• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Post your hunting rappelling gear and rough cost

BOMO

After reading several threads here on rappelling after a hunt, I'm getting really interested in gathering the gear and doing it. I like to do a lot of research on what others say about products and cost vs perceived value analysis (I'm cheap, but will pay for quality if it's worth it) before I purchase gear.
I know several of you have posted your setups in various other threads, but I didn't see another thread were this was asked specifically and it would be a good reference for noobs like me to have it in one place instead of multiple threads. I'll let the saddlehunter.com powers-that-be decide if this is sticky worthy.

Please post your the rappelling gear that you use or like the best for hunting, a short description of why you chose your gear, and the estimated cost to acquire said gear (either per item or overall).

This site is awesome! Thank you!

Let me preface this by saying I have all kinds of climbing equipment so my tree gear rotates depending on my expectations. So I'll give you my bare minmums to get in a tree.
Weaver Cougar Saddle - Bought used off craigslist ($150) - Could be done with a Rock climbing harness and a horse cinch for about 75 probable cheaper if you're willing to sacrifice comfort while climbing.

Two pack of black aluminum locking carabiners from cabla's ($20) -They're rated to 23kN I found it on the packaging.

Yale Bandit 120' ($88) - If you do a shorty spool from treestuff.com ($49) may have to dye your rope. You'll use this for more than just a climbing rope.

2 10mm BeeLine Eye2Eye prusiks. ($50) 1 for my rope bridge connection and 1 for flipline or climbing stirups.
-You could use 7-8mm polyester accessory chord from REI ($14-17 for 30' which will give you all the accessory cord you'll need for your whole rig) but I like the Beeline because I can descend on it in an emergency without haveing to change over to belay.

Climbing Technologies Foot Ascender ($63) - Like I mentioned above you can just make a pair of foot loops and a prusik from the ($14-17) Accessory chord you already have.

Petzl Pirana descender and Biner. (About $45) - You can get a atc w/biner for about ($31) or just use a good round pear biner and a Munter Hitch for ($15)

Above mentioned Accessory Cord ($14-17) - A must have. There's a million uses for the stuff and it's always good to have around in an emergency. I could go into all the uses but we'd need a new thread.

I think that about does it for the barebones get-er-done getin a tree rope climbing system. (oh throwline and weight $17)

I am still editing my thread: http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/types-of-rappel-rigs.2499/#post-30011

As you research, concepts sink in and make sense...go back and read it multiple times.

In a nutshell, my advice is to not become a "tweaker " and don't try to be original, DIY or ultralight if you don't want to spend money just for fun!

You didn't mention your method of getting into the tree. That has a lot of bearing on rappel at all.

I am still editing my thread: http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/types-of-rappel-rigs.2499/#post-30011

As you research, concepts sink in and make sense...go back and read it multiple times.

In a nutshell, my advice is to not become a "tweaker " and don't try to be original, DIY or ultralight if you don't want to spend money just for fun!

You didn't mention your method of getting into the tree. That has a lot of bearing on rappel at all.
I currently have 3 versa button helium sticks with a single webbing loops on each, but that will be extra work coming down, stopping to remove each stick. I'm leaning toward changing to spurs for private land and single stick with webbing loop for public land, but I have not tried either.
I definitely want to be as safe as possible and I'm slightly scared of heights until I get strapped in at hunting height.

I currently have 3 versa button helium sticks with a single webbing loops on each, but that will be extra work coming down, stopping to remove each stick. I'm leaning toward changing to spurs for private land and single stick with webbing loop for public land, but I have not tried either.
I definitely want to be as safe as possible and I'm slightly scared of heights until I get strapped in at hunting height.
BOMO I think I asked at one point. But what part of Missouri are you in?

Perfect.

You should also consider adding an XOP Hand climber seat into the mix.
Easier than single stick and gives you a platform.
Needs no modification other than a foot strap and leash to keep you from dropping it. The limitation with it is tree size (like any climber) but it's a great no fuss option.

I personally like 'no stick' with an aider on a second tether. No Stick to bang into (or carry)

If you can take a trip to the Jeffco area I'll let you try my rig out and see how you like it. I'm south of STL by about 51 miles.

Perfect.

You should also consider adding an XOP Hand climber seat into the mix.
Easier than single stick and gives you a platform.
Needs no modification other than a foot strap and leash to keep you from dropping it. The limitation with it is tree size (like any climber) but it's a great no fuss option.

I personally like 'no stick' with an aider on a second tether. No Stick to bang into (or carry)
I'm actually building a XOP Platform also (I have everything but the rope), but I wasn't planning to use it to climb due to the specific tree type, like you eluded too. The 'no stick' aider seems like it would be a lot of extra work, but I haven't tried it either.
Thanks for giving me some more to consider.

