• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rain Suit for Hunting

I keep a Cabela's packable rainsuit on my saddle at all times. But if it's pouring I will get out and go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am more than satisfied with my MTO50 packable rain suit from Cabelas. going on 9 years now.

I've been searching for the one answer to this question for 20 years.
I don't think there is one.

I have everything from cheapo $25 per set Frogg Toggs to MT050 with Scent Lok at over $300 per set... Marmot, Patagonia, etc...
I vowed years ago that if I was going to live in a city and drive half a day to my hunting camp, I wasn't going to miss out over the rain. That has probably cost me more than rescheduling my trips!!! haha... but I find that I use several different anti-weather systems b/c I have invested in them. Probably wouldn't recommend anyone else take my path so I hope you get the one best answer so I can steal it.

If you have a gander close to you that still has there Guide series H2O they are pretty good I don't think you would be disappointed for the price.

Check and make sure the hard core stuff is quiet if you try it. I didn't didn't think about it not being made of a quiet material.

I have tried a few over the years. And no matter what they all seem to leak on me after 3-4 hours. I got a great deal on a Sitka Downpour rain jacket last year. The best jacket I have ever owned! I did a all day sit in the rain last year and not one drop of water got through.

I have tried a few over the years. And no matter what they all seem to leak on me after 3-4 hours. I got a great deal on a Sitka Downpour rain jacket last year. The best jacket I have ever owned! I did a all day sit in the rain last year and not one drop of water got through.

Sitka is like number 1 most sought after clothing in Alaska

Sitka is like number 1 most sought after clothing in Alaska

I don't think I could ever pay full price for it. But if I can get another good deal this year, I will definitely be picking some more pieces. I really liking the stuff.

I'm still on the search.

I want it to be light and small enough where I ALWAYS have it. I hate making the 'do I need to bring this?" choices on my way out the door. I carry a very light poncho now...can hunker down next a tree and cover myself and my gear. I can put it on easily while in a tree.
Also works in a pinch if you get very cold.

I wish I could find a reasonably quiet poncho...so far they all weigh 2#. Hazard4 and GloryFire Soft-shell Technical ponchos...

Over ten plus years ago I bought a military surplus rain proof trench style light coat. The place I got it had been closed for years and there are no tags or markings on it. Up until the tail end of last year I've never gotten wet and it's fairly quiet. Now that it's starting to seep through after a few hours I've been trying to find another one. I like the trench coat because I can pack it and put it on any time. It covers 70% of my legs so I don't need anything waterproof for pants unless it's an all day sit. Now that I'm on this scent elimination kick I probably will buy something scentlok to try for its replacement.

I will admit that I look like an idiot when I wear it and it would probably get the cops called if I went in public with it. But it sure beats having to put waterproof pants on while in a tree. I also like that it has a built in belt around the mid section so I can tighten it down and prevent the puffy affect from getting into my bow string.

I have had a great rain suit (no name brand) it is a bit heavy but despite being cheap performs great! Just so happened that I picked up Frog Toggs suit for a good price and have been impressed with it as well.

Back