• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Questions for the rappellers......

Chris Kazlauskas

I’m a spurs up and rappeller down. I’m currently using the Italian method as a belay, and a pursic knot to stop me to retrieve my preditor platform . I’m wanting to reduce my kit. I’m looking for a device to use on my tether to hold me as I hunt, then could be used as my belay rappel down. I know about the Gigi And the new “click-up” but was wanting to know what others were using. Thanks

I ended up giving up on the rapelling setup. It was too fussy for me. My spurs aren't difficult to come down on since switching to the Predator Platform.

I ended up giving up on the rapelling setup. It was too fussy for me. My spurs aren't difficult to come down on since switching to the Predator Platform.

Same here. Rapelling sure is fun but I was constantly having trouble getting the rope down and tangled up in brush in the dark. I just spur back down now and find it easier myself. Rapelling makes you feel like a ninja tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using the Madrock Safeguard. Same principle as the GriGri but more compact and lighter. Also the Safeguard doesn't have the cam return spring so it is actually designed for this type of use rather than using a device designed for belay as a rappel device. I rappelled all season using the Safeguard with no issues, wet rope, frozen rope, all conditions, it always worked flawlessly. It also allows me to easily stop on the way down to remove my Predator platform and my climbing aids.

G2- what made using the spurs to come back down after switching to the platform better ? getting the spurs back on while up the tree is what kills me. not limber enough . on the ground you can stoop down- gotta be a better technique while up tree while having layers of clothes on.- just need to find it but rapeling is fun.

So does anyone preset ropes for different trees to hunt?
This and:

What's the preferred string to use? Paracord seems like the cheapest, but reflective string isn't bad and can make it easier to find in the dark. Zing it is a bit pricier but seems best suited to the task.

This and:

What's the preferred string to use? Paracord seems like the cheapest, but reflective string isn't bad and can make it easier to find in the dark. Zing it is a bit pricier but seems best suited to the task.

Bump

I suppose I could add fishing line as an option to the top cords for rappel presets.

Who’s got opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@pesqimon, I have preset trees although I did not this year. When I have preset I used a loop of paracord in a grn/brn color that blends in well. I mainly hunt public land and don't really like to advertise my setups if I can help it.

The paracord works well, it is strong ad slippery enough to the do the job. I tie it in a continuous loop around my preferred tie in point with a tag end hanging loose so I can attach my rope to it. Pulling one side of the loop feeds the rope up, around my tie in point and back down. Once routed I just disconnect the main line from the paracord before girth hitching. This method always leaves the paracord where I want it. I thought about presetting a couple of trees this year that didn't have convenient tie in points (i.e. no low branches) using a WE stepp and routing the paracord through the triangle, around the tree and back through the triangle. The WE Stepp would support the paracord and rope during install but I would still be primarily supported by the tree once girth hitched. I tried it at head height and the concept seemed to work but I never had an opportunity to put it into practice. It's one of those "off season" trials I'll run this year.

@pesqimon, I have preset trees although I did not this year. When I have preset I used a loop of paracord in a grn/brn color that blends in well. I mainly hunt public land and don't really like to advertise my setups if I can help it.

The paracord works well, it is strong ad slippery enough to the do the job. I tie it in a continuous loop around my preferred tie in point with a tag end hanging loose so I can attach my rope to it. Pulling one side of the loop feeds the rope up, around my tie in point and back down. Once routed I just disconnect the main line from the paracord before girth hitching. This method always leaves the paracord where I want it. I thought about presetting a couple of trees this year that didn't have convenient tie in points (i.e. no low branches) using a WE stepp and routing the paracord through the triangle, around the tree and back through the triangle. The WE Stepp would support the paracord and rope during install but I would still be primarily supported by the tree once girth hitched. I tried it at head height and the concept seemed to work but I never had an opportunity to put it into practice. It's one of those "off season" trials I'll run this year.

You brought up something that has been a question for me. Is a branch always needed below your rope for rappelling or is a girth hitch around the trunk sufficient? I'm not thinking in terms of presets, just rappelling down after a climb u with spurs.

You brought up something that has been a question for me. Is a branch always needed below your rope for rappelling or is a girth hitch around the trunk sufficient? I'm not thinking in terms of presets, just rappelling down after a climb u with spurs.
A girth hitch is sufficient when you're just going down.

As @redsquirrel previously replied the girth hitch around the tree holds fine for rappelling down. In fact, I prefer rappelling from just a girth hitch (not above a branch) as it simplifies the rope retrieval. Once the girth hitch is pulled loose the rope will typically just drop to ground level.

Back