• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Problem with ring of steps!!

Lane Williams

I received my ring of steps today so I went to the back yard to try out my sit- drag saddle for the first time. The saddle was comfortable from the ground and I loved it!! I defiantly think I will be hunting from the sit-drag this fall. The problem that I had was when I moved off the ground. I used a ring of steps for my platform. As I moved around the tree my ring of steps would work there way down. Causing me to continuously have to readjust the steps. Any suggestions?? I didn’t have this problem using a single step for climbing. But the ring of steps kept sliding down.

Everyone does it differently but G2 has a nice video on how he does it. I tighten with the ratchet and hop on and let em settle, then tighten again and stay rock solid. The key in my world is tightening that ratchet as tight as it goes and then go one more click!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a platform, lol. I think one of the reasons I had such good luck with the sitdrag is because I was using a platform and I'm a leaner, so there is less pressure on the saddle and more on the feet/platform. I tried the ring of steps and while I didn't have the issue you stated about them sliding down, I was not comfortable.

There is a reason so many of us tried the ameristeps on a ratchet/boat buckle and then moved towards a platform. I experienced far too many unexpected shifts at just the wrong moment while suing ameristeps on a strap. yes they work 70% of the time with no issue - but crap I don't want to spend all the time I do to set up on a specific buck and then have a fail at just the wrong moment. With a platform, proper tree selection and set up I have not had a failure due to noise from my platform at the wrong time. And as I demonstrated in my shooting videos, to me it is far easier to get off a shot with minimal movement from a platform. But then again I don't climb over 24 foot max and most of my set ups are from 8 -18 foot high.

You don't have them tight enough. Check out the boat buckle thread. One you get them tight enough they may settle in but they shouldn't slide down much.

I received my ring of steps today so I went to the back yard to try out my sit- drag saddle for the first time. The saddle was comfortable from the ground and I loved it!! I defiantly think I will be hunting from the sit-drag this fall. The problem that I had was when I moved off the ground. I used a ring of steps for my platform. As I moved around the tree my ring of steps would work there way down. Causing me to continuously have to readjust the steps. Any suggestions?? I didn’t have this problem using a single step for climbing. But the ring of steps kept sliding down.
Are we talking ameristeps or Bullman? I know thw bullman need to be a hell of a lot tighter from what I've heard....

You can mimic a platform by hanging a hang on stand and just use the seat to get the feel of it, most will put the tether at about eye level. Just for consistency I always put the tether on before stepping onto any platform whether a few feet off the ground or at hunting height then adjust the tether. I've got 4 ameristeps on a boat buckle strap and they move a little but not enough to worry about but im a leaner so ive got a predator platform ordered. Good luck, keep experimenting.

Thanks for the help guys! I’ll try swapping the strap out with a boat buckle or a rachet. And I’ll start looking at some different platform options.

I believe if you order the platform kit it comes with a ratchet strap.

They are the bullman silent approach steps. They came with a cinch type buckle not a rachet.
I didn't have any luck with those steps as a platform. I could not get them tight enough with my boat buckle and I refuse to use a ratchet strap.

I’ve had the same issue

I’d rather use a ratchet strap and give that a go

Any suggestions on what ratchet to get?

Everyone does it differently but G2 has a nice video on how he does it. I tighten with the ratchet and hop on and let em settle, then tighten again and stay rock solid. The key in my world is tightening that ratchet as tight as it goes and then go one more click!

What’s the name of G2s video or can you put a link on here?

Start here and glean through some of those on his page! All really are great!!

I use a ratchet strap from Strapworks . What I do is ratchet it as tight if I can get it and then I ratchet it again.

Back