• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shall we talk shotguns?

Bowtie747

SH Member
Alright guys, I’m pathetic. I pretty much think about something until my brain hurts and then I post about it on here. So let’s talk shotguns. I’m in the market for a new shotgun and I can’t for the life of me make my mind up. So give me info on your shot gun. Post pics of your favorite or whatever you prefer.

PS I have a little soft spot for higher end shotguns. Citoris, Silver Pigoens, Super Black eagles, A-400’s, a-5’s.

Alright guys, I’m pathetic. I pretty much think about something until my brain hurts and then I post about it on here. So let’s talk shotguns. I’m in the market for a new shotgun and I can’t for the life of me make my mind up. So give me info on your shot gun. Post pics of your favorite or whatever you prefer.

PS I have a little soft spot for higher end shotguns. Citoris, Silver Pigoens, Super Black eagles, A-400’s, a-5’s.

I’ve got nothing useful to offer and am just here to admit I read clitoris and not Citoris so yeah my brains not exactly on shotguns lol. Best of luck on your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got nothing useful to offer and am just here to admit I read clitoris and not Citoris so yeah my brains not exactly on shotguns lol. Best of luck on your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s hilarious that was something to offer for sure!

I still love my Beretta 686 Onyx I bought 30 years ago when I didn't have the income to match my taste, lol. If your looking for an O/U you can't go wrong with a Beretta. My buddy has a Franchi and it's nice but it's not in the same league. It feels heavy and bulky compared to my gun.
If it's an autoloader you're after go for a Benelli. I've got a Sport which is so light and handles amazing and an M2 because it's badass looking and a blast to sling lead with reckless abandon.

I also have a soft spot for fancy High end shot guns but I must say that I’ve never been able to bite the bullet and take them in the woods clearly it’s hard to beat an Remington 870 to beat through the brush but if you want high end quality at a mid level price And you’re looking for an automatic I’d go with stoeger every
Single time. I was weary on them for a while then all my buddies started getting them and once I saw them in action I was impressed enough to bite and I haven’t been let down yet

I really enjoy the 16 gauge but my prized possessions (although not very high in worldly value) are my 12ga. 870 Magnum I got for my 16th birthday and my 12ga 1187 I got from my dad for graduating from college. I will never sell them, and they've killed quite a few deer and turkeys. Next is my 16 Browning BPS Upland, and then my Belgium Made 16ga. A5. I also have the 24" blued buck barrel for this A5. What a sweet package for deer hunting. I also have a 1100 in 20ga. with the matching deer barrel. That thing is mint and along with my BPS Upland are basically closet queens. I know these are nothing high end but to me they are!! Would love a Sweet 16 but sheesh! They're easy going for $1500-2000 and that was when I was seriously looking into them so I'm sure they're up even more now.

It sort of depends on what you primarily want to use the shotgun for. Upland birds? Turkey? Deer? Trap, Skeet, cow pies? (lol). I would start with gauge first. 12 will be the easiest and cheapest to feed. 20 gauge will come a close second. 16 gauge is a true sweetheart (my favorite) but can be hard to get shells. From there it gets tougher with 28, and 410 bore. Once you decide on that, now you need to think about what type of shotgun.

Single shot, double barrel (Side by side or over under), pump action or autoloader?

Once all that is decided, if you really want to take out a second mortgage or two here is a good place to look.

Steve Barnett Fine Guns | High-End Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, and Revolvers For Sale

Last edited:
Fabarm L4S series about had me a couple years ago, but prices have climbed since then.

The A5 is still a nice gun, but different than the og.

Otherwise, used market for an older gun makes sense to me.

My buddy bought a newer A5 and had nothing but firing issues with it. My dad has a Belgium Light A5. Very nice gun

I say go with your initial desire. The SBE 3 are nice guns for all purpose or even the M2

You looking for a 12,16,20?

My buddy bought a newer A5 and had nothing but firing issues with it. My dad has a Belgium Light A5. Very nice gun

I say go with your initial desire. The SBE 3 are nice guns for all purpose or even the M2

You looking for a 12,16,20?

Belgium A5s in good shape are hard to come by and/or often a bit too expensive. Great gun though and rarely a disappointment.

My cousin has one and also the newer style (different gauges I believe) and hasn’t had problems with the new model. He likes it over Benelli right now.

The Benelli design I really like is the A4 action. But it’s not built for practical hunting use.

In inertia actions, I like Retay’s design and went that route for my Turkey gun. Can’t say how the fit and finish compare in equivalent lines from the Italians, but the action design in theory is superior.

You didn’t mention your use case. For sports I’d say a benelli supernova or super black Eagle. For defense I’d say either a benelli m4 or a remy 870. You could even use an 870 for sporting as they’re super versatile, parts grow on trees and they’re basically legos and can be reconfigured for just about any mission, but a Benelli is more designed for sporting

The problem is i like having a shotgun for a specific intended purpose. One for turkeys, clays, waterfowl. I think part of my problem is I don’t know what I want first. Part of me wants a nice Clay gun but also part of me wants a waterfowl gun lol

This thread has already been tons of fun to read and I appreciate all the replies!

Also I’m torn between 12 and 20. I know basically it boils down to how much shot I want to shoot at something. Would like less recoil but some of these newer 12’s have so much recoil reduction tech that they r sweet. But I haven’t shot a newer 20 to feel the difference

Now to those who mentioned odd gauges I want a 16, and 28 gauge so bad I cannot stand it. Have a hard time buying one when i need a more purpose built gun first

I got my youth edition reminngton 870 20 guage on my 10th bday and ive never even thought of another it shoots up to 3 1/2 high brass and ive shot everything from rabbits, squirrels and turkeys to hogs and deer with it. I dnt like semi shotguns, and the 870 is the best one ever made. My dad still shoots his he got in highschool. Theres no other weapon ive ever owned military or otherwise that has seen more rounds through it than this shotgun and it still chirps like its new. Sad thing is i dnt think they make them anymore. Hopefully mine never breaks bc no other shotgun does me any justice.

Last edited:
The problem is i like having a shotgun for a specific intended purpose. One for turkeys, clays, waterfowl. I think part of my problem is I don’t know what I want first. Part of me wants a nice Clay gun but also part of me wants a waterfowl gun lol

This thread has already been tons of fun to read and I appreciate all the replies!
For clays, Browning XT over/under. For waterfowl, Berretta A391 Extrema, for turkey, Remington 870 custom with Vortex Venom red dot and thumbhole stock. For deer, Savage 220

Seems like an over/under could fill both roles nicely. I've got a buddy whose a waterfowl junkie and swears he hits and kills more birds with an over/under because he slows down and makes better shots because he doesn't have the third one available to him. He's also using heavier than lead shot with no doubt helps his average, but he shoots fewer shots per outing and brings home more birds that way.

Also I’m torn between 12 and 20. I know basically it boils down to how much shot I want to shoot at something. Would like less recoil but some of these newer 12’s have so much recoil reduction tech that they r sweet. But I haven’t shot a newer 20 to feel the difference

Now to those who mentioned odd gauges I want a 16, and 28 gauge so bad I cannot stand it. Have a hard time buying one when i need a more purpose built gun first
Get a 16 and a MEC reloader and you'll have all the ammo you need. I'm always pushing the 16 to me it's the best of the 12 and the 20!! But that is my inherent bias.

In all seriousness, the Miroku Brownings are very nice guns.

Back