• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Opinion wanted, Kestrel Kit or just saddle and build own tether, and bridge etc...

SouthMsBowhunter

I've been studying everyones experience and your systems as vetran tree hunters, and see there are many variables to consider. And at this point want to go this route in hunting, but I want to do it right the first time and not waste money.

I do believe also at this point i'm more concerned to have a safe system like the Kestrel rather then the Sit Drag and other system being mentioned. I say safe as I have no experience in this method, and the Kestrel is a commercially available product that meets the safety requirements (however lame they may be).

So with that in mind for those that have the Kestrel or just experience in the systems would you buy the kit or just the saddle and assemble the rest (Tether, LB, Bridge) using other components?

And to help me and other new members (seems more and more everyday new ones are signing up) would you please list those different components like in an aftermarket kit.

Example: Tether rope/strap brand and why, LB x brand and why, Bridge etc...

So a kit format would look like this:

Saddle: Kestrel (or other brand)
Tether: This rope with this component (please state why)
Bridge: This rope and component (please state why)
LB: This rope and component (please state why)
etc...Make sense?

And other components that make the experience safer/better/more efficient , thanks ahead of time, this would be a big help.

g2,

Thanks for the input. So with the kit, it is set up well enough that a newcomer wouldn't save weight or need other gadgets (ropemans) to be proficient?

I will 2nd that statement as it really does include all the components minus the platform and how you plan to ascend the tree. All the components in the kit are quality pieces and if they were out or get damaged (which they should last awhile) but if you need new components i.e rope it is very commercially available. The kit will save you time learning the knots which are not hard to tie but you can make mistakes and that is where you test it out at the ground level as opposed to at hunting height. Cost of the kestrel is steep in comparison to a sitdrag setup but you will be void of warranty going with that option. The kestrel however is still slightly less than a top end lone wolf climber and will be safer due to being attached from the bottom of the tree!!

Also welcome to the site and continue to let us know what option you ultimately choose!!

g2,

Thanks for the input. So with the kit, it is set up well enough that a newcomer wouldn't save weight or need other gadgets (ropemans) to be proficient?

Ropemans make adjustments with the linemans belt and some use it on the bridge as well a breeze vs the prusick knots. They essentially do the same thing but you don’t need the ropmans.

I second buying the kestrel kit for your first saddle setup. You can always modify your setup from there, but to learn the ropes (heh heh) it's a great starter package that will include everything you need to start swinging from trees.

If I were to start over today from scratch, I would just buy the saddle. Then make 2 lineman's belts with static climbing rope, 2 ropeman 1's, and 4 carabiners. I would make 1 a little longer so it can double as a tether when you get to height. Get some dump pouches to hold the lineman's belts for when walking to the tree. Then tie a rope to one side of the tree saddle and use your third ropeman as an adjustable bridge until you know how long you like it. Once you settle in on a bridge length, you can just tie it directly to the other side. That's what I would do, but opinions are like... you get it

Great rope for $0.80 a ft. 40 feet for 2 lineman's belts, a bridge, and some wiggle room.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/monster-10mm-static-rope-black.html

3 ropeman 1's, you only need 2, but stuff gets lost. These things make all other lineman's belts cry.
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1971

These carabiners are awesome, I like the Orca-lock because you push away and twist, I find this easier than pull and twist with gloves. I have 4, you may need less, but probably not.
https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Exotica...ywords=rock+exotica+orca+auto+lock&th=1&psc=1

lastly, figure out how to tie a figure 8 and a stopper knot. tons of info on the net.

I recommend buying a kit to all new users. It is easy to make everything after you know what you are doing, but all of the new terms and parts can be very intimidating to a new user. Once you get a kit in your hands and use it you will have an understanding of what you need to saddle hunt and can make changes if you desire. The only real change I personally would make if I bought a kit is to buy a ropeman1 for the lineman's belt for 1 handed adjustment.

I originally ordered just the saddle and was going to piecemeal everything else together but, before my saddle shipped I called and upgraded to the full kit and I am glad I did. There is enough to learn and experiment with in saddle hunting without worrying about sourcing a tether, linesman's belt, carabiners. etc.