Once you learn how to stand on an aider I find it easier than one stick. And you don't climb up and then climb back down. Just climb to the top of the aider and move up your tether, hang from your tether and move the aider up...You really want a Ropeman.

Then you can just pack it up in when you want to descend. You can use it as a gear hanger while hunting, you can hook up to it while switching to rappel etc.

But I hate carrying sticks. If I am hunting my back yard or 100 yards from my car they are a convenience.
But I still feel more danger in sticks with loops than when I no stick climb while staying tethered all the way up and down.

Find multiple uses for things and you'll need less crap. Integrating all of this stuff together is what makes me happy when on stand. If I carry an extra 5lbs of metal just to have something to stand on I get irritated :)

I'm actually building a XOP Platform also (I have everything but the rope), but I wasn't planning to use it to climb due to the specific tree type, like you eluded too. The 'no stick' aider seems like it would be a lot of extra work, but I haven't tried it either.
Thanks for giving me some more to consider.

If you can take a trip to the Jeffco area I'll let you try my rig out and see how you like it. I'm south of STL by about 51 miles.
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I hardly ever go through there. If I do go to STL, it's a quick trip with my family in-tow.

Back on topic

Black Diamond 5 step aider (not Alpine or pocket!) $25

Shorty Spool Edelrid $50
You can make a long tether, linesmans belt and a second tether with this and just use a bow rope to retrieve your tether.

Or get a spool of Zing It for $30

Rit synthetic dye more $5

Sterling hollow block loop (autoblock) $12

Back on topic

Black Diamond 5 step aider (not Alpine or pocket!) $25

Shorty Spool Edelrid $50
You can make a long tether, linesmans belt and a second tether with this and just use a bow rope to retrieve your tether.

Or get a spool of Zing It for $30

Rit synthetic dye more $5

Sterling hollow block loop (autoblock) $12
Is the tether, lineman belt, and second tether all on the same length of rope? Would this same rope be used to rappel too?

Sent using Tapatalk

Is the tether, lineman belt, and second tether all on the same length of rope? Would this same rope be used to rappel too?

Sent using Tapatalk
One way is to have a tether that goes all the way to ground and you also rappel on it.
The second tether would be a standard 10' or so (when you don't want ground length or to experiment with no stick).
The Linesman's belt ..mine is 10' after knots. I use a Ropeman to adjust it. When I need it, I can change it to auxiliary tether. Like if I am climbing and need to cross branches.

You COULD use smaller rope or exotic ropes for linesman or for rappel. But then you're going to end up spending way more money.
There is a lot of gear being used out of spec here. Some one is eventually going to get hurt.

You need to decide if you are going to get a ropeman or two....it 'likes' 10-11mm rope. Some are using it on 9mm...AT YOUR OWN RISK.
I personally would get the shorty roll of rope and use the savings to buy two rope man 1. Once you use them, you don't want to go back to Prusiks.

P.S.
I play around with a lot of this stuff just because I think it is fun.
I could just take my Sticks and Evo and Ameristep platform and shut up and go hunt....

Or just sit on a paint bucket on the ground.
But where would the fun be in that? ;)

I'm thinking a ground length 5.5mm blue water tether with a Petzl Piranha, and 2 linesman belts, each with a Ropeman1 and 10mm rope. The double linesman is so I can safely pass limbs without ever unhooking, and possibly as a backup tether.

Edit: 10mm for the ropeman1, which I believe is the recommended minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking a ground length 5.5mm blue water tether with a Petzl Piranha, and 2 linesman belts, each with a Ropeman1 and 10mm rope. The double linesman is so I can safely pass limbs without ever unhooking, and possibly as a backup tether.

Edit: 10mm for the ropeman1, which I believe is the recommended minimum.

I would not hang off of 5.5 mm line. I believe when Ernie is using line that small he is doubling it.

Reading your post you are willing to use 2 lengths of 10mm line for lineman belts, but then you drop to 5.5mm for your tether which is your life support line.

I just want to make you stop and rethink this because I do not like the sound of it.

Ok. Back on topic. Post your rappel setup and estimated cost. Good stuff so far.

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm completely comfortable with 3,100lbf of the Dyneema, that kind of strength will take a 14 foot fall for a 200lb man. The reason for the 10mm on the linesman belt is because of the recommended minimum diameter on the Ropeman.

I'm pretty sure all the resistance settings of the Piranha will make it so I can just barely creep down the tree. I can definitely see the issue of smaller rope with devices requiring a specific size, but the Piranha doesn't operate that way.

What safety issues arise from a thinner rope, assuming working load strength is adequate?

Back