• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sharps' Folly or The Value of Kifaru

4090Sharps

SH Member
TL;DR
This is a DIY post, not a review, but the two takeaways from this post are
  1. Kifaru packs are probably 100% worth the money spent for the overwhelming majority of people who want to own one, and the folks designing gear there have some great minds for 3D design.
  2. If you're DIY inclined, you should rip up your expensive backpack to learn from it.

The Problem
Up front, it can be said that I'm a bit ambitious and overzealous in the pursuit of my hobbies. After leaving MD for AZ this year, I found myself in need of a new hunting pack. The Stryker I made for myself is too small (I don't like the weight distribution of the "add a camp bag" option"), so the logical solution was to make or use another pack on my DIY Kifaru Duplex Lite frame. I happened to have a Marine FILBE bag sitting unused, so I modified it to connect to the frame like a proper Kifaru pack. It worked alright, but the bag lacked organization and the lid was less than ideal. Not only do I HATE the idea of a lid that is free on the bottom and sewn on the top (throwing shade at the MR Pop Up 38 right now), but the zipper to access the lid is on the bottom. It's awkward, at best. Still, it served me well on some mountain hunts, but really sucked for day hunts with the lack of organization. Plus, it's sort of heavy with a ton of 55301 webbing and 1000D Cordura construction.

Between wife, kids, career, and hunting, sewing time is limited, so I figured I wouldn't spin my wheels trying to design and build a complex pack based on my ideal uses. That takes a lot of time for me as 3D design isn't my strongest suit (remember that point) and as a result, I often have to make multiple failing prototypes when figuring out how to make something. You may be thinking to yourself, "Why not just buy a Kifaru bag to mount to your existing frame?" That would be the next logical answer. But what if I could learn about a new frame and learn exactly how Kifaru makes that cool horseshoe zipper and lid? That would be cool.

1671508069671.png

IMG_4075.jpg

Pic from the same trip, just because.
IMG_4059.jpg

Solution: Kifaru 357 Mag
So, yeah, I bought a Kifaru 357 Mag. Study it, learn from it, and use it. Easy day, right? Well, that wouldn't be much of a DIY story. I said I wasn't great at 3D design, and the 357 design perplexed me, especially the lid. It really wasn't clear how everything went together (maybe I'm dense). So the path was clear to me--I should tear the entire thing apart, stitch by stitch, and learn as much as I can, straight from the masters, then create a pattern and make another one. That's what I did.
68738835737__824710D3-7C17-46C2-8DED-8F78E405ECB4.jpg

Kifaru's Value
Besides some cool, almost origami-like techniques to use in making bags, I learned a fair bit about how Kifaru makes bags. It's obvious when you pick one up just how robust they are, but consider this--almost every single seam is triple stitched, and fabric is doubled up in higher stress areas. From those seams I've ripped on other packs, to include Mystery Ranch, the default is generally two lines of stitching. Beyond the robustness, this bag took me a number of hours to stitch back together as a hobbyist.

Lest you think I'm one of those toxic Kifaru fanatics, I assure you they annoy me as well, as does Aron Snyder's general attitude--I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt though and assume that what comes off as whininess is really just defensiveness for and a sense of responsibility to the employees (America!) and the brand/company as an entity.

For those interested in learning how the lid goes together, here are two key pictures that show how the bottom for the main top lid pocket is actually part of its sides as well.
IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

The Bag
Here's my mostly finished product. I didn't take many construction pics, but can post some of those if anyone is interested. I'm still using Kifaru stays until I bend the aluminum in my garage to fit my back, and I need to make my own shoulder straps and belt. My initial intent was to stretch the pattern to make a 26" frame while adding some extra volume, but realized that might require a frame sheet and horizontal stay to maintain good handling characteristics. I've also been hunting brushier areas lately, so that idea is going back on the shelf for now.

You'll see I added a stretchy pocket to the front in lieu of most rows of webbing, and added a G-hook to secure any overflow. The pocket is made from a beige Tweave fabric I bought off of eBay a while back and dyed with Rit. For those interested in purchasing Tweave or a similar fabric, I know Whiskey Two Four stocks it and SAM1. I think I read SAM1 has more stretchiness, but the price was right on the eBay Tweave at $10/yd (haven't seen it since, should have bought more).

