• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit? Stand? Combo?

putt4doe

Vendor Rep
Sep 30, 2014
What do you guys find most comfortable? Sitting? Standing? Switching between the two?

I like to be as still as possible in the woods and slowly scan back and forth for movement. I find I'm most comfortable in the evolution while standing up fully reclined back - however - after 2/3/4 days of am and pm hunts, the arch of my foot hurts so bad from it being the pressure point I have to sit with my knees in the tree. So I basically am reclined with my legs locked for the most part(75%) and kneeing into the tree for the other 25%

Just curious what you guys do as far as sitting/standing goes.

Autumnrider

Jun 22, 2015
Northeast Mississippi
YAHOO
twoshotlaw2008@yahoo.com
I like to enjoy the hunt and not put myself in any stress. I switch back and forth but rather be sitting hoping the deer will pass at 1 o'clock to 5. I don't have to do much moving for that shot..plus the web is super comfortable.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I sit with my knees on or straddling the tree most of the time. For a break I will stand, or move around the tree so that I can give certain parts of my body a break.

The only time I really have issues with things getting sore is during the rut. When I do 10 all day sits over the course of a couple weeks, that really starts to take a toll on my knees, even with knee pads.

jhicks54

Apr 12, 2014
This is one of the reasons I decided to listen to the suggestions to give the new Guido's Web a try. No need to pack/wear knee pads, and the ability to sit much more still.

When I'm in the Anderson sling, I usually switch between 30 minute sessions of standing/'kneeling'. My feet are also pretty sore afterwards.

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
D. All of the Above

There are many comfortable positions I use in the Tree Saddle. I usually switch every position every 30-45 minutes. Since you can make the switch with very little movement, and I'm usually hidden by forks in trees, I've never felt like it affects the amount of deer I see. If anything gets sore, it's usually my back. I've thought of engineering a back strap that would connect to each side of the bridge.

Mike K

Oct 29, 2014
NJ
g2, have you tried the back support strap that New Tribe sells? I have it and recommend it highly. Attach it to your bridge with two prussic knots and you have all the adjustability you would need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 185

BassBoysLLP

Vendor Rep
Sep 28, 2014
Re:

jhicks54 said:
This is one of the reasons I decided to listen to the suggestions to give the new Guido's Web a try. No need to pack/wear knee pads, and the ability to sit much more still.

When I'm in the Anderson sling, I usually switch between 30 minute sessions of standing/'kneeling'. My feet are also pretty sore afterwards.
This is also why I switched.

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
Mike K said:
g2, have you tried the back support strap that New Tribe sells? I have it and recommend it highly. Attach it to your bridge with two prussic knots and you have all the adjustability you would need.

I haven't. I didn't even know they made one. I use a trophyline saddle so I wonder if it would work for that. I'll check into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Apr 2, 2014
New Jersey
No matter what stand you use saddle, web, or otherwise sitting in one position produces pressure points and that's why patients in beds get bed sore after being in bed too long. No matter what stand I'm in I have to move or adjust to stay comfortable there's just no way around it. Ladder stands were the worst for me and the most comfortable being the Summit climber, but even with that I had to shift and move around after a while because it started to produce those pressure points, it just took longer than some of the others.

For me the advantages of the saddle type systems are that they are made to allow free movement and subtle adjustments on the fly. Also the ability to move around the tree quickly and easily while still being safe and secure is of paramount importance to me when I'm hunting from a tree with a saddle type system. Over the years I've had so many deer on the wrong side of the tree or lock up behind me and not offer a shot because of the position of the stand. Now that I'm using my Aero Hunter I'm hoping to eliminate or minimize that problem because I can move around the tree if that situation happens. I also feel that by slowly moving from time to time it keeps you from getting stiff and sore plus keeps you focused on the task at hand, spotting deer before they spot you!

I've had a couple times in the climber where I was too comfortable and started to nod off while hunting. Then all of the sudden the deer were right in front of me and I was caught off guard so I let them walk rather than spook them. I've also had ladder stands that I was so stiff and sore from that after a short time I kept standing up to stretch my back. Unfortunately, by doing that I busted deer that I didn't see in the heavy cover. I think there is a fine line between being comfortable enough to get the job done and being too comfortable or uncomfortable that you lose focus or concentration, however, that's just my opinion based on my experiences in different stands. The bottom line is what works best for you is what you should use, but keep in mind not even a ten hour sit on your couch will be totally comfortable unless you move or adjust from time to time.

Good Hunting, Roger