The only thing I wish I would have done is added a Ropeman 1 to my linesman's belt immediately. I actually bought one but, felt guilty because all of my saddle gear was supposed to be Xmas presents and I was already using it so I gave the Ropeman to my wife to wrap and put under the tree.

I hunted one day after Xmas and the Ropeman was magical. It was one of those frustrating climbs when I couldn't get my steps to cam down correctly and nothing was going right and the Ropeman acted as my stress reliever. Every time I started getting frustrated I would reach down and make a one handed adjustment to my LB and it was so awesome I would smile and the stress would melt away.:grinning:

Thanks guys for the suggestion/opinions.

With me I have time as I won’t be using the saddle till next season, so I have time to practice. And see what works best.

My hope is to learn through your mistakes, lol.

With the bridge on the Kestrel is it adjustable?

So at this point it appears at least 1 ropeman1 for the LB is desired.

Would one on the Tether be good also?

What mods did you guys make to save weight?

If I had it to do all over again I would just but the saddle and make my own bridge, tether. There is so much good info here and on you tube that I don't think it would take much effort to learn to build your own. And building your own ensures you can make future adjustments and attachments that will open the door to experimenting. I think truth be told there are a lot of saddle hunters makes some adjustments to their gear.

I ordered the kestrel full kit & am glad I did! If you’re already an experienced saddle hunter or a lot of guys climb for work or recreation here, then making your own gear & mods is quite natural. As a newcomer to this side of things, I think a stock kit is a great place to start. I added ropman1’s after a a few sits. But there is a lot of unfamiliar equipment & I didn’t want to over complicate things right out of the gate. I would try & find someone nearby & check it out, that would’ve shortened the learning curve. They’re are a few good setup videos & I’m seeing more on here recently. I was already really comfortable w/my LW sticks so I was only adding platform & saddle. It’s still a different setup, I love it but there’s a bit to it before it feels second nature.

I bought the kit and I doubt you’d save much money going the piece by piece route. The ropes and carabiners are both high quality. The bridge isn’t adjustable, but it is super long so you just re-tie the knot to whatever length you want to try. If I were you, I’d buy two rope man 1’s: one for the lineman’s belt and the other for the bridge. Once you find out your preferred bridge length, tie it in and put the rope man on the tether. With a longer bridge and head height hook up you can run out of adjustment because the Blake’s hitch is so long, so the rope man is nice to give you more adjustment length there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks 024,

It would be nice if there was a video showing in more details how the rope man 1 works with the Kestrel tether and bridge.

I would go with the Kestrel kit and also get a couple ropeman 1. I would use one on my tether and one on my climbing belt. I do have one on my bridge but that's just me . I like a adjustable bridge and I also got really good deals on the ropemans.

Agree with the guys above. Get the full Kestrel kit.

Ropeman 1 is great - if you can swing it now, then get 2 of them. But you don't NEED them to hunt out of the Kestrel. So you can buy them later if you like....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also agree with going full kit as a starter. At some point you'll be able to say "if I had to do it over again, I would ...." - but today you don't know what you don't know and the kit is huntable out of the box - and safest option - read John E's post about it. As you'll see all have some level of modifications to their personal liking, but you have to figure that out with time in it first. I got my first saddle this year - bought the Kestrel full kit - only things I modified on the kit were replacing the Blake's Hitches on the tether and LB with a Ropeman1 which I learned very quickly made a huge difference in adjusting the tether and LB. But before I used the Ropeman, I pacticed with the kit out of the box so I could understand why the Ropeman1 was a game changer. I cannot imagine using the tether and especially the Lineman Belt without it. I have since changed my bridge material and length, and the caribiners but that took time to sort out on my own and reading various input from others' experiences. I believe the soon to be coming SH YouTube channel is going to have videos about these components - sometime this off season

Good comments everyone! I’m sure I’m not the first to ask this and that others sitting on the fence viewing this post are taking notes as well.

I ordered a kestrel only, I was under the impression it included the bridge. Did I assume incorrectly and now need to either upgrade to a kit or make my own bridge?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back