• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Stick Climbing for Old Men

jmak

Dec 6, 2015
I'm 60 years old and am just getting back into saddle hunting mainly due to the great ideas on this site. I started out with a treesuit years ago and also own a web and sit drag and have a Kestrel on order. I haven't used them much because I hated the ameristep platform but the platform development here has me interested again.

DaveT1963 mentioned this climbing method in one of the threads about having a separate platform not mounted to a stick. This looked like it had some promise as a primary climbing method and this is what I came up with, sorry no video just pics.

This climbing method uses a full size stick with a strap and a double step on the bottom and a LW or XOP hand climber top with a bungy cord and boat strap with OCB.

This is the starting position. Note that the climber is attached to the tree above the sticks bottom tree bracket and below the versa button strap and that it is secured by an adjustable bungy cord to keep it from falling down if bumped. You climb up to the middle step then carefully step on the platform. Once on the platform you can reach down and pull the stick up enough to loosen the strap, then move the stick up and set it so that the sticks bottom tree bracket is just under the hand climber traction belt. The closer the better because this defines how far you move up the tree with each movement.

This is how it should look after moving the stick.

When the stick is secure you step on bottom step, loosen the bungy on the platform and move it so the traction belt is just under the LW stick strap as shown in the first picture. You then repeat the process until you reach your hunting height. Note that you don't need to disconnect the hand climber from the tree while climbing, you just slide it up the tree. If you need to adjust the belt you can easily reach down and adjust it.

Here is what it looks like at hunting height with the platform secured on the bottom with the boat strap with OCB.

The advantages of this method are;
1. No hanging from the tether while climbing
2. Can easily navigate branches
3. Can easily adjust the traction belt while standing on the stick
4. Weighs only 7 lbs.
5. If the platform breaks or the stick breaks you can use the other one to climb down the tree.
6. The platform moves approx. 20 inches per move so around 12 moves to get to 20 feet.

Disadvantages;
1. To get 20" platform moves requires a full length stick. The mini two step sticks only allow around 10 - 14 inches per move.
2. Awkward to carry with a full size stick. An expandable or folding 40 inch stick would allow easier packing and step sizes around 27". Only 9 moves to reach 20 feet.

I have not hunted with this method and have only practiced at lower heights but wanted to post it to get comments and hopefully some improvements to it.

Attachments

• one stick old man 1.jpg
    one stick old man 1.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 257
  • one stick old man 2.jpg
    one stick old man 2.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 216
  • one stick old man 3.jpg
    one stick old man 3.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 198

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
Makes sense to me. The only part I wouldn't like is having to bend over to move the platform up. I'll try it sometime.
That MIGHT be more work than hanging. That's a lot of moves but it is nice to be able to just STAND to rest. That's what I like about just using the Climber seat.

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
Sep 19, 2014
Should work but seems like a ton of work for not much movement. I can be up the tree with just one stick in 4-5 moves by hanging in my saddle while moving the stick. It's not hard to do just takes practice. Have you tried it that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bcsportsman

jmak

Dec 6, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys but I think this thread is getting a little off track because I didn't clearly define what I'm trying to achieve. I have limited range of motion in my left hip and an arthritic right knee so I am looking for a somewhat light weight climbing system that includes a platform, doesn't require hanging from a tether to set up, and doesn't require multistep aiders.

I have seen the one stick and two stick videos but never got to try them because I almost broke my ankle in a multistep aider when my foot got hung up in it when descending with my other foot in a lower step on the aider. Luckily it was close to the ground when it happened so no more multistep web or rope based climbing aids for me. I also do not like hanging from a tether to climb or set up my equipment. Twenty years ago I could see me doing this but not now.

justsomedude
Bending over to lift up the platform is not difficult. I wrap my left arm around the tree, lift the front of the platform with my right hand and easily move it up the tree without any noise. If it is difficult you could try adding a one step stirrup to the bottom step so you don't have to bend over so far. I also tried climbing with just the platform but wasn't comfortable hanging from the tether to adjust the traction belt on the way up. I also had the platform get hung up on me when climbing but I think I can correct that issue by coming up with a better way to attach my feet to the platform.

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys but I think this thread is getting a little off track because I didn't clearly define what I'm trying to achieve. I have limited range of motion in my left hip and an arthritic right knee so I am looking for a somewhat light weight climbing system that includes a platform, doesn't require hanging from a tether to set up, and doesn't require multistep aiders.

