• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Setting up for cruising bucks

I have a couple other videos on this set up. Found some really large tracks (For TX anyways) and got a pic of a buck that made it through last season (Feb pic) that should be a good one this year. Just can't figure out how to post pics anymore.

I have a couple other videos on this set up. Found some really large tracks (For TX anyways) and got a pic of a buck that made it through last season (Feb pic) that should be a good one this year. Just can't figure out how to post pics anymore.

Hopefully you'll get a good kill shot and be able to splice it with the scouting into one video. I feel like those are the best way for new guys to learn if they can't be there for hands on. Thanks for posting this stuff, keeps me thinking/excited for the season.

Hopefully you'll get a good kill shot and be able to splice it with the scouting into one video. I feel like those are the best way for new guys to learn if they can't be there for hands on. Thanks for posting this stuff, keeps me thinking/excited for the season.

I am not set up to film my hunts. I thought about it a few times but just have not pulled the plug on the gear - and carrying all that gear in with me.

Wish someone would come out with a phone holder that attached to tree - that would allow for cheap filming of hunts without all the extra gear to set up.

Wish someone would come out with a phone holder that attached to tree - that would allow for cheap filming of hunts without all the extra gear to set up.

What are you trying to do? use it like an arm? or just have it in selfie mode?

I would like to be able to use my phone to point at deer and capture the kill shot.

the problem with the phone is the zoom...same as a GoPro. The viewer can't see anything once you're 20 feet up and the deer is 20 yards away. The field of view is too wide. You really need a camera with a zoom.

I would like to be able to use my phone to point at deer and capture the kill shot.

You can get a cell phone clamp that goes onto a tripod mount, and then put it on a short trail cam mount or full on camera arm. A lens kit might be necessary for zoom. None of this would give you epic footage, but light and easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Unive...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K65JGZB01KH7YCFPZZ85

https://www.amazon.com/HME-Products...id=1530886560&sr=8-4&keywords=trail+cam+mount

https://www.amazon.com/Muddy-MCA100...id=1530886046&sr=8-6&keywords=tree+camera+arm

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Te...F8&qid=1530886446&sr=8-5&keywords=phone+lense

the problem with the phone is the zoom...same as a GoPro. The viewer can't see anything once you're 20 feet up and the deer is 20 yards away. The field of view is too wide. You really need a camera with a zoom.
Agreed. Even if you crop 4k down to "zoom to" 1080 it isn't that great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

G2 - my Samsung actually zooms in pretty good but I am sure it doesn't compare to the cameras.

I already carry my smart phone so using it I could at east capture some hunting footage for those that need to see a kill for follow up to scouting videos? thinking through the options - might just go with a tripod adapter to hold phone and then use the carbon arm????

G2 - my Samsung actually zooms in pretty good but I am sure it doesn't compare to the cameras.

I already carry my smart phone so using it I could at east capture some hunting footage for those that need to see a kill for follow up to scouting videos? thinking through the options - might just go with a tripod adapter to hold phone and then use the carbon arm????

Dave, that is digital zoom. To get that zoom your are stealing resolution and cropping.

Optical zoom on the other hand retains all your digital resolution. Most phones are limited to 2x optical. This is small in comparison to cameras.

Your point is still valid. You carry less when you just have your phone but there are trade offs.

You may want to consider a cheap handy cam as well. These fit in your pocket. Video is OK. Audio isn't great but it works. Lots of guys go this route. Dan Infalt comes to mind.

LOLOLOLOL! @BassBoysLLP we got him!

giphy.gif

BTW - my shots are usually 15 yards from tree and I film other deer walking by... true it is not TV worthy but I can get them relatively close. So if I go camera I guess sony is the way to go?

Back