• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for examples of DIY stick/platform builds and input on same

DMTJAGER

Recently watched a video (as well as others) where a guy(s) built his (their) own DIY saddle platform that bolted onto the top of his last climbing stick and I felt it might be a good idea to do a thread showing links to similar DIY stick/platform combinations
Link:
I saw one video where the guy made an absolutely amazing stick/platform mod, but the platform required a fair amount of machining to make it fit onto the stick to be supported and work properly and I have no past experience with hiring a machine shop for anything let alone a quite small machining job. Not saying I couldn't find a machine shop to do the work, I just don't know off hand of one that would. And I have no desire to use a 4" mini grinder to try to make my own metal cut outs.

I think such a stick/platform mod would be extremely useful especially for R&G public land hunting as it would save you considerable time and effort not having to set up a platform or other foot support system every time you hunt
I would like to build my own stick/platform and would like to see as many examples as there are before I start to spend $$$ and also such a stick mod obviously needs to be capable of withstanding whatever forces it would be subjected to almost indefinitely. My concern is I am a larger than average hunter at 6'-2" and around 275lbs fully outfitted for hunting so any stick/platform build/mod would have to be very strong. I am not an engineer and lack the knowledge to be able to design a platform that wouldn't end up subjecting the stick to increased torsional forces that would exceed it's structural capacities.

Also considering this would be only a single stick mod and not a set of four or more, would it be better building such a hybrid climbing stick/platform from scratch using materials that most DIY's use when building their own climbing sticks such as using aircraft grade aluminium square tubing and aftermarket climbing stick parts you can easily buy from climbing stick manufacturers?

Also would like to hear from seasoned DIYers their thoughts on if such a stick mod is a good idea or not, as you guys BTSIDT and would likely have far more experience at what looked GREAT on paper but not so much in the real world.

Or does anyone think I could simply buy an existing saddle platform and attach it to a climbing stick and make it work.

Lastly does anyone reading this have the engineering background to be able to give a determination as to the safety and viability especially for long term use of such a climbing stick modification?

Thanks,
Art.

How well this type of system works depends on the trees you hunt. I notice guys further north have open timber with clean straight trunks. Down here in the south it is quite the opposite. I tend to setup in very limby trees and having a platform that is as long as a climbing stick, i have found greatly limits where i can put it. Especially since i like my platform right over a limb when possible. I built one and thought it was a genius idea. But in application i found it to be not ideal anr i quickly went to a stand one platform.

Furthermore, a separate platform gets you a good bit more height. I run 3 sticks and they just dont get me that last few feet i want. A stand alone platform and 3 sticks does.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Like this.....

aa97c0b06c3096e888067f0e271a55f2.jpg

04bb66c5acd518155482031b3c9b99a1.jpg

7098dd3fd805b0cb744215427dbe2580.jpg

I started with this.

Those platforms have become hard to get hold of lately.

I positioned it so the OAL length of the stick wouldn’t get bigger (think packability) and to allow use of the top step if need be.

4d3b35da8d8651dfbe1c1d8616f840b2.jpg

0c82c68fed3af14e3406955fbb7e2122.jpg

Here’s what I made today with a lone wolf seat and a muddy pro stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Im diggin what you did here and going to try and replicate it. What did you use for spacers in mounting the lone wolf and did you take out the leveling bolt underneat? did you just tap your own hole on the stick or was there already one there? For both the platform and the cinch rope?
thanks and that thing looks great!

Hey Im diggin what you did here and going to try and replicate it. What did you use for spacers in mounting the lone wolf and did you take out the leveling bolt underneat? did you just tap your own hole on the stick or was there already one there? For both the platform and the cinch rope?
thanks and that thing looks great!

It was super easy. Just drilled a hole in the stick with a drill bit. I’d recommend toward the middle where you distribute the weight. For the LW seat I used the spacers and bolt from the stand. You’d probably want a thicker washer. I also left the adjustment screw in to keep the seat level.

I can offer some insight here I think. All these posts are helpful and great ideas. I tried this out myself (stick/platform mod) and decided quickly against using one. I alwaysset up with my platform (see vid) 90 degrees to the right or left of my top stick and slightly above. doing this allows me to pivot 360 degrees with absolutely no lateral movement of my platform or sticks(Muddy Pro). I was never happy with the mod to my stick. That being said it looks great and in theory should work . I just prefer the solid feel of a separate platform. See if you can try one out first. Find out how they pack these in and will that work for you. So little weight is saved by these stick mods I just prefer a traditional style DIY platform build or purchase. Good luck with your decision and stay safe.

I made this one last week and hunted it Saturday. I like it.

e24334d844c1ad1c1a19e7c8f1b24485.jpg

I need to do this. I found that I like 1 sticking over lwhc ten fold and wont be struggling to lift that lwhc any longer. I have been wanting to put a plat form on my mini stick. I am currently running cam cleat but also have a button on my stick for a cam strap to set it tight once at height. Where can I get a platform that doesnt require camming action like the seat I have with he “bat wings”

Back