I have seen the one stick and two stick videos but never got to try them because I almost broke my ankle in a multistep aider when my foot got hung up in it when descending with my other foot in a lower step on the aider. Luckily it was close to the ground when it happened so no more multistep web or rope based climbing aids for me. I also do not like hanging from a tether to climb or set up my equipment. Twenty years ago I could see me doing this but not now.

justsomedude
Bending over to lift up the platform is not difficult. I wrap my left arm around the tree, lift the front of the platform with my right hand and easily move it up the tree without any noise. If it is difficult you could try adding a one step stirrup to the bottom step so you don't have to bend over so far. I also tried climbing with just the platform but wasn't comfortable hanging from the tether to adjust the traction belt on the way up. I also had the platform get hung up on me when climbing but I think I can correct that issue by coming up with a better way to attach my feet to the platform.
I think I understand... I am 59 years old. I have two arthritic knees and one bad shoulder. Man I have done hard work with a a physiotherapist and I have improved mobility and less pain... just a suggestion. It has taken 6 months.
As far as light mobile. You may get frustrated with that method. I think that if I was you I would look for spots that suit you. I have a couple of spots that are thick along transitions lines with swamps... Look for places where you can use the tree for cover near deer trails and hunt lower... 6 or 8 feet from a platform and use one or two sticks.
I killed two toms this spring at 10 yards or less sitting in my guidos web with a tree in front of me... I am going to try hunting low in a couple of spots this year.o
Dan from the Hunting Beast talks about hunting the edge of a marsh on a tree with is head just above the cattails. Not high

Good luck I hope you find a system that suits your health.

Last edited:

jmak

Dec 6, 2015
Thanks Ontariofarmer. Sorry if it sounded like I my health is worse than it is. I don't have any problems walking or climbing sticks. I still use my 20lb equalizer climber occasionally but usually leave it locked on my property so I can get multiple hunts without carrying it in and out every day. I also just converted my 3 step muddy sticks to two step sticks with a stirrup. This is how I noticed the limited range of motion in my one hip. If anyone is planning on doing this type of conversion make sure you check your step height with both legs.

I will probably end up using the 3 muddy sticks with the climbing platform for a mobile system. I also plan on setting up on the back side of some of my ladder stand trees that are in some great spots. Most of these stands are in double or triple trees with a lot of options to hang your gear. I plan on climbing up the ladder stand and using a couple of skyhook steps and the climbing platform on the back side of the tree. With this setup I can still use the ladder stand if the saddle starts getting uncomfortable.

Also, I'm impressed with some of the innovative ultralight climbing methods developed here, they just don't work for me.

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
Sep 19, 2014
Got it.
and DEFINITELY use the method that makes it all safe and easy.

Absolutely! If what you came up with works for you that's all that matters! It may be easier than what I have in my head. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sb220

Nov 6, 2016
VA
Ive never done srt, but I wonder if that wouldn't be a cakewalk for you with some preset paracords

Knees and shoulder..srt guys? Shoot just saying knees and shoulder and thinking of climbing ropes, probably dumb to have even mentioned it

sureshotscott

Staff member
SH Member
Jul 18, 2017
SE MI
jmak you're not old you're just more mature.

Do whatever you need to do to keep getting out there, it's good to read stories like this. Makes getting up and fighting thru the day that much easier...

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Dec 2, 2014
These young pups just don't understand.... I climb very slowly these days never in a rush. I may look into that platform with boat buckle.

Reactions: Ontariofarmer

DaveH

Aug 2, 2017
Illinois
I'm like you (although maybe a little older), I get to my spot plenty early so I don't have to hurry to get set up. My goal is to get set up quietly without working up a sweat.

I will have to experiment with the OCB to see if it stabilizes my LW climber seat enough to suit me. Perhaps use that in conjunction with 3-4 strap on steps for my platform. Should be pretty lightweight.

Reactions: Ontariofarmer

Apex7

SH Member
Jan 6, 2017
Pittsburgh Pa
I got injured at work last year shattered left pelvic broken right pelvic and L3 fracture and L4 fracture. It's almost a year since I was hurt I have arthritis in my hips and my back. My method of climbing is using 4 lone-wolf Sticks or 8 steppladders with aider. Hip gets sore when I take to long of strides when I'm climbing. I am 58 years old ,work construction all my life my body's beat up so just go at your own pace. What works for you that's what I do. The doctor told me try some tart cherry juice for arthritis. Good luck