• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

redsquirrel aider on sticks

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
FYI the redsquirrel aider works just as well with sticks as it did with stepps, maybe even better. I combined the adjustability of my aider with Dave's idea to take one aider up the tree with sticks and hook it over the top step. For a guy with short legs like me, having that aider be adjustable is huge to get extra height.

Is the rope just girth hitched around the stick in a similar way to what Dave does with his webbing? Any chance the ascender would wind up banging against the stick?

Is the rope just girth hitched around the stick in a similar way to what Dave does with his webbing? Any chance the ascender would wind up banging against the stick?

The rope just loops over the steps/stick at the top. There is a chance the ascender will bang. Stealth strips will help but it hasn’t been a problem yet while I’ve been testing it.

From my experience, I can have my loop bottom 2-3 foot above the stick I'm standing on (I can loosen my LB and pull my foot up to the loop with my hands) and a loop of 24 inches below the next stick.... I see absolutely no need for an ascender on a long foot loop on sticks..... it way over complicates descending in the dark IMO. I can easily get over 20' to my platform with my 3 sticks and one aider. For 2# more a fourth stick will get you over 27 foot. It was difficult for me to gauge just how far to release the ascender for loop and step safely down to stick for a net gain of maybe 6-12 inches. If you hunt 30 foot I suppose I can see the rationale, but for hunting to 21 foot you just don't need anything more then 3 modified sticks and one aider IMO.

Last edited:
From my experience, I can have my loop bottom 2-3 foot above the stick I'm standing on (I can loosen my LB and pull my foot up to the loop with my hands) and a loop of 24 inches below the next stick.... I see absolutely no need for an ascender on a long foot loop on sticks..... it way over complicates descending in the dark IMO. I can easily get over 20' to my platform with my 3 sticks and one aider. For 2# more a fourth stick will get you over 27 foot. It was difficult for me to gauge just how far to release the ascender for loop and step safely down to stick for a net gain of maybe 6-12 inches. If you hunt 30 foot I suppose I can see the rationale, but for hunting to 21 foot you just don't need anything more then 3 modified sticks and one aider IMO.

So you are using 2 different lengths of fixed aider loops?

So you are using 2 different lengths of fixed aider loops?
No one... but I can vary how high I set it. I easily get 6.5 foot a stick when I need it. But truth is I mostly set up at 18-20 foot so 6 foot per stick gets it done

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I really like the idea of the Ropeman on an aider. I can't get high enough with only a single loop. My legs are too short. If I hunted at 18' around here, I'd get busted left and right. Every once in a while I can get away with low setups, but not often. After watching your scouting videos and the scrubby, brushy stuff you're hunting, I could definitely see 18' working well.

I need to test the ropeman aider side by side with my 4 step DIY aider. That will be a good comparison for us vertically challenged guys.

I really like the idea of the Ropeman on an aider. I can't get high enough with only a single loop. My legs are too short. If I hunted at 18' around here, I'd get busted left and right. Every once in a while I can get away with low setups, but not often. After watching your scouting videos and the scrubby, brushy stuff you're hunting, I could definitely see 18' working well.

I need to test the ropeman aider side by side with my 4 step DIY aider. That will be a good comparison for us vertically challenged guys.

How high do you want to hunt G2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet if you pulled your foot up with an adjustable aider you could get 6.5 feet per stick like Dave does. It makes a big difference.

Dave, about how log is the webbing you used to make your aider? Have you ever considered a 2-step aider to get a little extra height? That seems like it might be feasible for those of us with a shorter step without using an ascender. Though I'm not sure if the stick placement/reach would allow for it, or if it just introduces too much unsteadiness.

I bet if you pulled your foot up with an adjustable aider you could get 6.5 feet per stick like Dave does. It makes a big difference.
Yeah I agree.

I don't think Dave's is adjustable though.

I need to have the ability to get to 20+ feet. I try to climb trees with limbs so that's usually not a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Dave,

Have you tested your aider with any single stepped sticks like lone wolf. I have 4 but I really want to move to using three but still want to get over 25 feet if necessary?

Dave,

Have you tested your aider with any single stepped sticks like lone wolf. I have 4 but I really want to move to using three but still want to get over 25 feet if necessary?

I personally would not use a single step stick with the current offering of two step sticks. I have a bunch of LW sticks that now sit in the shop. I cannot ever image going back to them. However, yes I believe it would work but it will not lay out from the tree as well as a two step stick does.

Yeah I agree.

I don't think Dave's is adjustable though.

I need to have the ability to get to 20+ feet. I try to climb trees with limbs so that's usually not a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I can easily shorten my loop by wrapping it around the top two steps. So if a person desired they could make a longer loop. By the way, I have short legs and poor flexibility - there is no way you and Red cannot get 6.5 foot with my system. Could I attach the stick even higher - sure I suppose I could but once again I am getting exactly where I need to be 100% of the time this year with 3 sticks and one fixed loop. I can get from ground level to 23 foot if I really stretch things out - but usually I am at 18-20 foot.

