• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunting Requirements in the 'Sip

Crawdaddy4

SH Member
Thought this was interesting. I live in Louisiana, where neither our State or Federal Regs mention ANYTHING about saddle hunting. However, our neighboring state of Mississippi have regulations that would pertain to saddle hunters. Makes me curious if there will ever be a requirement for TSMA saddles??

"While climbing a tree, installing a stand that uses climbing aids, or while hunting from a tree stand, hunters must use a fall arrest system that is manufactured to Tree Stand Manufacturers Association Standards. Tree saddle users must remain connected to the tree at all times by means of a lineman’s belt or a tether."

Do any other states specifically mention saddle hunters in their regs?

In true "Live Free or Die" fashion, New Hampshire does not require that adults wear seat belts, adults wear helmets on motorcycles* or that anyone wears hunter safety orange* so I doubt the government will be telling us how to climb a tree. *All are recommended as common sense would dictate.

Last edited:
In true "Live Free or Die" fashion, New Hampshire does not require that adults wear seat belts, adults wear helmets on motorcycles* or wear hunter safety orange* so I doubt the government will be telling us how to climb a tree. *All are recommended
New Hampshire sounds like Ron Swanson's dream state.

The only instruction given in Ohio's Regs are about wearing Hunter Orange, during any of the deer hunting firearms seasons. This seems to be their only concern as far as safety, while hunting. :rolleyes:
No permanent structures built on public grounds and nothing allowed that gets screwed into a tree, like steps, gear holding devices, etc.

People in general do not regulate themselves and end up getting regulated by the State, after too many repeat accidents. o_O
Such was the case from many years ago, here in Ohio. All long arms used for deer hunting had to be restricted to only hold 3 rounds. This was a result of hunters shooting hunters. Handguns weren't part of this restriction, because there were no accidents involving handguns.

I can see safety harness regulations becoming part of all states' regulations....and I wouldn't complain. :) There are far too many people getting hurt, injured or killed each year, due to falls from tree climbing. :(

The only instruction given in Ohio's Regs are about wearing Hunter Orange, during any of the deer hunting firearms seasons. This seems to be their only concern as far as safety, while hunting. :rolleyes:
No permanent structures built on public grounds and nothing allowed that gets screwed into a tree, like steps, gear holding devices, etc.

People in general do not regulate themselves and end up getting regulated by the State, after too many repeat accidents. o_O
Such was the case from many years ago, here in Ohio. All long arms used for deer hunting had to be restricted to only hold 3 rounds. This was a result of hunters shooting hunters. Handguns weren't part of this restriction, because there were no accidents involving handguns.

I can see safety harness regulations becoming part of all states' regulations....and I wouldn't complain. :) There are far too many people getting hurt, injured or killed each year, due to falls from tree climbing. :(

I personally think the govt making laws to prevent self injury are bs. Helmets, seat belts, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like lots of things these days, we do have a little problem with people that move here and want to take a good thing too far.

or fed boys installed to change public opinion about the dangers of said good thing

I personally think the govt making laws to prevent self injury are bs. Helmets, seat belts, etc.

Nature has a way of working these things out without laws, and humanity winds up better for it over time.

I've personally seen the aftermath of ignoring those rules more times than I can count, and disagree. But that's not the point of this thread. MD doesn't mention saddle hunters in regs specifically.

Nothing in Iowa regs I find now. Pretty hunter friendly state overall with the obvious giant downfall of not having much public ground to hunt.

We also have laws like you can't take you mule to town on Sundays so understand you should not necessarily take a statute on face value as holy writ. I think the spirit of it is you have to be tethered or roped in at height. They must have gotten tired of hearing Bubba bounce.

Back