• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle comparisons

Bowhunter41002

Last couple of weeks I’ve hunted out of a tethrd mantis. I had back recliner,adjustable straps and 2 pouches on the back of it. That thing beat me up!!! I was miserable in it. I just couldn’t get comfortable. This week I am hunting out of a kestrel (not flex) no back rest and no adjustable straps. Man what a Duffy. This thing is comfortable!!!!

Last couple of weeks I’ve hunted out of a tethrd mantis. I had back recliner,adjustable straps and 2 pouches on the back of it. That thing beat me up!!! I was miserable in it. I just couldn’t get comfortable. This week I am hunting out of a kestrel (not flex) no back rest and no adjustable straps. Man what a Duffy. This thing is comfortable!!!!

I was much more comfortable in the kestrel as well

How comfortable were you walking in with the Kestrel? or did you put it on at the tree? My flex is the most comfortable.

How comfortable were you walking in with the Kestrel? or did you put it on at the tree? My flex is the most comfortable.

I had no problem. I liked it more than the mantis walking in because of the weight / pressure distribution on the 2 inch webbing vs the 1 inch.

I know people also say they have issues walking with a saddle on and I never have with any of them. I always wear mine to the tree
x2 though my experiences are with G-web, mantis & kestrel-flex... had heard people required suspenders with the kestrel and that's why I asked.

@DaveT1963 will be around, here he is demonstrating the proper Mantis fitment:

Screenshot_20190923-162741_Chrome.jpg

Haha in good fun. My experience was the Mantis and Kite were really dang close but the Kite was just a little more comfortable. Flex seems better than both but I need longer hunts to make the final determination. Would love to try a mesh flex which as I understand is a yarak. I like a saddle with a good deep seat. It's great to have options; when I first seriously looked into saddle hunting it was Evo, Evo, or Evo.

View attachment 17076

Haha in good fun. My experience was the Mantis and Kite were really dang close but the Kite was just a little more comfortable. Flex seems better than both but I need longer hunts to make the final determination. Would love to try a mesh flex which as I understand is a yarak. I like a saddle with a good deep seat. It's great to have options; when I first seriously looked into saddle hunting it was Evo, Evo, or Evo.

I dont know how you stalkers are getting pics of me w/o my consent or knowledge, sneaky bast***s. :)

View attachment 17076

He HAD a "secret"...not anymore, though.

I've only used the kestrel so I don't really have anything to compare to but I've been happy with it. I'd like to try the Jx3 but I know it's not really a saddle as much as a thing-a-ma-jig, but would like to still try it.

17 post and not one person likes the Mantis?
The Kestrel size 1 had me begging for death after the 2nd hour in the tree. I’m 2 years in to the kestrel size 2 and my sitdrag gets the nod most of the time. I forced myself to use it exclusively for 1 year and still ended up in the sitdrag! Lol. The second year it grew on me a little bit but only after I put like a 30” bridge on it (thanks @swampsnyper !)
I sat in the Mantis XL and knew right away it was too big. I would like to try an large or Med.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back