• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sterling ATS for rappel?

justsomedude

UPDATE!!!!!!!! EDIT
Just tried it. It doesn't grab well on Yale Bandit. And if you go extra wraps for more friction, you get bounced as you let it out. It works fine set to "Option 1" (in the manual) and using an Autoblock below it.

Works better on Static line (as expected).

Any one tried it?
It is supposed to have more friction than the Petzl Pirana and it works with thinner ropes than the ATC.

It has the quick tie off functions like the pirana.

I'm interested in having more friction than my current ATC Guide and the possibility of not needing an autoblock.

Last edited:
My rock exotica mini 8 locks off very well. I drop down far enough to disconnect my platform, tie off my mini 8, and remove the platform. I have an auto block for a backup, but following the tie off process has been awesome.

I'm using 8mm samson ultratech rope.

You folks are epic. All this Spider-Man/Tarzan swinging on ropes stuff. Sounds cool

You should try it. Rappelling is miles ahead of putting your spurs back on and climbing down. No thanks.

Rappel feels much safer to me than climbing down. I just want a good bit of friction...I'm not in a huge rush :)

I haven't experimented with it yet but I am thinking about if there is easy way to autoblock using my 2nd Prusik (when on SitDrag/harness) or my ropeman. I find it tedious to wrap a Prusik for descent. It's easier with a short sling....but if it's already on my tether it is easy to hook up. The ropeman would have to be held open and you'd have to break so that might not work easily. Plus I have to hang on something while switching over to rappel. Prusik autoblock is probably better

I saw a Sterling video where he ran a Prusik above the ATS that he had to dress as he descended. If he let go, the Prusik stopped him. But you'd have to unload it to get going again. That's the good thing about running an autoblock below...you won't get stuck.

You folks are epic. All this Spider-Man/Tarzan swinging on ropes stuff. Sounds cool

You gotta try it man! So much fun! I just lower my spikes to the ground after I climb and when I'm ready to leave I am out of the tree in about five seconds lol.

You gotta try it man! So much fun! I just lower my spikes to the ground after I climb and when I'm ready to leave I am out of the tree in about five seconds lol.
What do I need exactly?? Please be specific

Descender: ATC, ATS, Figure 8, Petzl Pirana....And extra biner

Long tether. Stopper knot in the bottom!

Rope Retrieval: bow rope tied to tether loop

Practice switching from hunting Ropeman/Prusik to descender

I use 35' of 8mm New England rope and a Black Diamond ATC-Sport and that's it. Set the rope above my tether and hook into it and tighten until my weight is off my tether then take it off the tree and I am ready to come down. I have been using my self retract bow rope hooked to the loop to pull the rope down when I am on the ground but I just bought paracord and tied it to the loop so it will just stay with my rappel rope.

What do I need exactly?? Please be specific

There are so many rappel options. But once you do it I think you'll be hooked. It's so fun and easy. The only downside is it is a little more gear to carry.

There are so many rappel options. But once you do it I think you'll be hooked. It's so fun and easy. The only downside is it is a little more gear to carry.

My rope weighs 1.11lbs and my ATC weighs about the same as a regular sized biner. Not bad at all!

I am using this EXACT equipment/setup.

Rock Exotica Mini 8 Descender:
https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Exotica...478552786&sr=8-1&keywords=Rock+Exotica+Mini+8

Rock Exotica Carabiner:
https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Exotica...=1478552824&sr=8-2&keywords=rock+exotica+orca

Camp Delta Screw Link:
https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Oval-Qu...sim_468_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=AJ9V69DF3662DE169C67

Samson 8mm Ultratech (35 feet) with 1 spliced/sewn eye:
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1675

Samson 1.75mm Zing it Throw Line (35 feet):
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1693

Here are two videos on how to use the setup. Video 1 shows descending. Video 2 shows locking it off to retrieve your platform.

When you are ready to rappel down, run your Ultratech 35' rope around the tree through the Delta Screw Link. Attach your descender/carabiner to your rope and then to your Saddle. Attach your Zing it to the Delta Screw link and keep it separate from your rappel line. Rapell down far enough to remove your platform. Lock off your mini 8 decender. Remove your platform and continue your rappel down the tree. When you get to the bottom, pull the yellow Zing It line (that you attached to the Delta Screw Link) to retrieve your rope. It's actually pretty simple.

Last edited:
wow!!! thanks for the input fellas, it looks like ill be rappelling regularly next season

I learned by setting up my platform at knee height and rappelling down from there.

Next I went up about 5 feet and practiced 2 or 3 more times. At that point I was ready to give it a full height try. Not gonna lie - my butt hole was puckered up pretty tight.

I learned by setting up my platform at knee height and rappelling down from there.

Next I went up about 5 feet and practiced 2 or 3 more times. At that point I was ready to give it a full height try. Not gonna lie - my butt hole was puckered up pretty tight.

LOL it sure is a scary feeling at first!

Much scarier the first time in the woods coming down in the dark. I guess it's a little more comforting knowing the wife would eventually find me in the backyard and hopefully call 911 if things went bad.

I'll be honest I hunted a few times with intentions to rappel down but chickened out when it came time lol. The last two hunts I've done it and it went perfectly fine. I think it will be my main way down from now on. I think it's safer really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first time I rappelled I got down a few minutes early so I would still have daylight. It went well. No issues for me at all. It feels pretty darn safe too.

Back