• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lurker From KC

kcRhyno

I've been lurking after I heard about this site in a podcast with one of the Eberharts a week or so ago. Also, I just finished whitetail access, what a great book!
So now I'm interested in transitioning from a climber to a saddle system. I've done some looking around (not a ton), and it seems like a great strategy. I stay in shape and don't mind hiking a couple miles with my Summit Climber and a backpack. But it's also a very attractive idea of dropping the climber for a light weight saddle system. However, I have a 3 year old and a 5 month old. I don't really have 400 bucks to drop on a new system. So until I can afford the change, I'll probably continue to lurk this site and ask questions from time to time, as this idea and style of hunting is very intrieging.

Welcome Rhyno,
You have definitely joined the best form in the hunting world. These guys are awesome folks. There is no one on this site that will put you down for an asked question, type stand used, the size critter taken or anything of this nature.
We like to pick at each other here and there all in fun.
Dive in and share anything you feel free to. We will help you, I promise..

Welcome! Don't discount the possibility of a good used saddle. They come up on the classifieds here and on Archery Talk from time to time. Could be a less expensive way to get into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sit drags are cheap also from outside kc. Welcome

I've been lurking after I heard about this site in a podcast with one of the Eberharts a week or so ago. Also, I just finished whitetail access, what a great book!
So now I'm interested in transitioning from a climber to a saddle system. I've done some looking around (not a ton), and it seems like a great strategy. I stay in shape and don't mind hiking a couple miles with my Summit Climber and a backpack. But it's also a very attractive idea of dropping the climber for a light weight saddle system. However, I have a 3 year old and a 5 month old. I don't really have 400 bucks to drop on a new system. So until I can afford the change, I'll probably continue to lurk this site and ask questions from time to time, as this idea and style of hunting is very intrieging.
Welcome to the site! I think the aero hunt is a great system, especially for a new saddle user, but you can get into saddle hunting cheaper if you put some more time and effort into it. There are DIY options depending on how comfortable you are with that (we suggest using a rock climbing harness as a backup) and like @IkemanTX said, used saddles pop up on here frequently so keep your eyes open. Saddle hunting can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. Many of us on here like tinkering with new ideas and we spend way more than we should trying to create even better systems lol, but it doesn't have to be that way. Good luck in your search, the guys on here are great and always willing to help.

BTW, do you have a link to that podcast?

Welcome! I'm a newbie myself...and in a strikingly similar situation (6 mo. old and 3 yr. old). Daycare is pretty much a fun money killer.
I picked up a sit drag to start messing with. I figured it was a cheap way to start learning at ground level. I know it had been mentioned already, but wanted to reiterate there are ways to ease in and start to get a feel for the system. My plan is to spend now until season learning and attempting to become comfortable with a sit drag/climbing harness setup. This also gives me the ability to spread out my costs.

Anyway, this forum is a great resource. I've been exploring for about 4 months I have found a head spinning amount of information on here. And if you are into DIY, there are some great innovations here to help reduce overall costs.

Back