• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Step installer

lpv77

Guys that have the ultimate steptool, is it made of steel or aluminum?

Guys that have the ultimate steptool, is it made of steel or aluminum?
I think it might be aluminum but I'm not sure. I also couldn't find it on the website. It is very light, but I can see some slight deformation from all the use in the hole the step goes in, that is why I suspect it's aluminum.

Is it worth getting for Cranford steps... i just got some
I have never used it with cranfords, and I'm not sure it would work with how they pivot around the screw portion, but they go in so easy that I don't think it is necessary.

I think it might be aluminum but I'm not sure. I also couldn't find it on the website. It is very light, but I can see some slight deformation from all the use in the hole the step goes in, that is why I suspect it's aluminum.

I have never used it with cranfords, and I'm not sure it would work with how they pivot around the screw portion, but they go in so easy that I don't think it is necessary.
That is what I thought. I guess it makes buying Cranfords an even better deal

Is it worth getting for Cranford steps... i just got some
I take my previous statement back. I have never used their rod steps, and I'm sure they go in very nice, but the tool will definitely make them go in easier.

I take my previous statement back. I have never used their rod steps, and I'm sure they go in very nice, but the tool will definitely make them go in easier.
I just tried a rod step on a pine. It went in like butter. I have 4 folding cranfords and the rod steps seem no different.

Thanks. I wanted to make one
They are pretty easy to make. I made my first one for a couple bucks out of some parts I had laying around. Even had the mallet head from an old plastic hammer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I made my own. I like the Ultimate tool concept but wanted to make a few changes plus I like to tinker. I started out with a 9" length of 5/16"thick by 1" aluminum flat stock. I wanted to use 1/4" stock but the 5/16" is what I had available without having to order it.
For a handle I used a 3/8", grade 8 bolt 4-3/4" long. I ground down the threaded end with a belt sander to a point to mimic the taper of the Ameristep screw in steps. To make a "spinning" handle it took a 5/8" diameter piece of plastic, drilled out and counter bored to fit over the bolt. The hook end is a piece of angle iron milled to accept the step and attached to the aluminum with 2, grade 8 #10-32 flat head machine screws.
The point on the inside of the handle is to create a starter hole to more easily start the tree step. A good Wack with the point makes a divot about 1/4"-3/8" in the tree. When starting a step in the divot, it will start easily and only requires one hand instead of two hands (one holding the steps and one pounding the steps in) like the Ultimate tool requires. So far all of my tests indicate it works pretty well.

Tree Step Tool 4 (Medium).jpg

Tree Step Tool 5 (Medium).jpg

Tree Step Tool 2 (Medium).jpg

Tree Step Tool 3 (Medium).jpg

I made my own. I like the Ultimate tool concept but wanted to make a few changes plus I like to tinker. I started out with a 9" length of 5/16"thick by 1" aluminum flat stock. I wanted to use 1/4" stock but the 5/16" is what I had available without having to order it.
For a handle I used a 3/8", grade 8 bolt 4-3/4" long. I ground down the threaded end with a belt sander to a point to mimic the taper of the Ameristep screw in steps. To make a "spinning" handle it took a 5/8" diameter piece of plastic, drilled out and counter bored to fit over the bolt. The hook end is a piece of angle iron milled to accept the step and attached to the aluminum with 2, grade 8 #10-32 flat head machine screws.
The point on the inside of the handle is to create a starter hole to more easily start the tree step. A good Wack with the point makes a divot about 1/4"-3/8" in the tree. When starting a step in the divot, it will start easily and only requires one hand instead of two hands (one holding the steps and one pounding the steps in) like the Ultimate tool requires. So far all of my tests indicate it works pretty well.

View attachment 1986

View attachment 1988

View attachment 1989

View attachment 1990
I really like the point idea. I'm going to add one to the tool I made

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's awesome. If you ever get bored and decide to make a spare, I'd love to get one from you.

Back