• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunting in COLD weather

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
I've been hunting out of the Kestrel all year, and recently it's been pretty cold. How cold? Yesterday I was able to walk across the ice to get to my tree location. Wind chills were in the single digits, and we have a little bit of snow on the ground. Here's what I've been finding so far:

1) I like a simpler climbing method. I'm carrying extra clothing regardless, so what's an extra stick or couple WildEdge steps going to hurt? When it's cold like this, I get really cautious about every move. Falling on frozen ground is like falling on concrete, and even just slipping with a lineman's belt can hurt like heck. I've swapped out all of my 2 step aiders with 1 step aiders except for one. Yesterday I went about 25+ feet using a stick with double aider, then two sticks with a single aider, then 4 wild edge steps, then the platform. I went from less stability to more stability the further up I went.

2) Forget about one trip up the tree. I've found myself to be much more comfortable taking extra time and being slow and deliberate. Why? Noise carries so much further. Sweat can be a killer. And, there just gets to be too much going on with all of the extra layers. So, when I get to the base of the tree, I dump all of my stuff on the ground. Walking in I'm just wearing base layers and a shell. All of my insulating layers (including heavy bibs) are packed in. I spread everything out on the ground, then hang my sticks and platform as usual, along with the tether and accessory strap. Next, I climb back down, take a moment to ensure I'm not going to sweat, and take the saddle off. Then I dress up and put the saddle back on over my bibs. Lastly, I climb up the tree, hook in, and pull my weapon up.

3) I don't need knee pads as badly with the extra insulation. Also, I can't even tell I'm wearing the saddle because there's so much padding. Very comfy. The insulation on your but gets compressed, so if you're under dressed, your butt will feel cold. But if you have enough insulation, it's not an issue.

I was curious about that. I've set up sticks wearing my Bibs and such, and it was pretty interesting the change in flexibility. Talk about Michelin Man!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I guess I'm a little more daring. I do out in one trip up the tree. I use my spurs to climb up and set my platform. Climb on the platform, Then I pull my gear up one at a time with a Grapple hook. My heavy layers are strapped to my pack. Once my bow is hanging and my pack is set up, I start to cool down. Then I put my extra layers on while in the tree.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A little off topic;
I'm assuming the op is a size 1...? Is your saddle fitting well with the extra layering...??

When it gets really cold out, I use a 40 foot section of rope and a Petzl Grigri2 or a Petzl Rig just in case my hands are too cold to function properly for climbing down, i can always descend straight to the ground and not be stuck in the tree!

This is a GREAT post. I have been going through some similar thoughts. Yesterday was our first good cold day of the year. It is like opening day all over again trying to redevelop your system to account for all of the extra gear. Things definitely get harder the colder it gets. More gear, cold fingers, less flexibility. @bowhunter15 you are spot on. When you take all of these extra factors into play it is important to make sure you adapt your system to the cold weather to stay safe!

Agreed, really great post. I layer up quite a bit but have yet to saddle hunt with with my heaviest gear. Bibs and heavy coat, etc. Thinking back to just climbing into a ladder stand with all that it was more difficult. Time to give it a test climb and just hang for a bit to see how the saddle feels with the added clothing.

The verdict is still out on whether or not my sitka gear is worth the money - i need a handful of years of use to call it so...But the heavy bibs that unzip all the way to the hip are a necessity in my mind for cold weather hang and hunts. On my recent trip, i used 4-6 jim stepps and aiders to get 20-30', and I climbed with my bibs on and unzipped. Do they get in the way being undone? A little. Does it force you to take smaller, slower strides? Yes. But I do those things anyway in an attempt to be safe and quiet.

I say all that to say I highly recommend a set of bibs or coveralls that zip to the hip, and account for a few layers and your wind blocker for temps below 35* or so. I think i'm going to add some snaps on mine so i can sort of roll them up and snap so they stay away from my boots and steps.

The verdict is still out on whether or not my sitka gear is worth the money - i need a handful of years of use to call it so...But the heavy bibs that unzip all the way to the hip are a necessity in my mind for cold weather hang and hunts. On my recent trip, i used 4-6 jim stepps and aiders to get 20-30', and I climbed with my bibs on and unzipped. Do they get in the way being undone? A little. Does it force you to take smaller, slower strides? Yes. But I do those things anyway in an attempt to be safe and quiet.

I say all that to say I highly recommend a set of bibs or coveralls that zip to the hip, and account for a few layers and your wind blocker for temps below 35* or so. I think i'm going to add some snaps on mine so i can sort of roll them up and snap so they stay away from my boots and steps.

I bought the first lite equivalent this year and really love them. They can unzip all the way around your ass if you need to answer nature! I sat a full day in steady rain and was totally dry. I just wish they were more quiet. The waterproof fabric is noisy. It does force me to slow down my movements though which is better anyway I guess. Good gear is great!

Back