• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scent Lok Longevity

bigjoe

How Long do ScentLok products last. I am talking about the active carbon. I am not talking about the every 4th or 5th hunt washing and reactivation, but how many years is the product good for? I have read they are good for 50 washes. Just curious if it is time to spend $$. I have some sets that are 5-6 years old.

I read one article that said to donate them to a neighborhood kid after several years.

Thanks,

Joe

opinions vary, but any useful amount of carbon in those clothes is probably washed out by now

If you want some new clothes spend the cash
if you like what ya have, you can do some diy carbon with $15 bucks of coconut carbon on amazon (enough for 3 seasons)

I have $700.00 in the cart at ScentLok right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to to buy the ozone generator and tubs Red and others recommended. I guess I just need to replace the suits every year or two

I bought two sets of savannah gear cut it back a few $100

How Long do ScentLok products last. I am talking about the active carbon. I am not talking about the every 4th or 5th hunt washing and reactivation, but how many years is the product good for? I have read they are good for 50 washes. Just curious if it is time to spend $$. I have some sets that are 5-6 years old.

I read one article that said to donate them to a neighborhood kid after several years.

Thanks,

Joe
I have two sets of full suits that you wear under your hunting clothes . I wash them at the beginning of the season and at the end and activate them during the season maybe 4 times . Never been winded . I also do a strict regiment of sent control with ozone generators for my vehicle and my clothes storage bins.

According to John Eberhart the useful shelf life for hunting purposes for scentlok garments is 7-8 years with recommend reactivation every 40hrs of field use. Washing them frequently will reduce the effective life because you will 'wash out' the carbon in the garments, though I cannot say with any certainty how much the shelf life or effectiveness would be reduced by frequent washings. That is why they only advise washing when 'muddy or bloody'.

Well hopefully my mid season gear is still good. I only bought early season. Temperatures in the 70-85 normally for the first few weeks of October

I wear light early season stuff all season. I wash it frequently throughout the early season because it does get soaked with sweat. I replace it after 2 seasons. I found after that it seems to start to lose its effectiveness, probably because I'm washing it more than recommended. I buy the stuff in the offseason when it goes on big sales so it doesn't hurt too much to replace it so often.

When they recommend regenerating sentlok clothes in a dryer, must the dryer be sent free ?

They have some decent close outs right now. I also wash mine more than I probably should. Maybe on my next set I will dry them more and wash less. That said after two seasons the garment itself has held up well.

I have 3 sets of savannah's ! Ive had1 for 3 years haven't washed them yet. I wear a Bug Tamer in the early season just to hot here for scent- lok in 90 degrees. I remove as soon as I get to truck and store in separate bag from other sets. I reactivate in dryer after a few hunts.

I use sportwash on everything I wear. I haven’t replaced any scentlok gear in years. Hunted last night in my winters and had two deer come in downwind. Was it the scentlok? The sportwash? My shower before? Likely a combo of all things but I can assure us all that deer smell us no matter what if the right wind carries human stink scent up to that amazing olfactory gland!!!

Back