• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Some help from you filmers...

IkemanTX

Oct 16, 2015
So I am toying around with the idea of doing some filming of my scouting/hunts in 2019 and kind of wanted to bounce some ideas off guys that may have some experience.

A vast majority of my filming will be done on my IPhone Xs Max for convenience, price, and pack-ability reasons. I already have it, it has really nice cameras on it, there are inexpensive fumbles available, Moment makes some awesome aftermarket lenses for a reasonable price, and it has access to a LOT of third party software to control all kinds of the filming aspect... no sense buying a dedicated camera at this point just for filming scouting/hinting. That can come later if I really get into it.

I really like the cinematic quality of shooting in 24p but but I am having problems with it looking jittery any time I pan a shot. I don’t know if it stems from the optical image stabilization native in the iPhone, or if you really just can’t pan with any speed while using that low of a frame rate. I know 30p or 60p would be an easy switch, but the overall look afterwards just isn’t as polished or professional as 24p.

For reference, I am using the native app and I’m not entirely sure if it is rendered in 24p or if it is still shot in 30p and pulled down to 24... I know that can definitely cause jittery ness if that is the case.

I will eventually get a third party app to do my filming in (currently looking at filmic pro) and I know for sure the video in that app is recorded in exactly whatever format you tell it, no pull down and no extrapolation. That alone may solve my problem.

Anyone have any recommendations for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IkemanTX

Oct 16, 2015
@flinginarrows @g2outdoors
Who else produces good content that’s on here.... my mind has gone blank.

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
Sep 19, 2014
That’s just how 24p is unfortunately. That low frame rate is less forgiving on moving shots and will have that jittery look. I always film in 60p just for simplicity and I can slow it down 50% in editing. Can always play with settings and even mix frame rates for different look/feel for different clips.

Reactions: IkemanTX

jryser

Jun 4, 2017
That’s just how 24p is unfortunately. That low frame rate is less forgiving on moving shots and will have that jittery look. I always film in 60p just for simplicity and I can slow it down 50% in editing. Can always play with settings and even mix frame rates for different look/feel for different clips.

I film the fellas on The Hunting Public a few times a year and we always do 1080p/30fps. There are times when we will film in 120 on the X150 or even 240 on a GoPro if we are doing shooting shots. Flingin is right about 24fps; you can do some nice things in post depending on what you use. Premiere is all I know so I cannot make claims on other apps but I sure like using it!!!

Best of luck and I’ll help when I can too!

catman529

Jan 14, 2018
Film in 60p and downsample it to 24p when you export the movie from the editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MissionOutdoors.net

Sep 25, 2018
I film in 60p so if I want to slow something down a little in post I can. Or speed ramps. Like walking into a puddle, slow for the step and splash, then back to normal speed. Kind of fun just trying different stuff.

Bourdeau

Dec 23, 2018
Caroga Lake, New York
YAHOO
scottbourdeau@yahoo.com
OK so what's the best all around DSLR lens for the actual hunting footage not the b roll or the setup before the hunt but the actual tracking the deer in to the kill stuff?

mattsteg

Sep 26, 2018
Film in 60p and downsample it to 24p when you export the movie from the editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Or 120 if you can (you can perfectly downsample 120 to 24 if you want, but can't from 60)

jlh42581

Nov 30, 2014
PA
tinyurl.com
Its this basic....
60fps or higher = Slow Motion or Hyperlapse only, mostly slow motion, you could catch an arrow with it but to film in it always isnt great
30fps = todays standard for TV
24fps = movies, this cinematic look is called motion blur. It should be the least jittery

The key to good footage is using a lot of locked off shots. Basic little tripods or gimbals even hand held. DJI makes a pretty neat little cell phone specific gimble that will allow you to track motion. They really highly favor the IOS system too more than Android.

https://amzn.to/2WzkBNe

My feeling is that the lighting and audio are probably more important than the video. You can shoot 4k and downgrade if you want too or just let it 4k. Most consumers dont have anything that truly supports 4k right now so you will take a penalty on bigger files for that smaller audience. You can now buy mics for gopros and cell phones. Id buy that before Id buy a phone lense. Youre going to severely lack zoom in a hunting situation. The first time I tried to film anything I thought id do it purely on DSLR and that just didnt pan out well for me. You dont have time to change lenses for each situation. I get youll have some digital zoom on your phone but it wont be great to film hunting. Youll need to set it up and have it ready to go quick, which means youll burn up battery. Phones do not like jump right into a video mode like turning on a camera.

If you really want to save money but film on the cheap, Id get a SJ4000 like camera and run that. Better yet, the cheaper camera I run works EXTREMELY well for $200. https://amzn.to/2CdTT5e

The R800 will do 60, 30 and 24fps

Here you can see the difference in these two cams. Note that although this video doesnt show it the m50 will shoot 4k, the r800 will not but 1080 looks pretty good, even better outside. What the R800 lacks is a cold shoe for the mic, but if you go this route I have that problem solved too. Let me know if you want a link.