• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Molle Saddle

kenn1320

OK guys as promised here are some pics of my saddle. I made this out of (2) Molle waist belts and some 2" webbing. I used a speedy stitcher to do the sewing. Read the entire post before making safety concerning type posts. I'm open to all feed back, but I did have safety in mind when building this. Also captions describing the pics are under them, not above them.

So as you can see here the main straps(3) connect to a carabiner on each side. Connecting them is a 1.5" bridge that is 24" long and bought from strapworks. The rounded edge of the Molle is the seat portion.

Here is the back side. Note the auxiliary straps. Both belts had them, and I was going to remove both. I cut the first ones off and realized they had a piece of plastic in them to aid in stiffening. Hindsight I wish I hadn't done that. Part of the reason I built a saddle was I'm heavy and well most saddles pinch my thighs. The stiffer the saddle, the less likely you get that pinch or the more evenly the weight gets distributed. Make sense? I'm reluctant to cut the other one off now, but might cut just the straps themselves.

Here is a close up of the (2) belts and how I stitched them together. The material on these Molle belts is some tough stuff and that speedy stitch wax thread is super tough as well. Note however the stitching is only holding the belts together and has zero function in terms of holding my weight.

Here is what carry's the weight, (3) 2" web belts. You see (4) shown, but I'm using (1 green) from the Molle belt as a waist belt just to hold it while I walk or take tension off the lines in the tree. I'm using the other Molle strap (green) to support weight under my thighs and the (2) black belts also support my weight. All belts are 1 piece and simply run through the Molle pad along the same cavity the green factory belts go. Again the Molle pads are nothing more than a cushion in this configuration.

A side shot of the belts. The (1) green belt that disappears is the one that is for my waist. I looped the belts around the carabiner and through strap slides. I have left them long until I get each adjusted as desired. I will likely stitch them in a cleaner manner up closer to the carabiners and eliminate the slides. The slides were also bought from strapworks. You can see the (1) green strap looks strange. I cut the thread that was used to sew stop folds in the Molle belt to keep the plastic buckles from accidentally being taken all the way off the strap. The strap was not compromised and looks bad, but functions fine.

This is how it looks on me.

Here is a side shot of how it looks on the tree. I also added the Molle canteen pouches that fit my tree lead in one and my lineman in the other. My lineman is actually another tree lead, so both the same length and barely fit in the pouch. I have a ropeman 1 ascender on each line and the tree lead has (2) large carabiners, (1) on each end. Until I'm 100% confident in this saddle, I will be wearing a Alpine BOD rock harness with it. The lose end of the tree lead will be clipped to my harness via the other carabiner. The tree lead and lineman belt are made from 7/16" bluewater assault line and tied via figure 8 knots.
This saddle is big, but so am I. I haven't weighed it yet, but will next week. I do have thoughts of making a web only saddle similar to what Eberhart uses, but know it wont be as comfortable as this one. I don't think this is climber stand comfortable, but I think it will be saddle bearable if that makes sense. I've done all day sits in the ambush and it was painful.

That is a very impressive DIY. Make sure you keep us updated on how it works out!

I'm working on a modified anderson sling right now. I have a delta carabiner on each side, similar to yours. I think I have decided to go with a rope bridge like the aero hunter instead of a webbing bridge. I think it will be more durable and I think I will have more faith in it than a custom made webbing bridge. With your design you would be able to swap one in if you ever wanted. Anyways, nice job!

Thanks guys. As for the web vs rope bridge, this started out as a rope bridge design. I had planned to double duty the lineman belt as my bridge. I pretended to be in a hunt and would have had to untie to hook up. I wanted 100% hooked to the tree safety, so went with the sling. Another consideration was hunt with the rope bridge and just swap in the web as needed to unhook the rope bridge. At ground level I tried rotating in the saddle to face away from the tree and noticed the strap slides way easier than the rope. I found 2 negatives with the strap as the bridge, unable to use a prussic for back support and the edge isn't comfortable to lean on to sleep. As with anything custom, its a work in progress :lol:

Post pics of the project RS, I already started on one like that as well. All 4 of my straps will be connected in the seat area, not 2 and 2 like the Anderson. I will also have more connector straps to form more of a web chair. My first saddle was out of parachord that I tied like a hammock. Super light, but that cord was too small and dug right into me.

This is awesome. Love all the DIY this forum offers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick update guys. I was able to get this on an official shipping scale.

Full saddle(uncluding tether and linemans belt) with extra carabiner weighed 5.64lbs
I also weighed my BOD harness with its added linemans loop weighed 1.36lbs.

Have you sat in this for any length of time (~3 hours or more)?
I know that it is a very personalized topic, but I'm interested in your relative comfort level. I may have the ability to get similar supplies fairly easily and it wouldn't take too long to assemble one similar to your saddle.

I also have some 1000D cordura coming in the mail so that I can sew up a treesaddle, your saddle may be a better option.
I didn't like my tree sling replica because it really squeezed my hips too much.

