• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Keeping Powder Dry

Iowabucksnbass

Our first gun season opens this Saturday and rain is forecast.
What do you guys do to keep powder dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put electrical tape over the barrel. Besides that nothing special.

I use one finger off a nitrile glove and a rubber band. No adhesive sticking to my barrel. I use it on my rifles too too keep snow out when crawling through brush.

Do you remove it before shooting?

Nope, don’t remove

The pressure in the barrel will blow a hole thru the tape

I’ve put electrical tape over the muzzle of every muzzleloader and rifle that I take to the woods since I was a kid

I’ve never had a problem with tape affecting accuracy

Rifles. Nothing
I used small water balloons for my Muzzle Loader. And since I started using blackhorn 209 nothing.

Put electrical tape over the barrel. Besides that nothing special.
X2

Rifles. Nothing
I used small water balloons for my Muzzle Loader. And since I started using blackhorn 209 nothing.

I could never get the water balloons over the end without ripping... any special tricks? lick it first? haha

Black horn 209 is very subseptible to moisture in my opinion. I have had nothing but trouble with it when I tried it. And yes clean breach plug and 209 primers for shot guns not muzzle loaders. I did everything right and no boom boom when the weather was cold snowy and I was tracking. 2 years in a row.

Black horn 209 is very subseptible to moisture in my opinion. I have had nothing but trouble with it when I tried it. And yes clean breach plug and 209 primers for shot guns not muzzle loaders. I did everything right and no boom boom when the weather was cold snowy and I was tracking. 2 years in a row.

I’m surprised to hear that. I’ve used BH for years in some really nasty conditions and only had one hang fire on a dry day lol. I’ve never done anything special to keep my gun dry either.

I don't want to get ranting on it. But tracked a very large Vermont buck on a single digit snowy day. Buck was shot following year and was 136 inch rack with a close to 200 lb body. That's very big up here. You know the type that holding the gun creates frost on the area your holding. Caught up to him and shot no bang, ran 4 more primers through it no bang all the time the buck has no clue I'm there and continues to feed while it snows and blows. I had a similar experience the next year on a doe similar weather. Might of had a bad batch but I must have shot 20 rounds at the range no issue. Cleaned everything including breach plug as specified by black horn and hunted a week later no boom boom. I've heard 100's of story's about how great it has worked but that's not my experience so I don't shoot it. Went back to 777 and not an issue since.

I don't want to get ranting on it. But tracked a very large Vermont buck on a single digit snowy day. Buck was shot following year and was 136 inch rack with a close to 200 lb body. That's very big up here. You know the type that holding the gun creates frost on the area your holding. Caught up to him and shot no bang, ran 4 more primers through it no bang all the time the buck has no clue I'm there and continues to feed while it snows and blows. I had a similar experience the next year on a doe similar weather. Might of had a bad batch but I must have shot 20 rounds at the range no issue. Cleaned everything including breach plug as specified by black horn and hunted a week later no boom boom. I've heard 100's of story's about how great it has worked but that's not my experience so I don't shoot it. Went back to 777 and not an issue since.

I've read that some breech plugs don't have a large enough primer hole for blackhorn. I believe CVA guns are known to have issues. I planned on switching one year but my son and I both shoot a CVA. I stumbled across a pretty detailed forum thread one time about the issue and how to resolve it but don't remember what site it was.

I read that also. I shoot a encore pro Hunter. Not sure just know I'm not going back to it. Didnt really shoot any better than my pellets just a ton cleaner. I'm sure it is great stuff and there is an explanation but it just isn't for me. Sorry for hijacking the thread

y
you might need a larger breech plug hole for the BH, I got one for my Knight & it solved all problems with the powder, Mike

My research supported that the breech plug on an encore is fine. The gun shot fine at the range. Over 20 rounds. Per session. 2 sessions. My only guess is I track during our muzzle season and the temps are usually below zero to 20 degrees. Because I’m on the move where the barrel and firearm meet my hand creates warmth and frost. This creates moisture in the barrel and that could be the issue. But BH imo is finicky. You have to use x and do this and add a little of that to make it work. Forget one thing and you could be out of luck. Again muzzle in Vermont is our late season hunt and temps below zero with snow very common. 777s have never not fired for me. Same accuracy and my setup is for shooting deer close not at 125 yards. I’m sighted at 50 yards and shoot a 20 inch barrel tracking gun.! I’ll stick with the 777s. Deer I shot this year was just standing out of its bed at 25 yards when I shot.

They have little single finger latex gloves at the drs. They look like mini condoms. Work awesome over end of barrel when raining.

Back