• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy... can some explain sit and drag?

Tom Karrow

Have thought about a hardness/saddle for a few years, never bit the bullet yet.

What are sit and drag sets?
Can rock climbing hardnesses be used?
Sorry for stupid questions!
Thanks, Tom

Look up G2outdoors video on it I believe he explains it pretty well.

As I have posted before do some research on this site and find out if you are close to someone and see if you can go meet them and check out there gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sit drag is a simple "sling" that was meant to be used at ground level as a lightweight seat. Lots of us here have modded them so they can be used as a super simple saddle. You can (and should) use a rock climbing harness with one to be fully safe. The nice thing about the SD is its super cheap and a perfect blank canvas to mod and make exactly how you want it. Most of us here add a waist belt to keep it in position on the hips and a pouch or two to hold ropes, etc. the rest is really up to you.

And there are no stupid questions here! Welcome to the forum

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I looked at G2 outdoors and fond some good info. I am sure I would not feel safe in a SD up in a tree!

So, is the aero hunter the only other choice then??

Or a combo of climbing/rock hardness with SD?

Tom

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I looked at G2 outdoors and fond some good info. I am sure I would not feel safe in a SD up in a tree!

Tom

Or a guidos web.
Here is a link to a video with a rock climbing harness and a sit drag
This is safer than a sit drag alone

Hi Tom.
Welcome to the site. If your from Ontario. I'm in eastern and Ontariofarmer is southwest.
Where are you?

So, in it's actual form... this is the Sit-Drag

We here on saddlehunter have modified it to act as a saddle, either standalone or with a climbing harness.

As mentioned above, it is essentially a GREAT blank canvas. Some of us modify it to act as our entire safety system (no separate harness), but even if I do it, I don't recommend it to others..... (liability issues out the WAZOO)
There are too many liabilities to mention, as well as blatant OSHA regulation violations when using this as a safety harness...........

Aside from that... I LOVE how my modified Sit drag acts as my entire system. It is a light weight, easy to deploy, and unencumbersome system. With arborist spikes, I can pack everything I need in a small (Rush 5.11 brand, 12 hour) military style backpack. 6-7 minutes is all I need to be 20 feet in a tree ready to go. It is the ultimate mobile setup. As an example, here is my spikes with my saddle inside my backpack... total weight is less than 10 pounds.
08d8247bcb5046345f78b55937a22b3a.jpg

The saddle itself without the Molle pouches added
Back
9c0564897b29ff3a091a967b7306efd9.jpg

And front
9a8bbf527534f746c633f8ae41af4c29.jpg

The notches on the bottom are added for gear ties to tie climbing sticks and such to the harness. Molle straps hold 2 dump pouches for linesman belts / tethers. And, I added a fully sewn in waist belt to provide adequate fall restraint if needed.
With the dump pouches on...
935e9dea6365740636d1fc6027a64eda.jpg

Many properties don't allow arborist spikes, but if they do... this is the absolute best combination for pure mobility there is in the woods. The saddle gets you into Sooooooo many more trees than any other system, and the spikes let you do it within minutes...

Last edited:

Tom
So people like the sit and drag. Personally I do not. Some modify it to be safer than others....

The aero hunter and the guido's web are the only choices that are made right now. Used tree saddles pop up often also. New tribe is coming out with a new version of the aero hunter this summer, and wild edge is going to come out with a new saddle this summer also.

Good luck and be safe!

So, in it's actual form... this is the Sit-Drag

We here on saddlehunter have modified it to act as a saddle, either standalone or with a climbing harness.

As mentioned above, it is essentially a GREAT blank canvas. Some of us modify it to act as our entire safety system (no separate harness), but even if I do it, I don't recommend it to others..... (liability issues out the WAZOO)
There are too many liabilities to mention, as well as blatant OSHA regulation violations when using this as a safety harness...........

Aside from that... I LOVE how my modified Sit drag acts as my entire system. It is a light weight, easy to deploy, and unencumbersome system. With arborist spikes, I can pack everything I need in a small (Rush 5.11 brand, 12 hour) military style backpack. 6-7 minutes is all I need to be 20 feet in a tree ready to go. It is the ultimate mobile setup. As an example, here is my spikes with my saddle inside my backpack... total weight is less than 10 pounds.
08d8247bcb5046345f78b55937a22b3a.jpg

The saddle itself without the Molle pouches added
Back
9c0564897b29ff3a091a967b7306efd9.jpg

And front
9a8bbf527534f746c633f8ae41af4c29.jpg

The notches on the bottom are added for gear ties to tie climbing sticks and such to the harness. Molle straps hold 2 dump pouches for linesman belts / tethers. And, I added a fully sewn in waist belt to provide adequate fall restraint if needed.
With the dump pouches on...
935e9dea6365740636d1fc6027a64eda.jpg

Many properties don't allow arborist spikes, but if they do... this is the absolute best combination for pure mobility there is in the woods. The saddle gets you into Sooooooo many more trees than any other system, and the spikes let you do it within minutes...

Very Slick and well though out. I just cannot see using a SD in isolation for myself though. Yes, those spikes can leave some big makers on trees!

I gather from your response you still use sticks then??

Some more questions (for anyone)
I hunt a lot of cedars... how do people deal with all the limbs with a saddle?
I see New Tribe makes several harnesses for arbor work and recreation, cheaper than the aero and I think would work well with the SD. I look forward to seeing what new harnesses come out this summer... any idea when these are to be released?
Thanks, Tom

The Guidos Web is probably the most comfortable saddle there is, but I think it's the heaviest at 8 lbs. It's warm during cooler to cold weather and really hot during the early warmer season

Tom,

To back up a Sit Drag with a harness, you just want a lightweight rock climbing harness. A "sport climbing" or "Alpine" harness generally means less bulk/lightweight. You don't need a bulky harness because you won't be hanging from it for long periods of time.

The Sit Drag is not unsafe with a harness WITH NO SLACK IN THE TETHER.

An Aerohunter is generally more comfortable

Sorry, had to go to the grill to turn the chicken legs.

Guidos Web is the all day hunter's dream for comfort.
I also have the suit drag that I am finishing up on. Still will be some mods to do and I'm curious about what it's like in a tree.

I'm also waiting to see what the new aero hunter will be like. Might have to spit out some $$$ on one.

Speaking of harnesses to use with the S&D. Is anyone using a commercial harness or will a RC harness fit over heavy clothing?

Back