I have one sit so far this yr. Comfort was better than I remember, but I didn't have on knee pads so maybe the knee pain overrode the squeeze? :lol: give it a whirl, that's why I put it out there for others to enjoy the simple concept. Im also building an Anderson style and for sure pinch will be my main concern.

good luck with the Anderson sling. I set mine up in my garage last night to see if the squeeze was a result of my hasty attempt to hunt from it and not try to find an optimal position.
Nope. I couldn't find a position where that thing wasn't like I was sitting in a vice. I really like the concept of that style of seat, but I think that it isn't for me.

kenn1320 said:
I have one sit so far this yr. Comfort was better than I remember, but I didn't have on knee pads so maybe the knee pain overrode the squeeze? :lol: give it a whirl, that's why I put it out there for others to enjoy the simple concept. Im also building an Anderson style and for sure pinch will be my main concern.

Any more chances to hunt from this Kenn? If so how is it working out?

Scott F said:
good luck with the Anderson sling. I set mine up in my garage last night to see if the squeeze was a result of my hasty attempt to hunt from it and not try to find an optimal position.
Nope. I couldn't find a position where that thing wasn't like I was sitting in a vice. I really like the concept of that style of seat, but I think that it isn't for me.
I find the most comfort in this position. It feels way lower than it looks. There is no back support.
f1ad586c64af38cf1ae83409db4f3998.jpg

redsquirrel said:
kenn1320 said:

Any more chances to hunt from this Kenn? If so how is it working out?

Yes I got out 1 other time(been sicker than a dog) and it worked well. I did have one mishap that was pretty scary. I use the molle waist buckle just to hold the thing in place while I walk or climb. Well I was on my second stick and took some weight off the linemans and the saddle just fell to my knees. :eek: I couldnt lift it back up since the lineman had also fell. I had to climb up and out of the saddle, climb back down and bring it with me. Somehow the waist belt unsnapped, yet I had walked a good 300yds with it on. I need to upgrade that with some sort of reliable buckle. I also found that my 24" bridge just hanging there was catching on my sticks/steps while climbing, so I need to remove it and pack it till at hunting height. I also upgraded to a 36" per Daves recommendation and like it more. I plan to hunt out of it all next week. I also bought knee pads from Lowes per recommendations from this site and they work great. :cool:

I see your Anderson sling pic, seems the downfall of that is the saddle connection is too close to your waist. That seems like it could cause pinch?

Good picture. That was basically a description of how John Eberhart recommended that I use it.
I can say that my newest saddle will entirely erase any chance that I will ever even wear my old Anderson replica. I really like my new one for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is comfort.

I'll try to take some pics of it this weekend.

kenn1320 said:
Yes I got out 1 other time(been sicker than a dog) and it worked well. I did have one mishap that was pretty scary. I use the molle waist buckle just to hold the thing in place while I walk or climb. Well I was on my second stick and took some weight off the linemans and the saddle just fell to my knees. :eek: I couldnt lift it back up since the lineman had also fell. I had to climb up and out of the saddle, climb back down and bring it with me. Somehow the waist belt unsnapped, yet I had walked a good 300yds with it on. I need to upgrade that with some sort of reliable buckle. I also found that my 24" bridge just hanging there was catching on my sticks/steps while climbing, so I need to remove it and pack it till at hunting height. I also upgraded to a 36" per Daves recommendation and like it more. I plan to hunt out of it all next week. I also bought knee pads from Lowes per recommendations from this site and they work great. :cool:

I see your Anderson sling pic, seems the downfall of that is the saddle connection is too close to your waist. That seems like it could cause pinch?

First off, glad you are ok and hope you are feeling better! They are pricy but if you are looking for a good lightweight buckle I am using a cobra buckle for my waist on my anderson sling and I think it is great. http://milspecmonkey.com/store/hardware ... uckle.html If you went that route you would probably want to get the dual adjust version.

The bridge hanging is a PITA. On my aero hunter I can pull it through and tie it off to keep it out of the way. On the tree saddle you would fold the bridge up and they had a piece of elastic that would keep it bundled . Maybe something like that would work for you?

That was the trial run on that sling. I've almost got it to wear I want it but I'm still working a couple things out, I'll post it up when I finish it. Once I got it to a comfortable spot on my butt I was very comfortable and didn't have any problems with pinch. That was only the first sit though so I'll have to see.

Good luck next week!

Scott F said:
Good picture. That was basically a description of how John Eberhart recommended that I use it.
I can say that my newest saddle will entirely erase any chance that I will ever even wear my old Anderson replica. I really like my new one for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is comfort.

I'll try to take some pics of it this weekend.

Sounds good!

redsquirrel said:
kenn1320 said:

First off, glad you are ok and hope you are feeling better! They are pricy but if you are looking for a good lightweight buckle I am using a cobra buckle for my waist on my anderson sling and I think it is great. http://milspecmonkey.com/store/hardware ... uckle.html If you went that route you would probably want to get the dual adjust version.

The bridge hanging is a PITA. On my aero hunter I can pull it through and tie it off to keep it out of the way. On the tree saddle you would fold the bridge up and they had a piece of elastic that would keep it bundled . Maybe something like that would work for you?

That was the trial run on that sling. I've almost got it to wear I want it but I'm still working a couple things out, I'll post it up when I finish it. Once I got it to a comfortable spot on my butt I was very comfortable and didn't have any problems with pinch. That was only the first sit though so I'll have to see.

Good luck next week!

Do you have an adjustable buckle? I really need one that is easily adjustable while wearing it. I like to tighten it on the fly, then loosen it when Im settled in. The Molle buckles have a tension release that you can press to loosen them. I see the model I would need(single adjustable/fixed) is $25, but thats cheap if it works well and my saddle doesnt fall off again. :lol:

Back