• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Packs, sticks, gear when walking in?

Mag1

Ok, first off, I have looked at some of the posts on packing sticks/ect.... but I am trying to figure out how to put this all together. One of the benifits of the saddle was to get rid of the weight of the stand on my back, but once I started bungeeing sticks together, stuffing the backpack, ect.... I’m thinking that my LW alpha assault (8.5 lb version) with molle belt/straps was actually pretty comfy when all the gear was set up for walking in. Maybe I just take to much stuff in, but I get sweaty easily, so I back most of my clothing in the pack. I find that with 2 sticks, one aider, a deer sleigher (roll up deer drag) tied on to the pack it is now kind of awkward again.

Any suggestions? I’m thinking next year about a much better pack, more of an EXO mountain style pack that would have many uses, but would also work well for transferring weight to the hips vs shoulders. Just trying to find some other ideas, ect...... thanks

I don't take along anything associated with getting the deer out of the woods. I know it's going to take me two trips when I get a deer. My gear list is really small.

Climbing sticks 3 or 4 max
Two wild edge stepps in a badlands fanny pack for platform
Bow rope
Flashlight
Grunt call oct./nov.
Bow hook
Saddle/tree tether/linemans belt
Rangefinder
Cell phone in case of emergency
Truck keys
Milkweed
Bow/arrows
Small compass when necessary

Everything else stays in the truck. Other than the fanny pack for the stepps everything else goes in pockets. On short hunts after work I don't take food or water. I throw the sticks on my back with a carry strap then wrap the fanny over top of the sticks and cinch down tight to my waist to keep the sticks from swinging around. Any extra clothes get bungee to the sticks.
When I get a deer I hall it all back to the truck, drop it all off and trade for a better flashlight, knife and cart, sled , etc.

I don't take along anything associated with getting the deer out of the woods. I know it's going to take me two trips when I get a deer. My gear list is really small.

Climbing sticks 3 or 4 max
Two wild edge stepps in a badlands fanny pack for platform
Bow rope
Flashlight
Grunt call oct./nov.
Bow hook
Saddle/tree tether/linemans belt
Rangefinder
Cell phone in case of emergency
Truck keys
Milkweed
Bow/arrows
Small compass when necessary

Everything else stays in the truck. Other than the fanny pack for the stepps everything else goes in pockets. On short hunts after work I don't take food or water. I throw the sticks on my back with a carry strap then wrap the fanny over top of the sticks and cinch down tight to my waist to keep the sticks from swinging around. Any extra clothes get bungee to the sticks.
When I get a deer I hall it all back to the truck, drop it all off and trade for a better flashlight, knife and cart, sled , etc.

X2 very similar. Little to no extra anything. I rarely take food at all and water is very minimal to save on weight and I don’t want to have to use the bathroom if possible.

I just take water if it is over 60 degrees. Hydrate well before hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 very similar.
If it's a really long hike in I may occasionally bring the cart, but if the cart or sled is coming I just pile everything on the cart/sled.

Im trying to figure this out also how im going to pack everything in i have not received my saddle yet and i am super excited i put two aiders on two steps so it will give me at least another 4-6 foot higher. Might add 2 more on other sticks for even higher hunts which i like to be at least 20-25 feet. But i have long long walks and am thinking just bungee pants and coat to sticks or pack. Cause sweating kills me i get cold easy anymore especially after sweating on way to stand.

I wear my Kestrel in, It looks something like this

I carry a minimalist sling pack over one shoulder

Then my sticks are slung over opposite of my pack

Carry bow in hand.

Thanks,
Boswell

If you can put screw in steps in the tree, the whole thing is much simpler. If not, a good pack makes all the difference. If I have to haul a platform and sticks, I just take the top of my LW Assault hand climber for a platform and my LW sticks to climb. I almost never do this. Either I preset them with a drill and bolts or I take good screw in steps in and just go straight up. Recently some of the kind folks on here reassured me that Cranford steps are the best, and I've not been disappointed. Light, strong, go in the tree fast. If you spend on them what you would spend on LW sticks to get to the same height, they are cheaper, and definitely lighter.
Get yourself a good pack that you can haul gear and meat out with. I use a Mystery Ranch Longbow, a Kifaru Timberline, or a Kifaru Xray. I'm sure Exo makes great packs. Then just keep tweaking till you like it. Until I got a system down, it was all a bigger pain in the butt than treestands. Once I got it right, I started wondering what I was going to do with all those tree stands. Cherry pick ideas from the folks on here. There's some mighty good info. Best of luck.

I posted a video on another pack thread that shows how I attach everything to my pack (except my recurve/longbow)

I wear my Kestrel in, It looks something like this

I carry a minimalist sling pack over one shoulder

Then my sticks are slung over opposite of my pack

Carry bow in hand.

Thanks,
Boswell

Thanks. Big help Just trying to get together what i need before my kesel gets here and kinda of a system to get down. I have 6 bullman bros steps and i see you use same type of platform. How do you have steps set do tou affix them in a position or do you let them slide on the strap ? Im having a little trouble mounting this it gets twisted a turns etc? What am i missing?

How do you have steps set do tou affix them in a position or do you let them slide on the strap ? Im having a little trouble mounting this it gets twisted a turns etc? What am i missing?
This is one of the down falls of them. When setting them on the tree you can have some that are upside down, this is because of where the strap is located on the step. Not a big deal can easily be flipped over. I have a video review of them done. I will post it up shortly.

Thanks,
Boswell

Another advantage of a platform? It is pretty easy to get them set upside right :) Sorry couldn't resist.

Another advantage of a platform? It is pretty easy to get them set upside right :) Sorry couldn't resist.

Lol. Your absolutely right. They never land where you want them

Ok bro disregard my question on you tube then thnks cant wait to see the video. Its gonna help

I carry my Kestrel in my backpack I carry my 4 Lone Wolf sticks on their stick caddy over my shoulder and I carry my platform which is 5 ameristep on a ratchet strap in a camo bag that is clipped to my backpack . In the backpack I carry 2 grunt calls a rattling bag 2 releases for my bow a bow hanger and a hanger for my backpack an extra pull up rope and also in my backpack I have a pull-up automatic reel for my bow and packed so I can pull them up the tree. During the rut I also carry a set of rattling horns.

This is one of the down falls of them. When setting them on the tree you can have some that are upside down, this is because of where the strap is located on the step. Not a big deal can easily be flipped over. I have a video review of them done. I will post it up shortly.

Thanks,
Boswell

Hey bob you gonna post that video on your steps and strap?

Back