• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spypoint Cell link, micro, or another brand?

Swampfox

Who has a review?

I’m about to jump into the cell camera game and was wondering if the cell link was decent enough to convert what I have now in to a cell camera?
I currently run approx 10 browning cameras during the season. While I may not convert everyone of them I would like to get about 6 on a cellular network. I hunt public land so theft is a higher possibility but so far I’ve only had 1 stolen in 5 years. I like doing shot bursts or video but not an absolute must have.

Who has some updates on actual performance now that the cell links have been out a few months?

Following. I have been researching them pretty heavy the last few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is pretty new, but the tactacam reveal has my interest right now. I"m waiting for them to be in stock again, and then I'll buy one to check out.

it is pretty new, but the tactacam reveal has my interest right now. I"m waiting for them to be in stock again, and then I'll buy one to check out.

Just found out about these today. Would love some real world reviews...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Just found out about these today. Would love some real world reviews...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, I'm hoping good reports come trickling in while I wait for them to be available again. Between this, the spypoint micro, and Moultrie, we have some pretty affordable cell options. I've never had a cell cam, so this experience will be all new to me as well. Don't forget the cost of the plan as a factor as well, although that has gotten really affordable lately.

I bought a cell link to try out but I haven't had the chance to deploy it. I have a fleet of micros in the woods, the longest since december. I am very happy with them for the price. The picture quality over the cell isn't close to other brands that I've used but it's ok. I get 100 free photos per camera per month which is the biggest plus for me. Monthly plans really add up when you start deploying a bunch of cameras. I'm setting them mostly on trails in the woods so unless a branch starts swinging in front that isn't a problem. They give me intel which is why they're out there. I've bought them on sale for $100 each and with no required plan I will continue to use them.

I’m about to jump into the cell camera game and was wondering if the cell link was decent enough to convert what I have now in to a cell camera?

Tactacam Reveal has my full endorsement.

A couple months ago I sold some of my other traditional trail cams, and purchased 2 Moultrie XA-7000i cell cams, and 2 Tactacam Reveals. I've had signal and server problems with the Moultrie's, and they've been majorly inconsistent. Both Tactacam's have been great! They are super easy to set up right out of the box, their reasonably priced (the lowest on the market I think), the data plans are definitely reasonable, pictures are good, and they've worked very well in the woods now for a couple weeks.

Their customer service has been fantastic too! These Tactacam's have been hard to find recently due to selling out everywhere, and rightly so, so I contacted their customer service about new production. They replied back very quickly and personably, telling me about their shipping process and where to look. Then, they even looked it up for me and told me where I could find them online right then! I ordered 2 more!

I think there's a reason you see almost all excellent reviews on the Tactacam's and they're selling out. Don't hesitate to try one!

I hunt public land so theft is a higher possibility

I have been taking a climbing stick or two, and hanging them higher, 8-12 feet off the ground. Angle them down a little by using a piece of branch or something else and it should be fine. That not only helps with possible theft, but will keep any unnatural light out of the deer's normal sight as well.

The Cell Link has been complete garbage for me. I’ll be going the Reveal route now I think. For the price it’s hard to best and I’ve heard some great reviews so far.

I have good luck with the micro LTE and the link-micro from skypoint. I have good signal on both (AT&T), nothing to complain about them for the moment (they been in the woods for a couple of weeks. Had a bad storm yesterday afternoon and knocked one of the down. But is back working fine this morning.

So I got a cell link for one of my cameras and I’m happy with it. Pics are ok but for 100 free pics a month..they ain’t that bad. One thing to note is put it somewhere with a strong cell service. I paid $5 for 50 JF photos. Turns out when the signal is weak it can’t transmit the heat pics. Lesson learned. I did get one pic that I think is a buck in the daytime or just a headless deer... pics below for quality and the screwed up pic
3dd9442011abb0c6349588ad947808fc.jpg

f0e9e231a36b299d9385b5c6b072b0a5.jpg

b101188454dc2ecb0f19c3a3e019c98b.jpg

Sent from parts unknown

I found a few Tactacams in stock today and have one taking pics already. Nothing to add to the already glowing reviews, except another positive vote.
7f59f243ca0a6ada24676e03a61cf199.jpg

Do the tactacam reveals have built in cable lock brackets or do you need separate cases to lock them to the tree?

The Cell Link has been complete garbage for me. I’ll be going the Reveal route now I think. For the price it’s hard to best and I’ve heard some great reviews so far.

Yeah, I’m having the same situation. I’ve gotten mine to work once. Since I’ve updated the firmware, I haven’t got mine to send me anything. I’m over it.

I ordered the Reveal from Gander Outdoors on July 19th cuz it was about the only place that showed them in stock at that time. Two days later they email me and say it’s on backorder. But said it was expected in stock soon. I wasn’t particularly happy because they were $113 there and some other places had them on sale for $99 but also out of stock. Weeks go by ,meanwhile they are in stock a few other places for $99. I call Gander and they tell me they are expected in end of August to early September. I tell the rep that I could’ve gotten them elsewhere and only ordered cuz it said they were in stock. Meanwhile everyone else is running out of them again. All I get is an “I’m sorry; we can cancel your order if you’d like”. 5 days later I’m still waiting for my money back. I will never again order anything from Gander Outdoors. I can even understand them not showing out of stock at the time I ordered because of how fast they were selling but at least tell me it’s gonna be 2 months upfront, not expected in stock soon.
Matt

Back