• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone wolf strap for lineman belt

MilkWeed

Anyone else using a lonewolf strap for lineman belt? I started using one and even really tried much else. I bought it after I left one of my straps for a LW stick in the wood and like having it double as an extra in case. Anyone have any pros/cons after using LW as well as other options?

I did for a little bit at the beginning of the year. I didn't like having the cam buckle on there because it was another thing to bang around, and the strap is light weight so it is loose and easy to bang. That was really why i stopped using it. I like the design of the tree saddle strap the best so I went back to that for the time being. I plan on building a custom strap similar to the tree saddle one in the off season that will be much lighter.

Thanks redsquirrel. Looking forward to checking it out. I likely will try to duplicate what you build. I have liked your ideas so far.

I was trying to find the image. I just realized I didn't use a lone wolf strap but instead a ameristep cam buckle strap. It is basically the same thing. Here is a pic:
8d0e0211cb64da556aad72d1f77e1102.jpg

This is the design I like except that the webbing I was using wasn't long enough for some of my trees so I switched back to the trophyline linemans belt because it was longer. Its webbing is bulkier so that is why I plan on customizing with lighter webbing in the off season.
e656f2cbdbfe333faef4fb8e5b3f0598.jpg

I'm glad you have liked my ideas. This year I have done a ton of tinkering and I am trying to really hone in and optimize my system.

I used a lone wolf strap as my lineman belt for a while, but I went back to the original lineman belt on my saddle.

The webbing on the original is not that heavy and I like that it's a bit stiffer than LW belts. So I replaced the heavy caribiner with one lightweight aluminum caribiner on each side. This allows it to be entirely removable. I use it as a backrest once I'm tied in.

When I use my LW Assault stand, I still use a LW strap as my lineman belt for my Gorilla harness. It attaches to both sides of my harness with aluminum carabiners. Once I get up the tree and the stand is attached, I attach my tether, then I un-clip the linemans belt and it becomes the lower stand strap. All of my carabiners are silenced with cloth tape, so I just leave them hooked to the harness.

Like Red, I'm constantly changing things up if I find a better way, or think there could be a better way.

But I'm happy with my current system. I feel light years ahead of where I was 20+ years ago.

I also use a. LW strap... like how I can pack it up and putbit in a pocket.

DaveT1963 said:
I also use a. LW strap... like how I can pack it up and putbit in a pocket.

X2 - love the easy one hand adjustability and how small it can pack down to.

Looks like I'll have to try a LW or Ameriprise stap. I have used the original treesaddle lineman's belt until this year when I switched to a climbing rope and prussic knot lineman's belt. That works fine for me as long as I'm not seeing up Climb Paws where I find myself adjusting the belt a lot.

Back