• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New member intro

Jefferson10940

Staff member
Vendor Rep
SH Member
Hey guys awesome message board, I am 100% new to saddlehunting. Just purchased a TL saddle off the bay, ordered the stepp ladder, needed a tether and linemans belt also. Decided to order the XOP kit and parts needed, so I am 100% in also. I am from New York, orange county. I hunt a small 70 acre farm but feeling that I put too much pressure I want to expand my hunting to a state park that just opened to bow hunting last season. It is 4000 acres and no permanent stands allowed, so I did my research and decided a saddle is what I want to try for the long walks in and out as well as the sits. I will be practicing with the saddle all spring, shooting and climbing etc

Hey guys awesome message board, I am 100% new to saddlehunting. Just purchased a TL saddle off the bay, ordered the stepp ladder, needed a tether and linemans belt also. Decided to order the XOP kit and parts needed, so I am 100% in also. I am from New York, orange county. I hunt a small 70 acre farm but feeling that I put too much pressure I want to expand my hunting to a state park that just opened to bow hunting last season. It is 4000 acres and no permanent stands allowed, so I did my research and decided a saddle is what I want to try for the long walks in and out as well as the sits. I will be practicing with the saddle all spring, shooting and climbing etc
Welcome to the site! The guys here are great and will help you with anything you need.

What park are you talking about (you can pm me if you want). I'm from north nj and I have gone up to NY a couple times to hunt after I tagged out early. The area you are talking about looks like it may be fairly close to me.

Welcome to the site! The guys here are great and will help you with anything you need.

What park are you talking about (you can pm me if you want). I'm from north nj and I have gone up to NY a couple times to hunt after I tagged out early. The area you are talking about looks like it may be fairly close to me.

Red I sent you a PM with my cell, it might be easier to talk. But I will def let you know where I am talking about. The county opened it actually 2 seasons ago, bow only, weekday only. The park is used for horses and the riders are against the hunting, so the weekday is a compromise.

That makes for some interesting situations. Are they allowed to ride during the weekend?

That makes for some interesting situations. Are they allowed to ride during the weekend?

They are allowed to ride everyday, along with the mountain bikers. But it is a large piece of property and the horse/bike trails are pretty clear.

Welcome to the site. I would be ALL OVER a property like this. The more red tape, and the more difficult it is to hunt a property - the better it is.

Keep us posted and make sure to ask lots of questions so you're ready to smoke one from the Saddle come Fall.

I have lived literally 1/4 mile away for my entire hunting life and would watch these big boys cross out of the park at night and in the morning. Dreaming of getting in there. But now that I can I have only been in there once. I like the luxuries of private property, been spoiled. But The last 2 years I think I really put too much pressure on the farm. So its time to pull up my big boy panties and hunt state land. I was in the tree yesterday in the saddle 50 % feeling like spring and today there is 10 in of snow and it is still coming down.

I think its funny when people complain about bowhunters. It just shows how anti hunting they are. I know there are a lot of idiots out there, but can you imagine mistaking a horse for a deer, let alone a horse with someone on its back? I can't. I bow hunt in a park where there are horseback riders all the time. Sometimes I watch them come by at 30 yards. Sometimes they'll be all decked out in orange, which I won't complain about because they're just being safe, but its so funny to me to watch that because there is no way I am going to see them and think they are a deer in bow range even if they don't have the orange.

I think its funny when people complain about bowhunters. It just shows how anti hunting they are. I know there are a lot of idiots out there, but can you imagine mistaking a horse for a deer, let alone a horse with someone on its back? I can't. I bow hunt in a park where there are horseback riders all the time. Sometimes I watch them come by at 30 yards. Sometimes they'll be all decked out in orange, which I won't complain about because they're just being safe, but its so funny to me to watch that because there is no way I am going to see them and think they are a deer in bow range even if they don't have the orange.

I dunno Red. I put the best stalk of my life on a horse in a snow storm a few years ago could have sworn it was a deer. Luckily I don't shoot at stuff if I don't know for sure what it is lol. But yeah, a bowhunter isn't going to shoot a horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno Red. I put the best stalk of my life on a horse in a snow storm a few years ago could have sworn it was a deer. Luckily I don't shoot at stuff if I don't know for sure what it is lol. But yeah, a bowhunter isn't going to shoot a horse.

lol. I was only thinking about people actually riding horses down a trail. I assume you put a stalk on one grazing at least?? :tearsofjoy:

lol. I was only thinking about people actually riding horses down a trail. I assume you put a stalk on one grazing at least?? :tearsofjoy:

Lol yeah. I was coming to a pasture field in heavy brush. I could just see the top of its back moving around. I snuck close enough where I could get a shot if it was a deer and I about died when it picked its head up LOL. it came walking up to me wanting me to pet it

Lol yeah. I was coming to a pasture field in heavy brush. I could just see the top of its back moving around. I snuck close enough where I could get a shot if it was a deer and I about died when it picked its head up LOL. it came walking up to me wanting me to pet it

HAHA

That makes me think of when I went up to NY hunting a few years ago. I was driving into some state land on this road that went through a cow pasture. The cows were literally running to the road to see me and this one comes up to the side of the road looking at me with these big intelligent eyes, basically saying hello like a dog. Ever since that day I tell anyone who has a problem with deer hunting to go look a cow in the eyes and come back to me.

Take a look into a cow's eyes and come back to talk to me... lol It is so easy for these meat eaters to order steak, or pick it up in a package at the grocery store without acknowledging the process of how it gets there. I can't imagine a situation where a horse gets mistaken for a deer, within bow range, with legal shooting light. But that last part often gets ignored.

Back