• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My system of climbing

cedar paul

SH Member
First I must give credit to a fellow on Youtube for inspiring me to refine this system. My system (which is in transition-as soon as I can afford the new Aero I will get one) consists of a saddle, a belay device(Trango Cinch) and about 30' of velocity arborist rope. I also have a ratchet strap on step/platform and strap on bow/quiver/gear holder. The most important part is a shortened Muddy stick that has a 5 step Etrier attached. When climbing it goes like this- 1. I attach the stick as high as I can reach 2. climb until I am on the top step 3. cinch my climbing rope around the tree 4. rappel down and retrieve the stick and move it above my head. 5. repeat until desired height is reached.6. attach platform and tree cinch rope, bow hanger. When finished I hook a retractable pull up line to my climbing line that is cinched around the tree and then rappel down and as I pass the various things(ratchet strap platform, climbing stick etc I remove them. Once I am back on the ground I tug on my retractable pull line and the system comes down to me. No more looking for steps in the dark! I had it down to 14 lbs but with the addition of the new Aero Evolution I think it will be less.

Sounds really nice! I'd love to see a video or some photos of your system. It sounds similar to the method flinginairos posted here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=186, except that you are rapelling.

flinginairos said:
Hi guys, new to this forum. I use two 20" Muddy sticks with five step rock climbing etriers on them. Two sticks get me up about 15' and the etriers only add a pound combined on the two sticks. I use a Guidos Web so once i'm at the top of the second stick I attach my rope to the web and swing off the side, grab the stick and slide it up the tree as high as I can go. One or two moves this way gets me 20'+ Here are two videos I made using the web and this method. Hope it gives you some ideas!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7uiPorhIDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxv2EAnohn0

Love it!! I think I will use this method next year. I already use the one Muddy stick method and it works great. It's just a little slow coming down in the dark. Would love to see a video of you coming down!

Working on my rope/ tree strap hybrid
0aa56f23c3c94a39281203912454ac16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was enjoying the photo until I scrolled down to your feet... :lol:

Keep working on it!

flinginairos said:
Love it!! I think I will use this method next year. I already use the one Muddy stick method and it works great. It's just a little slow coming down in the dark. Would love to see a video of you coming down!

Love the video you did man! Are you able to climb like that without pouring sweat? I'm trying to decide if I should climb with one stick like you did, or use a lone wolf hand climber top to get up the tree.

WCork said:
flinginairos said:

Love the video you did man! Are you able to climb like that without pouring sweat? I'm trying to decide if I should climb with one stick like you did, or use a lone wolf hand climber top to get up the tree.

Thanks! Yes, I can climb without sweating if I take my time and don't rush it. Same as a climbing stand really. After doing it for several hunts now I actually find it easier than a climber with a LOT less noise. I hunted with a buddy the last two weekends and he used my old API climber and I couldn't get over how much noise he made getting set up. I can unpack my web, climb the tree and get set up and literally make almost no noise at all. It's awesome!

flinginairos said:
WCork said:
flinginairos said:

Thanks! Yes, I can climb without sweating if I take my time and don't rush it. Same as a climbing stand really. After doing it for several hunts now I actually find it easier than a climber with a LOT less noise. I hunted with a buddy the last two weekends and he used my old API climber and I couldn't get over how much noise he made getting set up. I can unpack my web, climb the tree and get set up and literally make almost no noise at all. It's awesome!

That's awesome! I watched some more of your vids and you definitely do a good job making good vids! I think I'm going to give the one stick method a try here soon. And I want to try out the Ropeman 1 too!

That's awesome! I watched some more of your vids and you definitely do a good job making good vids! I think I'm going to give the one stick method a try here soon. And I want to try out the Ropeman 1 too!

Thanks! If you watch my October 8th buck kill on there that was my first kill from the web. I used the one stick method that day and it worked perfect.

I made a youtube vid but made it so you have to have permission to view it and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions. Thanks

cedar paul, i edited the post to make the link and put the youtube video in.

If you need permission to view it, you can go to the settings for the video in you tube and change it to either public or unlisted, it is probably private right now.

cedar paul- If you were using an aero hunter you could eliminate the use of 2 saddles right?

fawnzy said:
https://vimeo.com/109285877
Phase one. I'm putting it here because I can't figure out how to start a new thread from my phone.
I figure a few dozen minds is better than one.
https://vimeo.com/109286722

First, looks like your son was having fun :cool:

I don't have any good ideas right now. The advantage of either the rope system or the webbing system is that it is only one strap the entire way, so you have only one connection. I think if we try to make a hybrid strap we are introducing another point for something to go wrong. I'm not saying we couldn't make it work, just thinking out loud.

841ebb893b36e14aab2305d3606474e8.jpg
843ce718468ede1b03555a115c0dbcd1.jpg

Hi Red
I here you. Maybe this is a solution. Running a TL type tree strap through the anchor strap of a fall arrest system.
This could move up the tree as you climb, also note the loop stitched into the fall arrest strap. That will reduce the wear on the TL strap. Replacing the anchor strap from time to time would be more cost effective.
The weak point I see on this idea is the buckle. It's plastic and is designed to take a fall and then be thrown away. I'm not sure how it would stand up to the constant strain of body weight.
This could be an easy fix with the right buckle. It could be the best of both worlds.

Love to here everyone's thoughts.

I got word today that my Aero Evolution is getting ready to ship-I have been making up my own lanyard and tree rope. I will have my wife film me again and show a more refined system with its rappelling capabilities. I have all the gear stowed in a waist pack while wearing my saddle and carrying my bow. One of my concerns that I will practice is going past limbs when ascending/descending. I will use my lanyard like I do when I am working a tree and move my tree rope.

I changed the settings to public so if you scroll down under the blank area my video URL can be seen. Sorry about the quality but it will give an idea and the next vid will be better I hope.

Paul, the video came out good. Can't wait to see your next one!

Back