• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope Recommendations

ricky racer

I'd like to play around with a rope style teather and possibly a rope style bridge. What rope do you suggest and where can I find it? Rope diameter and tinsle strength?

Think the latest trend on here is 3/8" ultra-tech from sampson ropes. Several company's sell it.

I still prefer my original 11mm rope with a Ropeman 1 for my tether. Only because I prefer how the rope keeps the Roepman1 quiet even when I put slack in it to move it. The Kongduck, because it has a totally separate place for the carbineer to attach allows metallic clicking whenever there is any slack in your tether. Not a big deal but man I would hate to have it click at the wrong moment - I am a silence freak when it comes to my equipment. I do have a tether set up with the Sampson Ultratech rope - but at this point, until I find a way to silence the duck - I am going back to my 11mm set up.

I still prefer my original 11mm rope with a Ropeman 1 for my tether. Only because I prefer how the rope keeps the Roepman1 quiet even when I put slack in it to move it. The Kongduck, because it has a totally separate place for the carbineer to attach allows metallic clicking whenever there is any slack in your tether. Not a big deal but man I would hate to have it click at the wrong moment - I am a silence freak when it comes to my equipment. I do have a tether set up with the Sampson Ultratech rope - but at this point, until I find a way to silence the duck - I am going back to my 11mm set up.

Interesting difference in how we hunt Dave! I can see that being a concern for you since you are using the platform and you may end up having slack in your tether while you move around. Since I'm on steps, I never have slack in my tether, and I've never had it click while in the tree. I am very careful when I take it out and put it away to avoid this then, but other than that, its not a problem for me. I love how the ropeman takes away that concern, I just wish it was rated for smaller rope. I still use the ropeman for my linemans belt for the exact reason you stated for your tether.

Any 9mm-11mm rope should work for you. Assault line is a great start. I also used the Muddy rope as a lineman belt for a while. No reason it wouldn't work for tether or bridge.

The rope that new tribe sells is better than assault line. Holds knots nicer and stays on the tree better. I used assault line for a while. It wants to slide down the tree when you release tension.

I like my assault line, but its kinda stiff. Im thinking about switching it only for that reason(more pliable rope packs smaller). Also it doesnt appear to be easy to splice, so your stuck with BIG figure 8 knots on each end. I think its over kill for a lineman belt, but that said its stiffness might make it a joy to use in that application. Im currently using a smaller than suggested diameter rope for my lineman/ropeman 1 set up, but am not questioning that. Ive hung solely from it and felt safe, no slip. That being said there is no telling whats happening to the core when all my weight is being applied to one area via that ropeman 1. Also if I did slip while climbing, would the shock be enough to sever that smaller rope? Since Im getting no slip using it, my suspicion is that is the main reason for them suggesting the larger rope.

I'd like to play around with a rope style teather and possibly a rope style bridge. What rope do you suggest and where can I find it? Rope diameter and tinsle strength?

Can't go wrong with 11 mm Yale bandit. They have it on treestuff.com. They are a great site.

Assault line will hold up better than Yale bandit when using an ascender even a firmly loaded prussic

I really like assault line for my linemans belt

Assault line will hold up better than Yale bandit when using an ascender even a firmly loaded prussic

I really like assault line for my linemans belt

Just tried my assault as a lineman, but didnt leave the ground. Seems to work well and at some point I have to worry more about function and safety than compact and transporting. :) I checked my previous lineman belt when I removed the ropeman 1, scary flat spot where it was loaded last. :eek:

Hi All

I thought I got a good deal on some rope to attach my climbing sticks. Now I am second guessing as it says 120 lb working load and 1200 lb test. It is 3/8 inch and made of polypropylene. Wondering if this is safe to use as I am 185 lbs plus gear.

You'll wind up killing yourself with that cheap stuff. Do yourself a favor and buy climb rated ropes and gear from reputable businesses and stay away from Amazon and big box stores. Remember your life is literally on the line.

Last edited:
No, it
Hi All

I thought I got a good deal on some rope to attach my climbing sticks. Now I am second guessing as it says 120 lb working load and 1200 lb test. It is 3/8 inch and made of polypropylene. Wondering if this is safe to use as I am 185 lbs plus gear.
No!! It is not safe to use for any type of climbing.

You'll wind up killing yourself with that cheap stuff. Do yourself a favor and buy climb rated ropes and gear from reputable businesses and stay away from Amazon and bug box stores. Remember your life is literally on the line.
This^^^ I started with cheap Amazon 11mm and some 9mm too. I hung from them both, rappelled a few times too. After FINALLY listening to the folks on here, I got canyon elite from EWO! This is a budget friendly, all around can’t go wrong for any app rope! Once you tie a knot with it, or just hold it in your hands, you will feel and see the quality of a true climbing rated rope……and never look back on cheap ropes! I currently use resctech, but if I separate tether, I use the elite.

BTW-inspect your ropes! After switching out my ropes to the Canyon elite , I inspected that 9 mm rope from Amazon and it was absolutely compromised!! There were flat spots I’ve never seen coming ! Even with the elite and the resctech, I will inspect or feel it every time I wrap it up. I also flip ends after several uses, and I just cut off 3-4’ of my current rope since it’s already been flipped.

It’s pretty easy to trust these cheap ropes at 15-20’. But Seriously ask yourself this question. Would you trust the same rope at 100’? Imagine it, it may as well be the same cause both are gonna kill you if you fall! Or worse!

am I trying to scare the bejeezes out of you?Maybe

Hi All

Never take the chance. Get some Amsteel rope mods, etc. Plenty of options to buy from reputable people. Use rated climbing ropes and don't compromise when it comes to safety.

Glad you asked before buying. With the recent tragedy it should be all of our goal to keep each other as safe as possible.

This^^^ I started with cheap Amazon 11mm and some 9mm too. I hung from them both, rappelled a few times too. After FINALLY listening to the folks on here, I got canyon elite from EWO! This is a budget friendly, all around can’t go wrong for any app rope! Once you tie a knot with it, or just hold it in your hands, you will feel and see the quality of a true climbing rated rope……and never look back on cheap ropes! I currently use resctech, but if I separate tether, I use the elite.

BTW-inspect your ropes! After switching out my ropes to the Canyon elite , I inspected that 9 mm rope from Amazon and it was absolutely compromised!! There were flat spots I’ve never seen coming ! Even with the elite and the resctech, I will inspect or feel it every time I wrap it up. I also flip ends after several uses, and I just cut off 3-4’ of my current rope since it’s already been flipped.

It’s pretty easy to trust these cheap ropes at 15-20’. But Seriously ask yourself this question. Would you trust the same rope at 100’? Imagine it, it may as well be the same cause both are gonna kill you if you fall! Or worse!

am I trying to scare the bejeezes out of you?Maybe
Hahahaha. Objective achieved!

Scared the hell out of me as I thought about it. Amsteel arriving later today or tomorrow!

Back