This was really a fun experience, and I would recommend the same for anyone crazy/adventurous enough to demolish a perfectly good pack. I had planned to embark on a similar journey with my Kifaru Eastern Ruck (sweet pack), but never got around to it, and found the pack made a good loaner. As always, a big shoutout to @JCLINE84 for bouncing ideas back and forth with me.

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

TL;DR
This is a DIY post, not a review, but the two takeaways from this post are
  1. Kifaru packs are probably 100% worth the money spent for the overwhelming majority of people who want to own one, and the folks designing gear there have some great minds for 3D design.
  2. If you're DIY inclined, you should rip up your expensive backpack to learn from it.

The Problem
Up front, it can be said that I'm a bit ambitious and overzealous in the pursuit of my hobbies. After leaving MD for AZ this year, I found myself in need of a new hunting pack. The Stryker I made for myself is too small (I don't like the weight distribution of the "add a camp bag" option"), so the logical solution was to make or use another pack on my DIY Kifaru Duplex Lite frame. I happened to have a Marine FILBE bag sitting unused, so I modified it to connect to the frame like a proper Kifaru pack. It worked alright, but the bag lacked organization and the lid was less than ideal. Not only do I HATE the idea of a lid that is free on the bottom and sewn on the top (throwing shade at the MR Pop Up 38 right now), but the zipper to access the lid is on the bottom. It's awkward, at best. Still, it served me well on some mountain hunts, but really sucked for day hunts with the lack of organization. Plus, it's sort of heavy with a ton of 55301 webbing and 1000D Cordura construction.

Between wife, kids, career, and hunting, sewing time is limited, so I figured I wouldn't spin my wheels trying to design and build a complex pack based on my ideal uses. That takes a lot of time for me as 3D design isn't my strongest suit (remember that point) and as a result, I often have to make multiple failing prototypes when figuring out how to make something. You may be thinking to yourself, "Why not just buy a Kifaru bag to mount to your existing frame?" That would be the next logical answer. But what if I could learn about a new frame and learn exactly how Kifaru makes that cool horseshoe zipper and lid? That would be cool.

View attachment 78450

View attachment 78446

Pic from the same trip, just because.
View attachment 78447

Solution: Kifaru 357 Mag
So, yeah, I bought a Kifaru 357 Mag. Study it, learn from it, and use it. Easy day, right? Well, that wouldn't be much of a DIY story. I said I wasn't great at 3D design, and the 357 design perplexed me, especially the lid. It really wasn't clear how everything went together (maybe I'm dense). So the path was clear to me--I should tear the entire thing apart, stitch by stitch, and learn as much as I can, straight from the masters, then create a pattern and make another one. That's what I did.
View attachment 78444

Kifaru's Value
Besides some cool, almost origami-like techniques to use in making bags, I learned a fair bit about how Kifaru makes bags. It's obvious when you pick one up just how robust they are, but consider this--almost every single seam is triple stitched, and fabric is doubled up in higher stress areas. From those seams I've ripped on other packs, to include Mystery Ranch, the default is generally two lines of stitching. Beyond the robustness, this bag took me a number of hours to stitch back together as a hobbyist.

Lest you think I'm one of those toxic Kifaru fanatics, I assure you they annoy me as well, as does Aron Snyder's general attitude--I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt though and assume that what comes off as whininess is really just defensiveness for and a sense of responsibility to the employees (America!) and the brand/company as an entity.

For those interested in learning how the lid goes together, here are two key pictures that show how the bottom for the main top lid pocket is actually part of its sides as well.
View attachment 78451

View attachment 78452

The Bag
Here's my mostly finished product. I didn't take many construction pics, but can post some of those if anyone is interested. I'm still using Kifaru stays until I bend the aluminum in my garage to fit my back, and I need to make my own shoulder straps and belt. My initial intent was to stretch the pattern to make a 26" frame while adding some extra volume, but realized that might require a frame sheet and horizontal stay to maintain good handling characteristics. I've also been hunting brushier areas lately, so that idea is going back on the shelf for now.

