• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recommended pack

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Which pack does everyone recommend for a backcountry trip? And how big?

jlh42581- I know you recommend the KUIU Ultra. They look nice. Which size do you recommend? I'm sure the 1800 is too small. Is the 3000 big enough? I don't have much to compare it to right now except my normal day pack.

I have the 1800 if you want some pics I can get some this weekend. I consider it a day pack with meat capability. You could camp out of it but you'd probably need the meat space for gear. I think you can get 2000 more cubic inches between frame and bag on them all.

3000 would likely do a few days, depending on how much and size of gear.

6000 would do a week easy.

All of them have lashing straps for sleeping bags or tripods. I plan to add the 6000 but that's a lot of pack for day to day. I might do the 3000 as I'm pretty sure I could configure it for a week but my gut says 6000.

I chose the ultra due to features vs price. Its super light saving weight on just the pack. Its adjustable torso length means it fits a wide range.

Going up from there gets expensive fast. Kifaru, Mystery Ranch are all expensive.

Popular packs like the x2 didn't fit me right, I had a horn hunter full curl and that didn't fit right.

Biggest thing you have to aim for is the right torso size. Have someone measure it with instructions found on rei. If a pack doesn't mention torso size move on. Btw, load lifters that fall bellow your shoulders won't do anything for you.

Anyone on a budget should look at Rei. I feel a frame is super important

I'm not a pack expert and have only tried a few but I know what mistakes I have made and what I would choose.

There's never enough pack space when you need it.

If you have too much space, that is a good thing because most packs can just be cinched down anyway and you end up carrying mebbe a pound of extra pack weight - big deal.

The moment you go cold weather, needed volume balloons up ridiculously. You will want a snowmobile.

With the above rationale, get the lightest, highest volume pack that you can get that is compressible.

I use a Seek Outside Paradox pack frame system for everything.

Don't forget guys, your dollar is pretty strong compared to the loonie. Check out MEC too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alukban said:
I'm not a pack expert and have only tried a few but I know what mistakes I have made and what I would choose.

There's never enough pack space when you need it.

If you have too much space, that is a good thing because most packs can just be cinched down anyway and you end up carrying mebbe a pound of extra pack weight - big deal.

The moment you go cold weather, needed volume balloons up ridiculously. You will want a snowmobile.

With the above rationale, get the lightest, highest volume pack that you can get that is compressible.

I use a Seek Outside Paradox pack frame system for everything.

Thanks. This was very good advice.

Alright, I have been researching on packs a ton. My ultimate goal is a backcountry elk trip in the next few years so I'm planning ahead for that.

I really like the KUIU ultra in the 6000 size and I am probably leaning towards that one due to the adjustability and the weight of the pack. I also wanted to share that Exo mountain packs look really nice also: http://exomountaingear.com/pack-features/

Also looking at stone glacier http://www.stoneglacier.com/. They're a little more pricey but not too bad and they're regarded as higher end packs. I'm really liking their new sky archer 6200, it seems like it would be really adaptable to the trip. They compare pretty closely in weight to the kuiu ultra pack as well.

Kuiu released the new icon pro today. It uses the same frame as the ultra. A little different in suspension but all bags interchange. Theres also a full meat only sling coming. I'll be having that. They had the 7200 out and I couldn't imagine that thing stuffed on my back. Its a monster. I'm debating if 3200 might be enough then again I have the 1800 already and the option to stuff would be there. I'm not going bigger than 6 for my big bag. Thats a lot. I'm pretty confident I could bivy in my 1800 no problem with how compact most of my stuff is.

I like that bow string cover they have too. I use my primos sling all the time but it could be better.

I pulled the trigger on the stone glacier sky archer 6200 the other night. I really like how it has the 500cc lid, and then goes to 5700 without it and folds down to 4000. It seems like will be very adaptable to different situations.

While researching, a lot of people were saying they would like it better if it was the icon series with the ultra frame. Looks like they listened.

I did my ohio scouting trip staying out of my pack. I didn't do the turkey hunt because I shot a giant opening day.

My 3000 was slammed full. If you're going more than three days without restocking then you definitely want the 5000 or bigger. If you choose the 3000 you can always load sling another 2000.

One thing... my gear is light and 3000 packed full was more than I wanted to carry. It beat me up.

I know this is an old thread but I recently got a used Sitka Flash 32. It is NICE.
I haven't really used it yet.
With a 3200 pack, (really with just about any pack) I figure out what HAS to be inside the pack and work back from there.
Cold weather layers get strapped to the outside. Same for hammock layers.

I like that bow string cover they have too. I use my primos sling all the time but it could be better.

I pulled the trigger on the stone glacier sky archer 6200 the other night. I really like how it has the 500cc lid, and then goes to 5700 without it and folds down to 4000. It seems like will be very adaptable to different situations.

While researching, a lot of people were saying they would like it better if it was the icon series with the ultra frame. Looks like they listened.
How's this pack working out and what have you used it for? I've used Mystery Ranch and Kifaru quite a bit, but I've never had my hands on a SG. They look very nice.

I don't post here anymore cause my body can't take saddles but since this is packs I'll give an update.

I'm not sure what's happening on KUIU. The packs aren't as wide a variety anymore. I will buy the 6000 at some point. I did bivy out of my 3000 but it was pushing it. As a day bag it's great.

Shot a nice 8 in October and packed him out boneless. I'll tell ya, it was about all I could take. I should've made two trips. That's also the problem with getting an even bigger bag. 3000 packed is a fair amount of weight. I made the mistake of carrying it plus a xop sit and climb on my bivy hunt. It damn near killed me. I know why it's not super popular. You either need to have a saddle with pre set steps, a few stands set before the hunt or stash a setup before the hunt. Carrying a stand, pack, water, bow... It's too much. Another option which may be even better is a cart.

I've added a mountain bike to my tools but didn't get it till late fall. Figure it out for next year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have got the KUIU 1800 and 6000. I can do a 10 day hunt from the 6000, Could squeeze a weekend hunt out of the 1800 if I had to. Mostly use the 1800 for day hunts and 6000 for anything more than 2 days.

Thanks,
Boswell

How's this pack working out and what have you used it for? I've used Mystery Ranch and Kifaru quite a bit, but I've never had my hands on a SG. They look very nice.
Unfortunately I haven't used it for anything but a few scouting trips so far. I bought the pack, my wife got pregnant, then we had the baby and I just haven't been able to get away for any weekend trips yet. Things have settled down a little bit (at least as much as they ever will lol) and I'm FINALLY expecting to get out in the spring to do a scouting trip to prep for at least one weekend in the fall. I am itching to use this so bad, I have my full hammock camping setup that hasn't seen anything more than the backyard too.

The only real thing I can say is that the pack is great quality. Every time I have taken it out I've made a couple adjustments for comfort and it feels better every time.

Back