• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ricky racer's Cheap and Dirty Platform

ricky racer

Like everyone else here, I'm always looking for a safe, easy and light to carry climbing system and platform. I'm still looking for the climbing system but will probably end up with climbing sticks or the Tree Hopper system. I have both but haven't used them for a few years because I've been mainly hunting from ladder stands or climbers. Now that I'm excited about trying the saddle, I'll have to knock the cobwebs off of them and get reacquainted with their use.

For a platform though, I needed to come up with something easy to use and that wouldn't break the bank. Years ago I did like many of you, I put several Ameristeps on a single strap and it worked okay but they still moved around more than I cared. Of course I have them one of the Ameristep straps which couldn't be cinched really tight. I still have that setup but I'm older and fatter and don't really trust plastic to stand on. I wanted metal to stand on. The difference to me is like standing on a pine branch or standing on an oak branch. Once a pine branch fails, it just snaps "POW" without warning. An oak branch, if it's going to fail it happens a lot slower.The Ameristeps that I have are prior to the recall but I still don't trust them.

I've seen several posts by guys using some sort of stand made from seat's or cut down tree stands. That's not want I was looking for. I like the idea of the screw in tree steps for a platform but I'm done with screwing in steps. If I had a dollar for every step I've screwed in a tree.... Anyway, I liked the idea of the strap on steps but I didn't see any really good options available. Being the cheapskate that I am and a "DIY" kind of guy (like a lot of guys here) I started thinking of another way. This is what I came up with, keeping in mind that things may evolve as I play with it.

normal_Platform_2_%28Medium%29.jpg

The "steps" for the platform are made from 14 ga. sheet steel. It's a really simple and easy to make design, The tread area is about the same as the Ameristep.

normal_Platform_8_%28Medium%29.jpg

Platform_6_%28Medium%29.jpg

normal_Platform_5jpg_%28Medium%29.jpg

The sheet steel was sheared out in a kite shaped shape and slots cut for a 1" nylon strap to go through.

Platform_7_%28Medium%29.jpg

All that was required then was forming the bend. Once all the parts were formed all the edges were deburred especially the slot for the strap. Using a file or sander of some sort will make that pretty quick and easy to do. On the slots I suggest taking some emery cloth and sand the slot in kind of a "shoe shine" motion. Once the slot is free of any sharp edges, I threaded my nylon strap through the slots while adding an o-ring on the strap between the two sides to keep the steps from sliding easily down the strap and clanking into one another.

normal_Platform_4_%28Medium%29.jpg

I used a ratchet strap to mount them to a pine tree to test them out. I probably won't use as many steps while hunting but I had 8 or so, so I thought I'd try them all out on the same strap.

normal_Platform_0_%28Medium%29.jpg

With the additional steps attached, it gives me the option of standing on one step per side or two. Them's some great looking legs, eh?

Platform_%28Medium%29.jpg

Platform_9_%28Medium%29.jpg

Oh, another thing, when I was removing it from the tree, I found that the steps bite into the tree pretty good and the ones that I stood on were gripping on to the tree. I don't know if that's a good thing or not but I thought I'd mention it.

normal_Platform_12_crdownload_%28Medium%29.jpg

The nice thing is, they are fairly stack-able and even with 8 of the steps on the strap, it will fit in a pouch that will fit nicely on the saddle.

Tree_Platform_Small.jpg

To eliminate noise while handling, I'll probably cover the outside of the steps with Gorilla tape. Anyway, I thought I'd post this and maybe it will give others some ideas and offer a cheap and easy way to create a platform. If it will hold me, I'm pushing 250 lbs., :roll: it should hold anyone. ;)

Neat. But they look sharp. Don't slip.
When you side load them it looks like your boot could easily slip especially when moisture would be involved

Be careful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokinya1 said:
Nice creative idea.......how much do they weigh?

Each step weighs about 9 oz. w/o the strap.

Regarding the sharpness of the steps, yeah, if you fell on them they'd hurt you but I don't know if they'd hurt you any more than the steps on climbing sticks or screw in steps. The advantage with the saddle is the opportunity to fall should be minimized because you are tethered to the tree all the time. I designed the steps have a slight inward tilt to minimize the possibility of slippage.

Platform_1_%28Medium%29.jpg

If there is a concern with slippage, traction tread tape could be applied to the edges. Keep in mind this step may evolve somewhat to get it dialed in and only time will dictate that. I would however hunt with them just the way they are now.

Nice job. My other concern would be sharpness and web strap on edges - if your web strap gets a cut/slice started in might fail easily - just be careful and keep that tree tether tight

DaveT1963 said:
Nice job. My other concern would be sharpness and web strap on edges - if your web strap gets a cut/slice started in might fail easily
x2. Good idea but I worry about the strap getting cut the most. I agree that falling on these or falling on screw in steps won't be pleasant either way.

Great idea! What are the dimensions when is it flat? So we can try to recreate this. Thank you!

nature tamer said:
Great idea! What are the dimensions when is it flat? So we can try to recreate this. Thank you!

They measure 7-5/8" x 6-7/8". If you draw a straight line from point to point both vertically and horizontally forming a cross, the intersection of the lines will be 2" down from the top of the step. Does that make sense? The slots are set 1" in and 1" down. Deburr the slots really good.

Post pictures of yours if you do some variation on it. I'd like to see what you come up with.

ricky racer said:
nature tamer said:

They measure 7-5/8" x 6-7/8". If you draw a straight line from point to point both vertically and horizontally forming a cross, the intersection of the lines will be 2" down from the top of the step. Does that make sense? The slots are set 1" in and 1" down. Deburr the slots really good.

Post pictures of yours if you do some variation on it. I'd like to see what you come up with.

Yes it does. Thank you i am going to experiment today. I will post what i come up with.

Back