You'll see I added a stretchy pocket to the front in lieu of most rows of webbing, and added a G-hook to secure any overflow. The pocket is made from a beige Tweave fabric I bought off of eBay a while back and dyed with Rit. For those interested in purchasing Tweave or a similar fabric, I know Whiskey Two Four stocks it and SAM1. I think I read SAM1 has more stretchiness, but the price was right on the eBay Tweave at $10/yd (haven't seen it since, should have bought more).

This was really a fun experience, and I would recommend the same for anyone crazy/adventurous enough to demolish a perfectly good pack. I had planned to embark on a similar journey with my Kifaru Eastern Ruck (sweet pack), but never got around to it, and found the pack made a good loaner. As always, a big shoutout to @JCLINE84 for bouncing ideas back and forth with me.

View attachment 78453

View attachment 78454

View attachment 78455

View attachment 78456

You are out of your mind and I love it. The skill it takes to reconstruct a kifaru at home is immense having done some fabrication myself. I could never come close to this outcome. If you sell it it will have to come with a rebuilt title

From reading your post. Beside the fact that you are insane and a talented seamstress, I see a market for your used Frankenstein packs you have laying around! You should make a listing of some of your other projects. I know its more effort/laws/insurance about selling the saddles that you made, but I would be in the market for something similar to the things you made for @GCTerpfan or the DIY Stryker. Hope you are enjoying that AZ life after abandoning the rest of your fellow saddle hunter in MD!

I hope you made patterns of everything lol. No better way to learn than doing. Cool stuff, thanks for sharing,

Takes some serious confidence but you deserve to have that confidence. If I took that pack apart, that's the way it would of stayed, sorta like my mom's 10 speed bike back when I was about 10 years old. :oops:

Last edited:
Pretty much every time someone comments on my skill with a sewing machine I am quick to say “I’ve got a friend that can build things that make me feel like an idiot in comparison”. And here you are again making me feel inadequate. That is the cleanest sewing job I’ve ever seen on a ridiculously complex project. Heck of a job

Pretty much every time someone comments on my skill with a sewing machine I am quick to say “I’ve got a friend that can build things that make me feel like an idiot in comparison”. And here you are again making me feel inadequate. That is the cleanest sewing job I’ve ever seen on a ridiculously complex project. Heck of a job

Thanks man. Nothing special though, I swear. It's just having the right equipment and taking it one seam at a time.

Awesome post, thanks for detailing out and sharing! What’s your sewing setup to do this kind of work?

Awesome post, thanks for detailing out and sharing! What’s your sewing setup to do this kind of work?

First, let me say this work could all be done on using far simple equipment. For example, with an old Singer 111W155 or similar compound feed machine (especially for the plastic sheet that holds the stays together), and a zig-zag machine like Singer 20U33 or one of those newer Singer HD machines for bartacks. Or skip the bartacks, triple stitch all those seams with a straight stitch and call it a day... I'm a sucker for a good bartack though.

I've seen some folks do impressive stuff with those older Singer 15's, so you might be able to use that for the little plastic sheet, and use it in place of the compound feed machine--the compound feed just makes life easier.

Compound feed machine (Juki 1541S)
IMG_4590.JPG

Compound feed cylinder head machine with synchronized binder (Yamata 335)
IMG_4592.JPG

Programmable pattern tacker set up for bartacking (Cedar Special 1965)
IMG_4597.jpg

Not too long after I finished my first 357 Mag copy, I noticed Kifaru's Kutthroat pack used a pretty much identical frame setup as the 357 Mag, but with 26" stays. So, I decided to give it a go, making a pair of the packs this time. One for myself and one for a friend who will be hunting with me in February. I thought that they'd go together quicker this time, but I found myself sewing a step on one bag and getting comfortable with that process, then letting that comfort lead me into a mistake as I carried out the same step on the second bag :sob:. The seam ripper saw some use this time around.

I'm in the home stretch (for the bag portion at least), and will probably finish these up tomorrow. Once the bags come together I'll upload some more pictures.

1673932737455.png

Back