BTW getting higher will nto stop you from being pegged until the deer gets really close to your tree. I do NOT set up on telephone poles. Even when I hunt Ohio - I could pick trees that would force me and allow me to get 30 plus foot. I don't. I pick trees that will break up my silhouette and give me a good shot % at hitting both lungs at my effective shooting range. I have tracked for too many one lung shot deer and that can be iffy at best.

Dave, about how log is the webbing you used to make your aider? Have you ever considered a 2-step aider to get a little extra height? That seems like it might be feasible for those of us with a shorter step without using an ascender. Though I'm not sure if the stick placement/reach would allow for it, or if it just introduces too much unsteadiness.

I really am not 100% sure. I had a long length of it. I tied a loop and kept adjusting it to where it naturally laid open 22 inches below my stick (I think that is where I settled). Keep in mind that when you step on it it probably is more like 24-26 inches as weight stretched it slightly as the loop shrinks around your foot (another reason I love the irrigation pipe) I have to sometimes assist my foot up by grabbing my leg and pulling it up to the step. Coming sown gravity does that.

But none of that really matters for you...... personally, I recommend getting a longer piece of webbing and work out a loop that fits you perfectly. Adjust, try it, adjust, try it.... until you get it dialed in to what fits you and your limb length and flexibility. keep in mind as we layer it becomes more difficult to get the same height but that is easily adjusted by wrapping it around top two sticks once or twice.

I honestly think one Meticulous easy aider has many advantages over Dave's or red squirrels aiders. if you want to use one aider.

1. No ropeman to make noise on the stick
  2. It cinches to your foot so that it is very hard to drop as you move from stick to stick
  3. You pull your foot to a comfortable height even after putting pressure on it . It overcomes what Dave says here Keep in mind that when you step on it it probably is more like 24-26 inches as weight stretched it slightly as the loop shrinks around your foot
  4. If you are short or not flexible it helps to maximize your height on a single aider.
  5. It has a very wide foot loop that is very comfortable.
  6. I wonder if that wide foot loop adds friction against the tree to prevent foot movement or kickouts.
  7. It is as easy to adjust IMO as a ropeman.
  8. It costs less than a ropeman and the webbing you need to do a red squirrel option
  9. It is very light
  10. You can adjust to changing conditions. As you add layers you can change your height that you move
  11. At 5 foot 10 inches and 60 years old in winter clothes on a slippery tree I measured my move again. I could step up about 32 inches and then 28 more to my stick and then my stick was 23 inches for 83 inches... I felt comfortable moving that far because I could pull up my foot and I knew my foot was not leaving the aider. Yes it was a stretch but I have done it several times now.
  12. If you want a smaller move or do not feel comfortable you can adjust on the go to suit your conditions or needed tree height or clothing. A tall person would probably gain more height than me. Or a flexible person.
  13. It will fit a large winter boot and you don't have to fish your foot in an aider - this is safer IMO
  14. If you only want to move 22 inches with an aider no problem.
  15. You can have your foot on the ground when you put your foot in the aider. No balance needed for that no fishing necessary. Then pull your foot up to the desired height.
Disadvantage

1. It seems to have an slight excess of webbing that needs to be kept orderly.
Dave's method is simple and good and Red's equipment is familiar to us all but I sure do like that aider.

With Dave's method if you only get a 22 inch move with the aider and then move another 22 inches to the stick and another 22 inches on the stick . You only get 66 inches per stick. or 5 foot 6 inches.

Maybe my math is wrong but???
I wish I could do a video

Last edited:
You are speaking from your experience Dave. I have much shorter legs than you, so have the adjustable aider is a HUGE advantage. I can probably pull my let up at least an extra foot higher if not more by using an adjustable aider. As far as going down, going down is pretty easy. Once I set the length I really don't need to adjust the aider length on the way down and if I do it is pretty small. Gravity is actually my friend going down when I am attached to the tree, it makes stepping down to the next step easier.

Exactly. Same situation as me!

A single aider on the bottom step and then the adjustable aider off the top of the stick would easily let the short guys move as high as they could place that stick on the tree.
With two aider steps you should not have to move more than 21 inches per step to get 7 feet. Twenty one inches is about double what a commerical 4 step aider is per step. I am sure 21 inches is quite doable for most people.

A single aider on the bottom step and then the adjustable aider off the top of the stick would easily let the short guys move as high as they could place that stick on the tree.
With two aider steps you should not have to move more than 21 inches per step to get 7 feet. Twenty one inches is about double what a commerical 4 step aider is per step. I am sure 21 inches is quite doable for most people.
I can try it out, but I am sketchy of using multiple aiders once I get above the first stick.

Back