• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit drag and one stick climbing?

Williston716

I've not found anything about one stick climbing with a sit drag and r/c harness. Is it doable?
Would I just attach to the r/c harness while climbing, and to the sit drag at height with harness as a backup?
And what harness would be recommend?

I've not found anything about one stick climbing with a sit drag and r/c harness. Is it doable?
Would I just attach to the r/c harness while climbing, and to the sit drag at height with harness as a backup?
And what harness would be recommend?

Doable - did it for yrs but not comfortable.

Alpine BOD

I've been in a sitdrag and rc harness from the time i got into saddle hunting (2017). I've gone through a couple of evolutions. currently im in a "double sit drag". if you search the archives here you'll find threads with examples/plans. for me its comfortable enough to sit all day - no hip pinch with proper bridge length - and i added a belt with cobra buckle for convenience.

rc climbing harness i have is a clymb brand. harnesses are super subjective so long as you go with a reputable brand with appropriate ratings your best bet is to go to an REI or climbing gym if you can access one and try on different models to find one you like. remember its just there in case you fall - most of your time you're not feeling the rc harness so its really only noticeable while climbing.

i am attached to the rc harness while climbing (sitdrag is clipped around me with belt mod) via tether. once setup at hunting height in clip my bridge into the beaner currently clipped into rc harness and then remove rc harness from the beaner to transfer load to the sit drag. ill then run a backup loop on tether that clips to rc harness as a backup should my bridge fail for some reason.

i one stick and rappel so at end of hunt i simply clip rc harness back into tether beaner, remove bridge from beaner and then setup rappel. hope this helps!

From the archives:

^ You may find this helpful to keep the Sit Drag in place. I also recommend the Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness.

And here's an easy way to add a lineman belt to the RCH:

I've been in a sitdrag and rc harness from the time i got into saddle hunting (2017). I've gone through a couple of evolutions. currently im in a "double sit drag". if you search the archives here you'll find threads with examples/plans. for me its comfortable enough to sit all day - no hip pinch with proper bridge length - and i added a belt with cobra buckle for convenience.

rc climbing harness i have is a clymb brand. harnesses are super subjective so long as you go with a reputable brand with appropriate ratings your best bet is to go to an REI or climbing gym if you can access one and try on different models to find one you like. remember its just there in case you fall - most of your time you're not feeling the rc harness so its really only noticeable while climbing.

i am attached to the rc harness while climbing (sitdrag is clipped around me with belt mod) via tether. once setup at hunting height in clip my bridge into the beaner currently clipped into rc harness and then remove rc harness from the beaner to transfer load to the sit drag. ill then run a backup loop on tether that clips to rc harness as a backup should my bridge fail for some reason.

i one stick and rappel so at end of hunt i simply clip rc harness back into tether beaner, remove bridge from beaner and then setup rappel. hope this helps!

The back up loop that you connect rc harness to is tied into your tether, and untied to rappel down?

From the archives:

^ You may find this helpful to keep the Sit Drag in place. I also recommend the Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness.

The alpine bod harn
From the archives:

From the archives:

The belay loop on the alpine bod harness connects to the leg loops only?
Wouldn't the belay loop configuration where it connects to leg loops and the waist be better?
BD560_5__69085.jpgblack-diamond-equipment-bod-harness (1).png

The alpine bod harn

The belay loop on the alpine bod harness connects to the leg loops only?
Wouldn't the belay loop configuration where it connects to leg loops and the waist be better?
View attachment 77256View attachment 77257

You hook your carabiner thru the waist belt on the Alpine. I used both. The Alpine is easier to get on & off. No difference in comfort.

You hook your carabiner thru the waist belt on the Alpine. I used both. The Alpine is easier to get on & off. No difference in comfort.

I see what you mean about the Alpine being easier.

You hook through both, that is through the waist belt and the bridge that connects the leg loops?

This year I hunted out of a Misty Mountain RCH + Dryad Drey. Similar effect to your SitDrag. I climbed on the RCH, deployed my Dryad at height, and stowed it before descending.

I'm no expert but I understand that RCHs are generally built to the same safety specs, but differ on various factors - weight, comfort, accessory points, etc. Since you're likely augmenting with a battle belt or MOLLE on your sitdrag you won't need a bunch of extras on your RCH. I would recommend a linesman's belt, though.

The belay loop you're seeing on the BOD is meant to be joined to the waist belt with the carabiner to which you attach your lines, or to the lines itself. There's some discussion in the rock climbing world regarding nylon-on-nylon friction vs carabiner-on-nylon friction and which attachment method is better for your style of climbing. I won't summarize it and suggest you research that point on your own.

I put a 2' sling on my RCH. I put my climbing/rappel line directly to the RCH, and clip my hunting tether to my sling. At height I tend some slack into my rappel line, install my Figure-8, and clip that to my sling as well, with my friction hitch "third hand" below the Fig8. I like it, but 2' is a bit too long, go with 12-18".

Back