• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My latest hairbrained idea - DIYSPO camo for 'biners

hickstick

Was thinking that my 25kn biner connecting my bridge to tether kinda stuck out like a sore thumb....wanted to camo them up a bit.

Seeing the pic @redsquirrel posted of his Kong duck ascender and the cloth covered biner clipped to it gave me an idea. "why not just use the mantle offor a climbing rope. I had a scrap sitting there of 11mm olive green so I cut I 4 or 5 inch section and pulled the kernel out. low and behold it slid right over the biner.

I wanted to leave the bottom clean so the amsteel bridge would slide freely. and obviously can't cover the lock....but it's repositionable and can come off/ be changed out etc.

Whatdya think?

Nice, let us know if theres any issues after several uses. I used hockey tape on mine recently as well as camo paint on my ropeman1's. The tape is working well, the paint isnt sticking so good.

Nice!
I've done heat shrink like that but it gets grabby if in the wrong place.
I didn't do heat shrink, just because I didn't want to put any heat near the biner that might compromise it.

I've also run some tubular webbing around them too.

I'm just gonna sit back and let y'all keep figuring all these things out for me. It makes my purchases much more efficient. My wife's draconian budget constraints on hunting doesn't allow me to keep up with y'all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just gonna sit back and let y'all keep figuring all these things out for me. It makes my purchases much more efficient. My wife's draconian budget constraints on hunting doesn't allow me to keep up with y'all.

Haha i did the same with the platform. I let everyone figure it all out then I made mine

I didn't do heat shrink, just because I didn't want to put any heat near the biner that might compromise it.

I've also run some tubular webbing around them too.
I'm pretty confident that the heat wouldn't affect it. You can use a blow dryer to shrink it. I've had shrink tubing do its magic in my truck during the summer.

Covering biners gets weird when using a ropeman, rappel...
My linesmans belt and gear biners just have hockey tape on them. Fine for that.

FYI....on saturday I had one on my linemans belt and the mantle slipped down to the gate and was interfering with one handed clipping/locking the 'biner. probably not the best safety scenario...lol the connecting my prusik to the bridge worked perfectly. I think if I keep a shorter piece just on the long side of the 'biner it'll be fine.

Was thinking that my 25kn biner connecting my bridge to tether kinda stuck out like a sore thumb....wanted to camo them up a bit.

Seeing the pic @redsquirrel posted of his Kong duck ascender and the cloth covered biner clipped to it gave me an idea. "why not just use the mantle offor a climbing rope. I had a scrap sitting there of 11mm olive green so I cut I 4 or 5 inch section and pulled the kernel out. low and behold it slid right over the biner.

I wanted to leave the bottom clean so the amsteel bridge would slide freely. and obviously can't cover the lock....but it's repositionable and can come off/ be changed out etc.

Whatdya think?
Dude if you're not silence them I would just hit them with a quick pass off matte OD green spray paint. That silver metal will be much more of a problem for you than the black. I would want anything on my biners that could inhibit their function in any way personally. There are all black biners out there for cheap with no modifications needed. If you're trying to silence gear check out the wallis gromets at treestuff.

Back