• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stung by USPS

Ckwilli

SH Member
So I sold a Stan release, not on here, and shipped it via USPS. I mailed four packages the same day and all have arrived at their destination except the release. USPS is showing “label created, waiting for drop off.”
The postmaster said he remembers the four packages but admits he didn’t scan them because “I had too many and I was ready to go home.” Needless to say the customer is wanting to know about his package and I have no answers. Hopefully it shows up and he’s honest about it since I have no way to verify that it was delivered.
Anyone else had this issue? How did you handle it with the customer and postal service?

I always ship insured, but if it was never scanned they may try and say you never dropped it off “officially” in spite of what the postmaster said.
Ultimately, if the buyer paid and never received it, I feel it’s on the seller to make them whole by refunding the money.

I always ship insured, but if it was never scanned they may try and say you never dropped it off “officially” in spite of what the postmaster said.
Ultimately, if the buyer paid and never received it, I feel it’s on the seller to make them whole by refunding the money.
I’ll refund him no question about it. I’m frustrated with the postmaster who slacked on his job and now it’s probably going to cost me. I’ve ordered stuff that arrived and USPS still shows it’s in route so I know it’s possible it’ll arrive as planned. Hopefully the buyer is an honest guy and will let me know he got it. At this stage I don’t have much faith in humanity though.

I’ll refund him no question about it. I’m frustrated with the postmaster who slacked on his job and now it’s probably going to cost me. I’ve ordered stuff that arrived and USPS still shows it’s in route so I know it’s possible it’ll arrive as planned. Hopefully the buyer is an honest guy and will let me know he got it. At this stage I don’t have much faith in humanity though.
I’ve had really good dealings with strangers that bow hunt ( for the most part) I bet it works out.

Sets coffee down…….
I sent a package to a friend in Texas. I have mailed at least 20 packages to him over the last several years. Never an issue. I watch the package as it adventures across the south east United States. Arrives in Houston. Then goes out from there. Then nothing for about a week. My friend confirms no package has been delivered. Next thing I know, I see it on its way back to my location. Then the mailman tries to deliver it to my address but instead leaves a note saying no secure area to leave package. So I go to the post office. They can’t find it. Go figure. I go in two days later. They find it on the “postage due” shelf. The USPS originally charged my $14 and change to ship to Texas. They then made me pay another $14 and change because they said someone had to pay for the shipping back. I used this magic I learned on the streets called logic and started to argue. I could tell who the big dog was in this fight and it wasn’t me. It was that GS-04 Gov employee with authority. I paid the 14 clams and rolled straight to UPS. Told the lady my story and she didn’t even charge me to send it back to TX again. This all just happened since the beginning of February 2023.

Sets coffee down…….
I sent a package to a friend in Texas. I have mailed at least 20 packages to him over the last several years. Never an issue. I watch the package as it adventures across the south east United States. Arrives in Houston. Then goes out from there. Then nothing for about a week. My friend confirms no package has been delivered. Next thing I know, I see it on its way back to my location. Then the mailman tries to deliver it to my address but instead leaves a note saying no secure area to leave package. So I go to the post office. They can’t find it. Go figure. I go in two days later. They find it on the “postage due” shelf. The USPS originally charged my $14 and change to ship to Texas. They then made me pay another $14 and change because they said someone had to pay for the shipping back. I used this magic I learned on the streets called logic and started to argue. I could tell who the big dog was in this fight and it wasn’t me. It was that GS-04 Gov employee with authority. I paid the 14 clams and rolled straight to UPS. Told the lady my story and she didn’t even charge me to send it back to TX again. This all just happened since the beginning of February 2023.
I mailed a pack frame a while back and USPS wanted close to $75 if I remember correctly to ship it. I went to UPS and it was less than $20. Should have learned my lesson but I didn’t.

sorry this is happening to you. i can't get anything big shipped to me by fedex, the local freight distributor lies and pretends to have attempted delivery, (ive no exaggeration spent a full day on the front porch and had an electronic notice come in that they attempted delivery during that time for one of them) and forces you to go pick up at their storage warehouse. i was burned by this on 3 separate occasions buying furniture or TVs, it is so frustrating because the size of the items is the ONLY reason i'd paid extra to have it shipped, and then i ended up having to take time off work, rent a truck, and break my back anyway. phone calls and complaints are ignored. at least i have a pickup again now, but sheesh. #solidarityvent

Don't completely give up hope. I've had packages get delivered without ever being scanned.

A couple of years ago I gifted some milkweed to a member herein from Louisiana. Very small, light box. I take it to our local post office, pay for it to ship, approx. $6 and head out the door with my tracking number. Next day I check the tracking number before forwarding it to the recipient and it says "Out for Delivery". Sure enough, I get home at lunch and find the box of milkweed in my mailbox. They had reversed the "From" and "To" addresses. Six bucks to ship a box of milkweed less than a mile. :tearsofjoy:

On my way back to work I stop at the Post Office and try to explain their mistake. All the marking is still on the package and even though it was obviously their mistake I still had to pay another $6 to get it on its way again. It actually made it that time.

A couple of years ago I gifted some milkweed to a member herein from Louisiana. Very small, light box. I take it to our local post office, pay for it to ship, approx. $6 and head out the door with my tracking number. Next day I check the tracking number before forwarding it to the recipient and it says "Out for Delivery". Sure enough, I get home at lunch and find the box of milkweed in my mailbox. They had reversed the "From" and "To" addresses. Six bucks to ship a box of milkweed less than a mile. :tearsofjoy:

On my way back to work I stop at the Post Office and try to explain their mistake. All the marking is still on the package and even though it was obviously their mistake I still had to pay another $6 to get it on its way again. It actually made it that time.
High dollar milkweed

Here’s something that I can’t wrap my head around with UPS. I ordered something from Amazon. I see it ships out of Dallas / Fort Worth Tx. Great straight short across 20 to Monroe La. I check the next day and the package is in Jackson Ms. It went right through Monroe to go 2 hours east sit for 2 days. Then sent 2 hours back west. I guess I was the only person that ordered anything at all from Amazon that day. Lol

We have recently had to start taking packages to the Post Office vs having them picked up at the shop because they would not scan at pick up most of the time. Then, would sit in the mail truck/van and not move 3 of 4 days after pick up.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

A year or so ago I ordered an item from Dallas. It passed through my local post office three times before it was delivered. It traveled through four states and was within five miles of my house on multiple occasions. It took over a month to finally get the package.

INSURANCE! In my experience if you put extra insurance on the package it will arrive at the location. USPS has never lost a package that I put extra insurance on. Seems like they tend to keep up with those better. For $4.30 you can get $200 or for $5.65 you can get $300. Well worth the investment IMO if you are shipping something worth over $100.

Back