• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

So I have been looking for brackets

Peterk1234

That I could use for a platform. I finally found these, 3" by 3" with slots for a strap. I also should have the ability to mount a mini platform, about 3" by 6", should I want to increase surface area (think I will). I ordered five and will report back. I plan to put all five on one ratchet strap. Thoughts? Pete

Bracket.jpg

That's very interesting...

If I was to ratchet-strap a bunch on a tree, could I muffle/decrease the ratcheting sound with some careful finger-work?

Looking forward to hearing feedback on how these work.

I would definitely take a file to the edges of the slots to protect the strap. And wrap them in something to take away the clang while walking and setting up. I don’t see why they won’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's very interesting...

If I was to ratchet-strap a bunch on a tree, could I muffle/decrease the ratcheting sound with some careful finger-work?

Looking forward to hearing feedback on how these work.

I found it pretty easy to keep a ratchet quiet by just holding back the locks.

They finally showed up. They are plenty big. I love the width. They seem to be rock solid. I have no experience with steps so I need your opinions. I will post pictures of the slight modification I had to make; it took all of two minutes.

They are very light. It is cast aluminum, so my only question is overall strength. I will try to break them when I have more time to play.

The one on the right is not modified. The one on the far left was cut so the slot and the hole became one. This was not the way to go because it made the step a bit "top heavy". The rest of the brackets were done correctly. Increase the slot toward the top of the step. This created a lot more stability. You have to make the slot larger in order for the webbing to fit through. I did it with a hacksaw blade and a drill bit. The metal is very soft, so it is easy to work with. They will need to be silenced though. They sound like cow bells when clanked together.

20180130_164805.jpg 20180130_163743.jpg 20180130_171911.jpg

I would definitely take a file to the edges of the slots to protect the strap. And wrap them in something to take away the clang while walking and setting up. I don’t see why they won’t work.

My first thought also. Need to make sure the strap will not become damaged. Especially for presets because you will not inspect as often.

Those look promising.

What the heck are they for other than for saddle hunting platforms?

What the heck are they for other than for saddle hunting platforms?

I believe they are used as supportive brackets for furniture (corners). They even have little triangle thingies on the backsides to kind of dig in to whatever you are bracing. At five bucks a piece, it is a pretty inexpensive alternative. I was thinking of buying a bunch and using them as presets, as well as one set for run and gun.

They weigh about 5 ounces each; quite light. I will probably go with another bracket. This is all I had lying around the house.

I have lightly filed the edges but because the whole thing looks cast, I really could not feel any sharp edges. I will round them off though. The aluminum is very easy to work with.

So, what can I wrap these things in that will silence them when I am setting them up?

I believe they are used as supportive brackets for furniture (corners). They even have little triangle thingies on the backsides to kind of dig in to whatever you are bracing. At five bucks a piece, it is a pretty inexpensive alternative. I was thinking of buying a bunch and using them as presets, as well as one set for run and gun.

They weigh about 5 ounces each; quite light. I will probably go with another bracket. This is all I had lying around the house.

I have lightly filed the edges but because the whole thing looks cast, I really could not feel any sharp edges. I will round them off though. The aluminum is very easy to work with.

So, what can I wrap these things in that will silence them when I am setting them up?

Stealth strips I suppose.

Back