• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform vs screw-in steps

Bubbz00

what do you guys prefer and why? I been using the screw in steps and there ok but thinking platform may be better.

Platforms are comfortable. Screw Steps fit in your pocket. Screw steps can't be used on public land. Strap steps fit in a pouch and can be used on public land.

If you use a Hand Climber seat as you platform, it is more comfortable, less stable on the tree, but can be used as your climbing method too.

That's it in a nutshell.

IMHO, screw-in steps make a very uncomfortable platform but they are nice to carry. There are trade offs to everything.

IMO Steps are typically lighter (depending on what you use) and more versatile. Platforms are typically less versatile and a heavier and slightly more bulky.

Thanks,
Boswell

I hunt on steps 100% of the time. Screw in where allowed, strap on otherwise or when mobile.

Platforms are comfortable. Screw Steps fit in your pocket. Screw steps can't be used on public land. Strap steps fit in a pouch and can be used on public land.

If you use a Hand Climber seat as you platform, it is more comfortable, less stable on the tree, but can be used as your climbing method too.

That's it in a nutshell.
I just tried climbing in my yard. Seemed like a lot of work. I felt to close to the tree. Any suggestions?

I just tried climbing in my yard. Seemed like a lot of work. I felt to close to the tree. Any suggestions?
XOP? The key with any climbing method is to figure out how to only use the muscles you need to and to stay as relaxed as possible. Anything new will usually cause you to work harder than you need to.

When you hang from the harness, you will be against the tree. I just put my hands against the tree and point my toes down A LITTLE and pull my knees up. Make sure you don’t try to advance too much with the platform tilted down or it will get jammed.

I tied a foot loop with webbing and attached a cord to the middle of the foot loop (I can pull it open to get my feet in) and attach the cord to my harness so I can’t drop the platform.

Rappelling down is a lot easier than climbing down with the platform.

XOP? The key with any climbing method is to figure out how to only use the muscles you need to and to stay as relaxed as possible. Anything new will usually cause you to work harder than you need to.

When you hang from the harness, you will be against the tree. I just put my hands against the tree and point my toes down A LITTLE and pull my knees up. Make sure you don’t try to advance too much with the platform tilted down or it will get jammed.

I tied a foot loop with webbing and attached a cord to the middle of the foot loop (I can pull it open to get my feet in) and attach the cord to my harness so I can’t drop the platform.

Rappelling down is a lot easier than climbing down with the platform.
I have a wolf hand climber. Do you strap it once up so it doesn't move?

I don’t. It wasn’t a problem for me. If you stood at a very odd angle, it will move...could make noise on bark etc.

On Ernie’s platform, he gets all the way around the tree. A hand Climber is going to lean if you do it like that.

What you CAN do...when the wind or light changes or you need to reposition, you just tighten your tether and lift your feet and move the platform around the tree

For anyone who thinks that standing on screw in steps is uncomfortable, try sitting in your saddle instead of standing on the steps and you will see a difference.

The perfect platform is probably the most personal choice in saddle hunting. This is because everyone has different motivations and goals. Some want comfort, while others value mobility and weight savings.

I have used every platform ever created and I can tell you this: there is no all-in-one solution.

If I had to pick one as the best all around, I'd have to go with Ameristep strap on steps. They're not the lightest or the most comfortable, but I believe they are the best all around bang for your buck.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

If you are a leaner vs a sitter and you're using steps for a platform, the support provided by the soles of your boots can make or break your day. Obviously, the more narrow the step, the more pronounced the potential for discomfort. One reason why the Ameristeps are popular with saddle hunters is that they are more more comfortable to stand on than wire screw-ins.

Back