• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Keeping your hands warm?

justsomedude

I haven't found a warm glove that I love for holding the bow without getting too cold. I just bought some Kuiu guide gloves that will be my main glove. They are a midnight soft-shell glove with leather palms. Perfect for trees. I have merino liners I can wear under them.
GuideGlove_VC_FRnotag_1425x1825.jpg

I tried Arctic Shield GloMitts. Not amazing but they work...they get crunchy when it gets near freezing. They are easy to flip open (magnet holds them open). You can throw a warmer in them and survive.
Might try a GloMitt over the Kuiu.
ao-526800-800-720-12-onyx-arcticshield-youth-glomitts-realtree-ap__65316.1459970557.195.195.jpg

I have a bad BassPro hand muff. Might get a new good one with WindBlock. Any Recommendations? The Kestrel seems muff friendly.

I have a pair of Air Force arctic mitts with the thick wool inserts. I used them ground hunting in snow and they were great.
The Mitts are attached together with a line...you can stick your hand under your arm or between legs etc and quickly remove them and have them hanging in place (around you neck or from the tree) I even practice shooting with the left one on but you can't hold your arrow with your finger...(Recurve).
They are heavy though... 1.5#

146510_ts.jpg

i use a hand warmer muff with some of the activated heaters in there and then wear Sitka fanatic gloves. they are just enough to keep the chill off when using my phone or taking a shot, but without thumbs or index fingers, they allow me to use my release....

When I was at the ATA show a guy was selling mitts that had an elastic band which kept the mitt on your thigh. You could pull both hands out easily at the same time instead of using one hand to hold the mitt. On the top of the mitt was a clear vinyl sleeve that you could put your cell phone in. Supposedly you could use the phone screen through the plastic.

I also use a hand muff. Best thing ever. I have not worn gloves heavier than thin camo gloves for shooting in years. As the season progresses I will start to carry it and I'll use it by itself. When it gets colder I live by handwarmers in there.

I go the fleece muff with the chemical warmers as well, however....the older I get the less and less I like hunting below freezing. generally if it gets below 20 deg I'll stay in bed. lol. I started playing around with a pop up blind and a wood gasifier stove for heat, but its just too much cramp. so for me its hunt hard October - November, early December when its warm enough. I've learned that by the second week of Dec (2 weeks into gun season up here) that the deer have been 'well educated' by the gunners and have gone mostly nocturnal anyway.

I just found the heavyweight thinsulate Cabelas muff on eBay for $20 so I grabbed it.
My feet and hands always sweat...so I have to make sure I get enough ventilation without getting too cold.

How about keeping feet warm without sweating as you walk in? I still haven't found a good solution to this.

How about keeping feet warm without sweating as you walk in? I still haven't found a good solution to this.

Oder Eater foot powder. I suppose other powder would work as well but foot powder absorbs moisture helping keep feet dry. By its very nature the Oder Eater powder should be scent free (you'd need to verify that though).

Bring a second pair of socks in a small ziplock bag. Change them out at the base of your tree. Stuff sweaty socks in ziplock bag. Bring a 3rd pair if necessary (i've done this on all day sits).

I wear moisture wicking socks as a base layer. When I get close to the tree I take my boots off and put on my wool socks and footwarmers. I also walk in in minimal layers and put most of my warmer clothes on at this point too.

I also deal with sweaty hands and feet getting cold. My approach which has helped significantly is...

For hands, a windstopper muff (w/ chemical warmers if necessary) and either brown or camo cheap jersey gloves. This has worked better than any heaver glove I've ever tried and I've gone this route down into the single digits. I will wear heavier glove on way in/out and setting up, then switch to lighter gloves.

For feet, better moisture wicking socks. Also, I will apply the unscented arm and hammer roll on antiperspirant to my feet after I shower. This has helped significantly. I've seen a product called SweatBlock on amazon that is supposedly effective for a week each application. It gets great reviews. Will likely be trying it this year.

Drysol! Drysol! Drysol!

Ever since I started using this stuff, my feet stay much dryer.

I put it on at night then put plastic bags on my feet then put socks on over that. I do that for three days and my feet stay dry for a month. A couple touch up applications during the season and I'm good all year.

It's a prescription, but when I told my doctor what I wanted to do, she was happy to write the prescription.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wish there was something that worked that wasn't Aluminum based...but if i only use it Hunting I don't think I'll die :)

Hiking in just your base layer socks makes sense.

I'm planning on wearing lace up boots mostly this year so it will be a hassle but worthwhile

Wow...got the cabelas heavy thinsulate muff in the mail.
Conservatively, it is 100 times better than my old basspro muff.

The curved shape is really smart too. This looks like it will easily fit right into the Kestrel.

Wow...got the cabelas heavy thinsulate muff in the mail.
Conservatively, it is 100 times better than my old basspro muff.

The curved shape is really smart too. This looks like it will easily fit right into the Kestrel.
They are kinda expensive,(I think I paid $40 or more) but way worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back