• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Spurs!! First Timer

2Shea

Vendor Rep
Just got my climbing spikes in the mail that I bought on here from BOMO. Can't wait to try these things out. They are ClimbRight Aluminum Spurs with Ultra Lite Pads. I'm excited to try these out and hopefully use them a lot next season. I'm still on crutches from having knee surgery 3 weeks ago so I won't be using them for atleast a few more weeks unfortunately.

This past year was my first attempt at saddle hunting. I only got to saddle hunt 3 or 4 times but enjoyed it and plan on doing it a lot more next season. So I'm a big rookie in this department and always reading on here to learn.

Do you all have any advise or tips that I should know about before trying to climb with these spurs?? Any extra accessories or gear I need?? Are there any good videos that you all have seen that explains climbing for a rookie like myself?? Thanks guys!
cec5a7ef14fa6c6190882e52de029fba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you all have any advise or tips that I should know about before trying to climb with these spurs?? Any extra accessories or gear I need??

You're set up nice already. I'm new to spurs as well and can only say don't let one or two attempts make up your mind about them.
I practiced a lot before I felt comfortable enough to hunt using them. .

You have an awesome setup already. You do need a linesman belt when climbing. Preferably one that is rigid and flips up easily.

Give credence to a couple of things.
1. When used carelessly ( especially the inexperienced) climbing this way can be dangerous.
2.When used carefully and executed properly( using all additional safety equipment in conjunction) this method is as safe as any other.

Ultimately it comes down to you. It should feel awkward at first but with practice and patience you should adapt. I've been on spurs for a long time and probably get a little careless sometimes but that's because I've gotten so comfortable in them. I suggest practicing low level ascents and actually setting up as if you were preparing to hunt. Go thru your entire setup scenario while standing on your spurs. You have an entire off season to tune up. Good Luck!!!!

Reactions: PJC
Just give it up and give those to me ya rookie!!

I'll give you a training class next time your up. For a small fee of course.

I hated spurs the first several times I used them. Thought I was gonna die.

Stick with it and you'll quickly learn to love them. GREAT SETUP!

I just got mine yesterday. Of course it's raining and freezing right now so I haven't tried them yet. I'm excited too.

Those spur guards are legit. I destroyed my leather ones the first time I used them. I made replacements out of InstaMorph plastic and a rubber gear tie. They are AMAZING!

Those spur guards are legit. I destroyed my leather ones the first time I used them. I made replacements out of InstaMorph plastic and a rubber gear tie. They are AMAZING!

I still need to do that. I just lived dangerously this year and never covered them. Only nearly lost and eye once so I did OK. lol

X2. I did the exact same thing.

What is that on there covering the spurs?

In the photo? They're called gaff guardians. They keep you from stabbing yourself.

In the photo? They're called gaff guardians. They keep you from stabbing yourself.

Are they an after market product? Or did they come with the spurs?

After market. I recommend getting some InstaMorph from Amazon and making your own with a gear tie. It takes 5 minutes and is cheaper than the Gaff Guardians.

Reactions: PJC
After market. I recommend getting some InstaMorph from Amazon and making your own with a gear tie. It takes 5 minutes and is cheaper than the Gaff Guardians.

Thanks

Back