• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Short Bridge and Carabiner

Boudreaux

Vendor Rep
I lean my head on my bridge a lot, its one of the reasons that I hunt with a long bridge. So this year I have hunted with some short bridges and I just cant get past the carabiner being in my face. When I rest my head on it, its uncomfortable and cold, not to mention I am always hitting the bill of my hat on it, So to those of you who hunt with short bridges does the carabiner not bother you?

Thanks,
Boswell

Boudreaux said:
So to those of you who hunt with short bridges does the carabiner not bother you?

Yes it's a pain, but it keeps me awake. I would like to set a longer bridge to see if it would eliminate some of the pinch but I rope ascend and it would put my figure 8 and climbing pusiks out of reach. I've been toying with using a adjustable bridge but I would have to switch my harness from rings to rigging paws. Otherwise I think using a blake's or something like that would not give me enough sliding bridge to pivot on.

Not directly answering your question, but using the 1" runner sling as a bridge is not comfortable to lay your head on. With the big 2" strap the TS had, it wasnt an issue.

Never been a problem for me as I use a three foot bridge and I find staying awake increases my success rate :). But if i wanted to sleep and a carbineer was in my face i would wrap it with an extra shirt, sock, hat or something. Guess my military mindset and years of mountain hunting is coming out..... Just don't understand all the posts about comfort.

DaveT1963 said:
Never been a problem for me as I use a three foot bridge and I find staying awake increases my success rate :). But if i wanted to sleep and a carbineer was in my face i would wrap it with an extra shirt, sock, hat or something. Guess my military mindset and years of mountain hunting is coming out..... Just don't understand all the posts about comfort.

I sleep through earthquakes. Where there's a will there's a way.

DaveT1963 said:
Not much to see 1hr before daylight, which is when i like to relax. I dont actually sleep, but that dont mean im not trying to. Lol

I try not to get too wrapped up in being comfortable, but easing the strain on my back and being in a comfortable position makes it much easier to stay still.

I use a two foot runner for my bridge and it's nice to lay my head on for a cat cap. But I would think a rope would be better. I hunt out of the Web but want to try the evolution.

I tried a long bridge but didn't care for it because I like the longer lead coming off the tree.

I was one of those guys who liked a short bridge. The carabiner in the face didn't bother me, but I did eventually figure out that I'm more comfortable moving around and sitting still when I use a long bridge. I sorta followed Dave's advice and hook up at eye level and have the bridge within a few inches of the tree strap. The only drawback is going around the tree. Fortunately, I've been hunting out of much smaller trees eighty percent of the time, so that hasn't really been much of a setback

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

essdub said:
I was one of those guys who liked a short bridge. The carabiner in the face didn't bother me, but I did eventually figure out that I'm more comfortable moving around and sitting still when I use a long bridge. I sorta followed Dave's advice and hook up at eye level and have the bridge within a few inches of the tree strap. The only drawback is going around the tree. Fortunately, I've been hunting out of much smaller trees eighty percent of the time, so that hasn't really been much of a setback

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

W hen i hunt bigger trees and i use steps in conjunction with my platform. What i do is i use a Samson rope. I just stand up on platform and i move the rope in the direction i want to move first. Then I step to the next step.

Back