch of shorter pines that border a small wet hole. It also has a stream / ditch that runs front to back through the woods. He's seen does bedded in the blue area.

Right now I'd be about as far on the downwind side as I could. With a hunting club next door, the deer know it and will use it to their advantage. Maybe scout the low spots from a distance and then give yourself a view to observe movement. If that field has a corner that can't be seen easily that may be good as well. Inside corners, thick spots along edges, etc.

Hopefully Sunday will be the day to try this place out. Unless of course I get any kind of luck before then.

Check out caltopo.com

It allows you to layer in different maps, it is something I use a lot when scouting. Sadly they changed bing maps birdeye view and my areas are no longer available but if yours is I would also use that.

I no birdseye anymore here. I'll have to check out that other site thank you.

Back