• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New member from MD

hokiehunter373

Alright, ladies and gents. I’m 29. I’ve “hunted” since I can ever remember but it hasn’t been til the last 3 years that I’ve reallyyy hunted. Meaning I started hunting public land, really started exploring on my own and just figuring out a lot of stuff. I went from never touching public, to hunting it 95% of the time, to learning to “hunt like a beast”, to learning about saddle hunting. So far, the progression has been fast, smooth, and successful. I’d like to keep it that way. Below is a list of stand and climbing equipment I have, plan to get, and am thinking of getting. Please feel free to tear this list apart, build it up, or modify however you would for yourself. Tell me what you think is best and why. Include links to products if you can. Hopefully you can help me and maybe you can help some others, too. Thank you!

HAVE

* 3 - helium sticks with rope/versa mod
* 1 - old, lone wolf style, Gorilla stick with rope/versa mod (2 without)
* 3 - CMI 3 step climbing etrier
* 2 - Hunter Safety System rope-style tree strap
* 1 for linemans belt
* 1 for tether
* 1 - Ropeman 1 (currently on linemans)

GETTING

* Tethrd Mantis
* Tethrd Predator
* Ropeman 1 (for tether)
* Paracord to put on saddle for stick attachment (18 inches worth - 9 each?)
* Maybe use nitize gear ties instead

NEED?

* Knaider/Swaider
* Rope to tie on bottom of sticks to attach k/s
* What kind, how much?
* WE Stepps (how many? 6-8?)

SCENARIOS (to address “need”)

1. Stay with sticks and get better with etrier - buy nothing else
* Pros: spend nothing else
* Cons: bulkier, weight

2. Stay with sticks, ditch etriers, switch to rope attachment on bottom of sticks and use k/s
* Pros: seems like k/s will be easier than etrier and less to pack
* Cons: spend a little money

3. Ditch sticks, get WE stepps and k/s
* Pros: super packable and lightweight
* Cons: $$, learn new system

I’m 5'5" (yep, not a typo, it’s sucks lol) I imagine I can get almost 5' per WE step with the k/s; probably 7ish for top of a hawk step with the etriers or k/s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the group... u will find a lot of great information in this forum.. For climbing I'm using 1 WE step with a 4 step aider as my first steps which can be placed at 6' and then I use 4-5 beast sticks for the rest... definitely get the predator platform, mine came after the season ended but what a difference in the feel up in the tree (been practicing with it) I'm also new to saddle hunting... received my saddle with about 9 hunts left in the season and used it each time. Still making adjustments to get the feel just right, but so enjoying it...

Looks like you are on the right track! Which ever path you take, practice a lot and remember safety.

Did

nt realize so many DE and MD guys on here. We could just about have our own saddlepalooza:)

Been thinking about a get together myself...I know @ Bigterp is not to far from me. Where are you located wlog?

Carroll county here

Your not far. Well my dad lives in eldersburg and it takes me 30 min to get there. If your interested, (before you buy other things) ill meet up with you. You can try out some gear etc..I have been saddle hunting since 2005 so I have some stuff.

welcome from PA! Was just hunting in carroll county this morning at Liberty Reservoir

Oh man ya mighta been in one of my spots. Never mind, couldn’t have been, you wouldn’t of seen 20 deer lol. Heck of a late season morning

welcome from PA! Was just hunting in carroll county this morning at Liberty Reservoir
Shot my biggest biggest Md buck to date at Liberty.
As for OP comments questions/ it’s almost past season. I wouldn’t get a bunch of new gear. I’d add a saddle of choice, I have a kite & jx3 if you wanted to try them out. Stay with climbing gear your comfortable with & shorten your learning curve. That way it’s cheaper & not so many new pieces of kit at the same time. Saddle hunting is a rabbit hole (welcome by the way!!!) your gonna end up trying out multiple climbing methods at some point when you really start tinkering. Might as well get your saddle setup dialed in tight first......

Welcome! I'm up in Cecil county also.

I would also recommend just staying with your sticks for now and get your self in a saddle and get comfortable with it. Once you get a system down then the fun part of experimenting with new climbing methods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back