• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Squirrel meat. Any good?

bigmike23

Thought about trying squirrel hunting as I've seen no less than 25 my last 3 hunts. I never had the meat. Recommended and if so what's a good recipe?

Thought about trying squirrel hunting as I've seen no less than 25 my last 3 hunts. I never had the meat. Recommended and if so what's a good recipe?
i enjoy it....squirrel hunted a ton as a kid. id stay away from fried as it tends to get chewy...my favs are squirrel dumplins, stew, or gravy. First time my wife had it was a couple years ago and we made the dumplins..she loved it

There ain't many ways you can fix them I don't like. There's a squirrel rollup recipe by Parker Hall that you can do a web search for, I like to use for "first timers" that might be squeamish to the idea of eating tree rats. I like to throw several of them in a crook pot and cook them down till the meat is falling off the bone. Then use the meat in other recipes.

Last edited:
We had a big thread about it a couple three years ago. I think @Nutterbuster said instapot 'em and use the shredded meat all kinds of ways.

Still dreaming of justifying an EdGun Leshiy purchase to harvest 'em quick and quiet like, so as not to spook the bigger groceries.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Rinella's recipe for "hot wings" but with squirrel or rabbit is AWESOME. It's in the MeatEater Cookbook, but here's a brief video on it: RECIPE LINK.
My old man likes to sauté them down with mushrooms and marsala sauce, and that's a mighty fine way to eat 'em too.
Like most other wild game, you need to be very wary of overcooking squirrel meat, because it goes from delicious to tough and chewy pretty quick.

I'll also add that squirrel hunting is a great way to extend your hunting season, improve your woodsmanship/still-hunting techniques, introduce kids and other newbies to hunting, and also get some tasty meat.

I like it braised in a rich, salty sauce until it's falling apart. I'm not a fan of small game cooked to medium sort of temps, mostly too tough that way imo. That begs the question, do I really like squirrel meat, or not? I think I do. It's not much different than dark meat chicken, really. They can be a PIA to clean. Definitely recommend skinning them warm.

I boil them for an hour whole (gutted and skinned).

Let sit on counter for five minutes after.

All the meat is pull apart or fall apart.

Pick all the meat off and put in a bowl.

Use the meat to make any meat dish you otherwise make.

This is the least amount of effort way to eat high effort critters that I’ve found

I boil them for an hour whole (gutted and skinned).

Let sit on counter for five minutes after.

All the meat is pull apart or fall apart.

Pick all the meat off and put in a bowl.

Use the meat to make any meat dish you otherwise make.

This is the least amount of effort way to eat high effort critters that I’ve found

My grandmother would do similar. She would parboil. Then she would cover in flour and seasoning of choice then fey in butter, delicious and tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrel, gravy and biscuits is a culinary experience that one must do! If hunting with shotgun, watch for some stray shot you missed while cleaning.

NOTE: From my experience, squirrel seen while deer hunting are not present when properly equipped for squirrel hunting. In fact, you will usually be run over with deer when squirrel hunting.

TIP: If you don't have or see a lot of squirrel or get very few per hunt, then just clean what you have for the day and freeze until you have at least 6.

I've never felt inclined to try it, but squirrel hunting from a tree would be very effective. So much more visibility.
I thought about that yesterday as I was hanging in the tree. A 22 with a suppressor and I would have limited out on squirrels. Only issue would be collecting them up, would hate to keep going up and down the tree

Back